• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

drop shot

kerryd15

when drop shot fishing do you cast out away from the boat or do you try to keep closer to a verticle presentation?

I tried this presentation with live minnows and gulp minnows. When you feel the tap do you set the hook immediately or wait a second or two? When I tried this i was casting out, the line was flatter than a 45 degree angle, when i felt a tap I set immediately and missed over half the fish. Any help is appreciated, this was my first try with this presentation.

When I fish a drop shot it is primarily when I cast it out to structure or a weed edge or something. Although there are times when I fish it vertically, when i see fish on my graph. When setting the hook what i do is mostly lift my rod tip up and back while cranking the reel. This seems to give me a good hookup percentage. I also like to use a medium action seven foot rod which has good control when setting the hook.

There is a thread from maybe a year ago that covers this topic quite extensively. I make short casts and hold the rod tip up so that the rod and line make about a 45 degree angle. When I get bit, I reel down so that the rod is at 9 O'clock then set the hook to about 1 O'clock.

I dont like casting very far maybe 10 yards at most. Ive never used minnows, not sure I would on a drop shot.

When I get bit or feel a tap on a drop shot I dont set the hook immediately. I usually wait just a second to see if the line moves or see if the fish keeps holding to make sure its not just a panfish hitting the bait or sunny swimming with your bait, both will happen often. Im guessing you were getting hassled by panfish, especially if you were using live bait.

I drop shot alot out here in California. I fish vertically in deep water under the boat and I also cast them out away from the boat towards structure. When I first started drop shotting, the biggest problem i had was not getting good hook sets. I was trying to set the hook like I was texas rigging. Now I just do what some call a reeling hookset. WHen I feel a bite, I simply start reeling in my line. The small drop shot hooks do not require a ton of pressure to penetrate the mouth of a bass. With this reeling hook set technique, I dont miss anywher near as many fish. I hope this helps.

Hey, as many know, I rather enjoy throwing a drop shot. To the point that its almost a crutch.

What i have learned, what works for me, may or may not work for you. I can only tell you what works for me.

Casting distance is less important that casting accuracy. Even though the water is deep and some spots are large. casting accuracy is key. The more I fish a drop shot, the less I "Fish" it. some days it does help to shake the rod a lot, but for the most part, its best to just let it stew.

if your missing fish, try different weights and hook combinations. Also try different hook setting techniques.. Find one that works for you.

For me, I didnt have a problem hooking fish, but keeping them hooked..I ended up going to baitcaster and have not looked back. Nor do I plan to. I have the best hooking % with Stand out hooks, yet I know people who hate them. Be sure you use the lightest weight you can get away with without taking it too far to lightness.

Best of luck.

Question:

When I go fishing, it seems I can only find fish of any species in and around (and particularly, OVER) thick vegetation. This seems like it would make fishing a drop shot pretty impossible.

The only place I know of where I'd like to give drop shots a 'shot' is way up in Ontario, a few smallie locations over sand and rocks. However, the only places I know that are like that aren't exactly within driving distance for an afternoon of fishing.

Where are you finding fish that using a drop shot is possible?