• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye Delmon Young

Getanet

it's probably best for both him and twins. he's just not fit for the gardy/vavra slap hitting philosphy. leyland will let him swing the bat and he probably will do quite well.

too bad they didn't trade him last year when he would likely have netted us some good prospects instead of practically nothing. thought team would have learned their lesson about selling high this year with cuddyer but nope.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad they didn't trade him last year when he would likely have netted us some good prospects instead of practically nothing. thought team would have learned their lesson about selling high this year with cuddyer but nope.

This has gotten to be a history of failure. How many top-tier outfielders will leave here as free agents leaving us with nothing but compensatory picks???

Trading Delmon for nothing (at which I am a little surprised at) is bad enuf, but to Detroit? He is way too young and talented to trade inter division IMHO. That could haunt us....

They have an angle for trading him to the Tigers. They are going to tell the hitters to hit it to him. Good riddance, Delmon.

Good riddance!!! I don't care what they got for him...he wasn't happy here and the Twins were getting NOTHING from him...dead weight. Easy choice!

He may well go on to be a great MLB player...but it was NEVER going to be with the Twins.

Cut bait...move on......

Easy to say all these things about him but we still do not have anything in return and players to be name later will be prospects not a legit proven player. So we trade Garza and Bartlet and now Young nothing in a Twins uni now. Front office is bad at making any deals. Yeah not the best in left but can and will be a good hitter. He has been hitting better over the last couple months getting out of the low 200 and now 266.He was in the top Ten in MVP voting last year. He might not be a Hall of famer but Twins could sure use him some way. Young is going to see a lot of fast balls hitting in front of Cabrera. I hope he does good for the Tigers as long as the Sox don't catch up. Front office needs to get a clue. Until they get better with trades and signing free agents we will not be in a World series for a long time let alone get out of the first round of playoffs.

It's a good trade for Delmonzy, he goes to a first place team that will win the division and has a no nonsense old school manager. He'll probably do quite well with the Tigers, kind of a front runner, when things are going well, the game is a little easier to play. Unless he gets hurt by a fly ball!!!

how many outfielders have a 300/20/110 season on their stats? He is 25 years old. Last year he was great, this year he gets hurt and everybody is down on him. Sure he is not a great OF, but is Thome coming back next year? Prolly not, so then are we gonna have Tolbert getting AB in the DH slot? Bad trade for us I believe.

Lets look at the trades that we have made lately....

The Garza trade....disaster for the Twins.

The Hardy trade....disaster for the Twins.

The Young trade....disaster for the Twins.

The Santana Trade...disaster for the Twins.

And though not trades....

The Nishioka disaster.

The Casilla disaster.

Neither of these two are major league infielders on a playoff team.

It would have been nice to get a little bit more for him. The player to be named later never works out so we basically gave him and more importantly his salary away for nothing.

I don't see him sticking a needle in his rump "steroids" like Ortiz did when he left and hooked up with Manny and his drug dealer so I'm not too worried about Delmon blowing up and becoming the next David Ortiz. Lets face it the entire league knows you don't have to throw him anything over the plate and he'll swing at it. He's just not patient enough to draw a significant amount of walks so why throw him anything.

I think Delmon is who is at this point, a guy who has incredible hand eye coordination when it comes to hitting a baseball and is pretty bad in ever other aspect of the game.

They "tigers" are just making him happy in left=field for now as he will be a DH the rest of his career.

Shoulda woulda coulda on the Hardy deal nobody was complaining back when we traded him but now that he has had decent year unlike last year for us you guys are whining about it. No crystal balls in baseball peeps!

Good luck to Delmon who will be out of Detroit after next season!

Delmon will be just fine with the Tigers. Going to get more fast balls then he ever did here. That line up was tough and just got tougher. Not saying I'm the biggest Delmon fan but we needed to get something out of the deal and we didn't. If that was the plan to trade him they should of done it 3 weeks ago and got a relief or starting pitcher.

We'll take him. Gotta produce more than Magglio. Maggs is hitting terribly, and is a bad fielder. Just a shadow of the great player he was a few short years ago. Looks like he will not recover, so anything young Mr Young can give is an addition. Often, as you guys know, a change in scenery will fix some of the problems that can lead to a bad influence in the clubhouse. We're hoping for good things from Delmon. Didn't give up much at all for him, in my opinion. Hope last night is just a preview of comming attractions.

Yes, Casilla is a disaster. They were counting on him to be their 2B or SS for the year. #1, he has been hurt a lot, which is EXACTLY his track record, so no surprise there. #2, he just isnt that good when he plays. at BEST he is average.

I never liked the Hardy trade. We got nothing in return. Nothing. Just like this trade, we got nothing in return. You cant just keep trading away major leaguers for nothing, our farm system isnt producing right now. We need to trade projects and low level guys for major leaguers. Just think if WE would have traded a single A ballplayer with a high era for a 25 yr old major leaguer one year removed from a 300/21/112 season.

If I understand the hubub correctly, Hardy wasn't good for clubhouse morale. Behind the scenes stuff matters.

gardy has a history of dogging guys who aren't yessir, minnesota nice kind of players. unfortunately those are the kinds of guys that you need on the team; guys with a little fire and get the other guys motivated. gardy likes the aw shucks vanilla type kinds of players.

delmon will be sorely missed in minnesota, would have made a great DH next year. at 25 years old with a career .289 BA and .323 (nearly 1 for 3) OBP out of the 5 spot the last 5 years, i would say that's pretty darn good. afterall lets not overlook that is his hitting near .300 since the all star game... one heck of an arm, 2nd best on the team behind cuddy, but too bad the fielding never developed. i will be one of the few that will miss him it seems

Deal completed. We now know who the "player to be named later " is:

From the Detroit News:

That player is Lester Oliveros, who appeared in nine games for the Tigers this season. He made his big league debut on July 1 and went 0-0 with a 5.63 ERA, but has spent most of the season in Triple-A. He has gone 1-3 with a 6.43 ERA and five saves in 22 appearances for Toledo. Oliveros has been assigned to Triple-A Rochester.