• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disease killing deer in western ND

I posted this in the Deer Hunting forum, too.

Just saw this. I thought blue tongue was bad. One more thing to worry about...

Story link

And the story for those who can't get the link to work:

Disease killing white-tailed deer in western North Dakota

BISMARCK, N.D. — North Dakota wildlife officials say a disease that kills white-tailed deer appears to be present in a large part of western North Dakota.

Game and Fish Wildlife Chief Randy Kreil says the department received isolated reports of deer deaths from the disease known as EHD in August, and reports have continued to come in. He says more than 13,000 white-tailed deer hunting license holders are eligible for refunds, and Game and Fish is suspending the sale of remaining licenses in some hunting units on Friday.

EHD is spread by midges. It is almost always fatal to white-tailed deer but not to mule deer. It is not known to affect people.

North Dakota had not had significant deer deaths from the disease since 2005.

I wonder if this has something to do with the email the NDG&F sent me a couple days ago. It looks like a mass email they send to all the hunters that got tags for the NE part of the state. Here's what it said:

From the ND game and fish department fall 2011 CWD and tb sureveillance

To all Deer hunters in the following hunting units: '2C','2D','2H','2I','2J1','2J2','2K1','2K2','3A4','3C','3F2'

Attention Deer Hunters:

The ND Game and Fish Department is requesting that hunters donate deer heads for the purpose of CWD and TB testing. The NDGF needs deer samples from the Central and NE corner of the state for the purpose of CWD and TB testing. Collections are occurring from deer units 2C, 2D, 2H, 2I, 2J1, 2J2, 2K1, 2K2, 3A4, 3C and 3F2*.

*3F2 Has special carcass movement restrictions in place please see the HSOforum for more details.

For more information and drop-off locations visit our HSOforum: http://gf.nd.gov/

Thank you for your assistance,

Daniel Grove, DVM

Wildlife Veterinarian

North Dakota Game and Fish Department

100 N Bismarck Expressway

Bismarck, ND 58501

Phone: 701-328-6300

Fax: 701-328-6352

For more information, visit the ND Game & Fish HSOforum at

http://gf.nd.gov