• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Texas relocation?

bucketmouth64

Thanks everyone. Have to learn some spanish and learn Texanisms. While there we had to stop by BPS, which is less than 15 miles away! Let's see, switching from Gander to BPS, gotta love it. Cablela's is about an hour away. Don't want to go out and buy the saltwater stuff, but may try it by renting equipment if that's possible. Talked to some fellas at bps and they gave me some names of resovoirs and TX state fishery HSOforum to find other areas. Texas tanks, I'll have to remember that and check those out as well. I also might look up some guides and see how fishing is different, particulary in resovoirs. Never fished one. Wife and I are looking forward to possibly catching a biggun'.

I've spent 15 years of my life in Houston, TX. We mostly lived on the West side of the city, as far from downtown as we could get but still having a "Houston" address.

Here's a rundown of a few of your concerns:

1) Weather. It's hot, it sucks. The beach is ~40 miles away, and there's a pool in your backyard if you are lucky. You get used to it for sure, and I have gone out hiking Enchanted Rock state park in summer before. Drink lots of water if you participate in outdoor activities, sunscreen and hydration will get you through any heat.

2) Redneck-y-ness and Diversity: On my cul-de-sac we lived on, we were the only WASPs. In fact we were the only Americans. Houston has incredible diversity, it's this Minnesota thing that has me turning my head at too many white blonde-haired lutherans.

All in all, it's a huge sprawling city. That's the big thing more than the part of the country it's in. There are small pockets of outdoors stuff, but it's still pretty hard to escape "the city" when you live in Houston.

Also, the air sucks.

Congrats on the job and good luck! I've been to Texas; Lake Palestine by Tyler a couple times, and man I love that state. So much freedom down there, just don't speed or "drive in the left lane without passing." (Which MN should actually enforce as a law.) Hole in the wall BBQ joints are the best!

I heard only 2 lakes in Texas are natural lakes, every other "lake" is a backed up reservoir, and Lake Palestine is a reservoir, which means lots of Stumps and lots of stumps mean you will learn:

1. Where a stump is

2. Your boat doesn't have a paddle

3. The trolling motor battery didn't get charged the night before

4. That you might get lucky having a convenient wind blowing you back to the access, and believe there is a God and guardian angels.

5. You packed enough beer in the boat (because your from MN)

6. The nearest boat supply shop is closed on Sundays.

7. The cotter pin will fall into the lower unit if the motor is tilted up.

8. You have enough beer in the fridge (because your from MN on vacation)

9. The sun will be going down by the time you get done with a Charlie Foxtrot such as this.

10. A coat hanger can fish out the cotter pin.

11. The next day will bring hurricane-like rain and 30 mph winds...

12. The size and pitch of your prop so you can keep an eye open for extra used props for sale so this doesn't happen again.

A few days later you'll learn:

1. Some people don't use jugs that float for their "Trot-lines"

2. How heavy it is to pull up your anchor that snagged a few "sunken" trot lines.

3. You really know how to pack beer for the day.

4. You have a dull knife on your multi-tool

5. Your boat is too big to get to where the bass are spawning!

6. To buy a mushroom anchor.

But hey, you wont hit THAT stump again!

Seriously though, its a great state, big "craw-pees" and big bass man, good luck, enjoy it. You'll see a lot of "MN Nice" in those Texans. Very good people.