• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deleted my Facebook account . . .

Steve Foss

I have a different view of smart phones and work. I was an early adopter of the Blackberry and now have a Droid. I find that it allows me to keep up with current news and other things that I am interested in. I use it all the time to locate gas, restruants, information about communities I visit, etc. I just got back from the Big Island in Hawaii and the phone was invaluable to learn about attractions and culture. I also use it to keep up on work related issues, but rarely feel obligated to respond when I'm on my freetime. I also regulate the phones use. When I get in the boat it gets shut off and put in the glove compartment, along with the phones of whoever is in the boat. If I'm on a day trip with someone the phone is off and put away. I never carry it when I'm in the woods. I also have a rule that if I'm going to spend time with someeone, then I'm not going to share it with someoneelse who isn't even in the room or on the trip. I let my friends know this and they are all in agreement.

I'm with you DD. Do I need all the gadgetry? Heck no. Is my life better with it? I think so yes. Each to his own, but I have all my contacts in one spot, calendar, email, access to the internet, news, weather radar, Navionics lake maps, gps navigation, a still and video camera, music player, and a gazillion other fun and useful things all in one device.

well my self as a 14 year old enjoys facebook. almost to much but when Im on the lake you wont find me on there until the sun goes down. I mean its hard to see all of our friends and family when we cant drive but I see where you are going with the big brother stuff.

. . . and I feel like I've got nowhere to go!! gringrin

Seriously, I did delete it. Just a little too much Big Brother mixed in with the friend/family connection, of late.

Time for a brave OLD world. wink

It does make you wonder what we all did before the advent of all this social media.

For some reason I feel as though I lost a few more jigs...which was okay.

1) I liked The Facebook, heck not even all colleges were allowed in when I joined! Then it became "Facebook", the high schoolers and parents joined the party, and it stopped being cool.

2) Grandma, you really don't want to see the photos I'm tagged in, my "about me", or my wall. It's not that we're not friends.

Make a new social network and have it be college email addys only, just like "The Facebook", and it should be a facebook killer in 2 years.

P.S. anyone still have their livejournal?

I've thought about deleting my facebook account but I figure if "the man" can't track me via facebook their likely to kidnap me and implant a microchip in my brain instead. When considering the two options I've opted to stay on facebook. At least that way I can see all the funny cat videos people post.

Closed mine a week or better ago.

Do not miss it at all.

People get so wrapped up with all the gadgets and gossip pages they forget to go out and enjoy.

I see who I want to see and as far as what time your babysitter came over or what you had for supper, I could care less. I do not need Facebook to stay in touch with distant relatives, I do have e-mail. The rest is gossip and garbage.

I havent deleted my account on FB because I look at people hunting and fishing pictures. I delete all friend requests and dont play games or anything else. I maybe go there once a month. I have deleted friend requests from my good friend in real life and my mom. Its just a policy, nothing personal.

Shortly after i posted in this thread a year ago, i deleted FB. I think i had it for about ~4-5 yrs. Haven't missed it a day since; though i visited it about 3x a year prior...

I didn't like the continuous updating from people, seems like it is 90% of some people's life. Too much drama involved, and i just wasn't interested in that ccrp anymore.

More of a liability nowadays anyway - so i got rid of it..

Plus i love the look i get when someone says they'll add me as a friend...and i tell them i dont have FB. grin

1) I liked The Facebook, heck not even all colleges were allowed in when I joined! Then it became "Facebook", the high schoolers and parents joined the party, and it stopped being cool.

2) Grandma, you really don't want to see the photos I'm tagged in, my "about me", or my wall. It's not that we're not friends.

Make a new social network and have it be college email addys only, just like "The Facebook", and it should be a facebook killer in 2 years.

P.S. anyone still have their livejournal?

1) I remember that. My cousin (Colorado) had it a year before I did (Gustavus).

2) I said that same thing to my grandma. The day she friended me was the last day I actually updated facebook (aside from my profile pic)

and yep. My livejournal is still out there. Thanks for the reminder. hahahaha, apparently I had a lot to say back in college.

Facebook killer? Right. In case you haven't noticed, the biggest way that these companies grow is to appeal to as many people as possible. It's not exactly a good thing to go out and attract investors or have an IPO by saying "we have 35 million people". There are 21 million college students in the US, and only a fraction of people actually continue to use their college email more than a year after they graduate. Investors want to see HUNDREDS of millions of people, if not a billion smile

Nobody is going to get anywhere promoting some kind of elitist 'college-only' version. And what would you suggest happen to your account when you graduate? Should it be terminated? Or do you get grandfathered in? Because your (1) bullet above is that when the 'parents' joined it was no longer cool. College graduates become parents smile

Successful social networks attract customers of all age groups and try to retain them for life. That's why myspace didn't really work out -- it was focussed on high schoolers and never appealed to adults.

Hey Harvey. With 28,528 posts since 2005 on HSO. How do you even have time for face book?

I am SERIOUSLY getting up from my computer and going fishing! No really. Submit.

When one is retired, it is not hard at all to do.

When I helped with the ads sales here on HSO and was a Admin member then they rack up fast.

I do not post near what I use to any longer.