• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Forming!

Ice is starting to form on the creeks and in a few bays on the smaller lakes the last few days in the Off Lake, Clearwater/Pipestone Lake area. We also got a light skiff of snow tonight. Be sure to line up your Ontario ice fishing adventure now while prime dates are still available.

No reports yet, but the satellite images still show the main stretch of Pipestone is open. Should freeze up soon then I will be making a trip up within a few days. Everything will be good by Jan 1. I will post after I make the trip or if by chance someone heappens to be up before me, but not likely.

According to the resort owner where we stay, Crow has been frozen over for a while. Looks like according to Sat. images it is still open on the Eastern Basin areas...We won't be up until the weekend after opener..looks like it was a good move..

Still open water on Pipestone (shore-shore) reported by a local pilot. Travel is not advised on Pipestone yet, just have to keep waiting. Smaller lakes in the area have good ice and are safe. The big trout lakes are all still holding on.

Superbee-what are the snow conditions on the ice like? We will be up on Friday and 3 of the 4 of us only have sleds-wondering if we are going to need to bring the wheeler and pull everyone else behind-Is there enough snow to get around with sleds? I like your honest reports and believe you to be the best source for conditions-looks like we will have to chase eyes, perch and crappies on LOW-

Travel with sleds is good, 2-3"'s of snow on ice today. If you can get to some of the smaller trout lakes they will be froze good. Portage trails with heavy canopy cover have minimal snow. The open water on Crow is towards the East end. You should even be good on the West end, just use caution. May not get to where you were hoping, but still able to pull a laker out of the ice.

Thanks for the snow update-we have been watching the satellite images and have seen the open water areas as well-we haven't fished any of the other small laker lakes in the area so that's probably not an option for us-we will probably hit the fishable water on Crow and head over to LOW-