• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Live~Tobacco Gardens

Gene holds the current MT record for

Two years ago Rex, from Tobacco Gardens, and I were privileged to one of those once in a lifetime events. Two sauger, one crank. Really! No wonder I can’t wait to get to the lake. It’s been a long time since I was up at 4:30 and on the road before 5am. Something about Tobacco Gardens brings out the kid in me.

Western Sakakawea is home to the fall bite. It won’t happen today but it won’t be long. Sept 15 or so marks the beginning. I have a friend from Williston whom I expect to hear from twice this fall. Both times to brag about the huge walleye he just caught. Maybe that’s not bragging. Steve is just stating the facts.

We pull in around 7:15 and get the boat ready for the water. Rex is right behind and we exchange fishing info. He suggests I head west out of Tobacco. After coffee and morning radio we pick up our guest for the day, Gene, year round resident of Tobacco Gardens.

I burn about 50 bucks in gas looking things over and finally decide to drop in and burn $30 more in cranks on willows and northern. A smart man would pull up and make a move. I didn’t, least not till I was able to dump two more cranks.

Geez, I hate days when every snag hangs on for dear life and every northern inhales the plastic down to the gizzard. Gene just informed me that I have about 23 more to go before I reach my daily allowance. Bull, just like the weatherman he is way off. I would guess 35 to be more accurate.

All we have to account for morning’s fishing is where not to go and a heart full of badlands. Not a bad start. Every draw and bowl leaves me thinking we are just moments from a monster badland’s buck. Anticipation is half the fun right? No such luck. I did get a cool photo of a prehistoric petrified stump.

We pass some campers who took the paddleboat across the lake and set up camp. I mean a nice camp. I asked if they had any fish. The reply, “Yep, got one of these and I think the other one is a carp. The “one of these” was a drum. My kids see this picture of the camp and I won’t hear the end of it. “Daddy, when can we go camping?” I should have had kids when I was young.

It’s just before noon and the beacon is in sight. After releasing our share of whitebass and northern it finally happens. First Keeper! Maybe it’s coming together. More northern and a bass or two later and we have our second fish out of 9 feet. I’m feeling a pattern here.

Time to meet my guest: Gene ain’t no novice at this game. We were introduced just this morning and like any fishermen a couple of key questions get things warmed up fast. Few weeks ago he released a 42 inch northern over by New Town. Last winter he lost a 12 pound walleye at the hole. Several years back he set, and still holds, the state record in MT for sturgeon. What’s that? How big? Ya, I think he did mention that. 60 pounds!

Gene has been in the boat all morning waiting patiently for a chance to reel in a fish. I’ve been holding on to the idea of getting some video shot but it’s one of those days. It just ain’t gonna happen. I decide to let it go and get Gene into the action.

Another rod bends and I’m guessing northern. It is coming in heavy. 20 feet from the boat and all of the sudden it lets go. In comes my crank and a perch. Boy it would be tuff being a fish. Crank ~Perch~Northern, the chain of life. The perch ain’t looking so good but who knows, maybe he will make it only to be swallowed alive another day. I like being close to the top of the food chain.

The 5 to 8 mph wind is now up to 15 so we set up at Tractor Bay. What’s that? Ain’t heard of Tractor Bay. That’s cause I just named it. With water dropping fast guess what shows up. Geez am I glad I didn’t power into that chunk of steel when it was submerged.

Anyway, we start cranking in the direct vicinity and head west in 9 feet. I get the crazy idea to put orange in the water. By now a mudline is beginning to show and I’m thinking, go with something bright. Gene is glad I did. Number 4!

I was hoping to have a limit by three so I look up and ask for help. Moments later we have our second double of the day. Gene gets the first rod in and turns out to be the day’s best northern. I’m confident the other fish is a northern as he pulled line like a carp hooked in the fin.

Gene is working on the fish and I’m beginning to wonder why a northern would stay down like that. Somewhere in the fog it dawns on me. That ain’t no northern Schoneck, get the net. Best fish of the day. You go Gene. I check the GPS for time, 2:56. Thank you.

full-34939-12043-mudline.jpg

full-34939-12044-gene2.jpg