• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replica Advice

Map Guy

Hi guys,

I recently caught a nice muskie and I'd like to have a replica made. I'd like to be able to take a look at the designer's work before I order anything, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who does replicas in the Twin Cities metro area.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that does replicas in or near the Twin Cities? Any other advice related to having a replica made would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks for the help.

I had a replica made of a 52"er I caught on Leech. It was nice, and neat to look at, but ended up selling it to a friend to give to his kid for X-Mas. (he caught a fish of simliar size)

Honestly in hindsight, I would have saved my money and went on a trip, or bought a new rod and reel. I actually like my blow-up photos of big fish better than the replica on the wall.

Not the advice you were looking for, and certainly not trying to talk you out of getting one, just sharing a story.

JS

If you hold off on throwing down the big bucks for a while, hit up next year's musky expo, surely there are replica guys who go there and show off their work.

I don't know of anyone in the twin cities, but I've seen a few replicas I recognized as being from Lax reproductions at gas stations/bait shops around the state, so keeping an eye out at such places might be a start if you want to see someone's work in person.

go with LAX,,,,they are in wisc but hes the best for muskies has thats what he mostly does dont limit yourself to only the Twin cities for your last a lifetime trophy,,he comes to the expo and he also spends time fishing Minn the turnaround time is pretty good if you want it sooner,,,go over to the other musky websites and I think you will see a big endorsement for LAX

There was a thread on this a few months ago and I posted a video of my replica on you tube. the video doesn't do it justice but will give you a good idea. I highly reccomend LAX. IMO he is the best, whether it is a Leech strain, Wisco, Canadian, Green Bay, St. Lawrence etc, his colors and patterns are spot on and if you have a pic and measurements, he will match your fish perfectly. I was very nervous when I ordered it but when I got it, I couldn't be happier and he will be doing all mine from now on. Mine was a pale open water fish and he nailed it.

Start thinking about what pose you want, I like the moderate S Curve. How do you want the gills flared? And what kind of background or plaque you want and what you want it to say on there. Or do you want a 2 sided mount, coffee table etc. It can get expensive.

Good luck, the research is part of the fun.

Lax's work is very good and Joe Fittante is also very well known. Another one to consider is Artistic Anglers in Duluth. Their reproductions are very lifelike and guarenteed for your lifetime, even if you run it over with your car. I have several mounts done by them and all are exceptional.

I also went with Artistic Anglers in Duluth, I got my firt 55 incher done by him and he did an excellent job, I was going to get my 55.25 done also from this year, but I think ill save the cash. There are plenty of good guys out there that do nice work, by Artistic Anglers do a great job, and also they do a fast job which was a bonus....but that is just my 2c

Timmy

I'd second Fittante's work. I had posted several pictures last year of my 52" at this link http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2332710/1

or search for "walleyepro" and click on the musky art in home thread. included picture of the original fish and also a friend's fish when we were picking up our replicas from the musky expo

Jeff Frick of Big Tales Taxidermy did a great job on the 53.25 i caught last year. He even gave me a discount for letting him display it at the expo this spring. Turnaround was pretty quick and communication was great. he kept me informed on the progress throughout the process.

both of those fish are pretty killer mounts. i'd just have to get divorced if i ever caught one that big because my wife would never let me display one like that, and she'd probably also take the boat in the settlement since she knows that's the only thing i'd want...........

both of those fish are pretty killer mounts. i'd just have to get divorced if i ever caught one that big because my wife would never let me display one like that, and she'd probably also take the boat in the settlement since she knows that's the only thing i'd want...........

haha, now that is funny, but true.