• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for anyone hunting Aberdeen area next week.

Just checking in to post about my 2nd week out in SD.

Only did a 3 day trip (Wed thru Friday) this time but hunted hard for all 7 hours each day.

Wed and Thurs were very windy and cold. Hunted West of Aberdeen this trip and saw more birds overall but way more hens than roosters.

Wednesday we only jumped 9 birds and 8 were hens all day and the rooster got up 30' from me and I was stuck with the sling on my shoulder and couldn't get it off cleanly and missed that opportunity. (needless to say the sling came off when I got back to the truck).

Thursday my GSP pointed 11 hens by noon, 18 birds for the day and in the last area we tried he got birdy and started to follow a trail and got out about 90 yards in front and he 4 roosters busted out in front of him (out of range).

Friday we were in a large grassland area that was 2 square miles and we pointed 19 birds by noon with the first 18 being hens. It slowed down after that and only jumped a few more for the rest of the day. It seems like west of Aberdeen gets hit harder because it is easier terrain to walk with the short grasslands. East is more cattails and thicker swamp grasses which is probably tougher for the older folks?

All in all, it was very valuable experience for my GSP watching him work. There was numerous times where he would disappear around the back side of a hill down wind (behind us) and I had to go back around to find him on point. He is definitely catching on to how the birds are operating and is able to find them. I am just not picking the best spots for him to find the roosters. I don't know of anywhere in MN that I can go out and get my dog on over 50 wild birds for training in 3 days so that alone was worth the trip.

Here is a picture with our 1 rooster from Friday with a 24" tail.

full-17729-14075-trigger.jpg

Definitely coming back next year...If this is what its like in a down year...I will have a lot more fun in years to come grin