• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodbye Delmon Young

Getanet

Apparently the Twins just traded Delmon Young to Detroit for absolutely nothing. Well, not literally. We did get something back in return, but this one has me scratching my head:

The Twins have traded Delmon Young to Detroit for minor-league left-handed pitcher Cole Nelson and a player to be named later.

Nelson, who was selected by the Tigers in the 10th round of the 2010 draft, pitched for Class A Lakeland in the Florida State league this season. The 6-foot-7 lefty is 5-11 with a 4.87 ERA and has been assigned to Class A Fort Myers.

In 84 games with the Twins this season, Young batted .266 (81-for-305) with four home runs and 32 RBI.

To replace Young on the 25-man roster, the Twins will recall outfielder Rene Tosoni from Triple-A Rochester.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a single A player. i'm shocked that that's the best they could do.

Not so fast...often the "player to be named later" is the key to these trades. Let's not throw Smith under the bus untill we know all the facts.

Trading Delmon for nothing (at which I am a little surprised at) is bad enuf, but to Detroit? He is way too young and talented to trade inter division IMHO. That could haunt us....

I am starting to wonder about Mr Smith. This is the same scouting dept, that traded away JJ hardy for pitcher Jim Hoey. Good greif....

Good riddance. It's not always about what you get, but what you get rid of, including...

--$5 million and change to use for resigning other OFs (Cuddy, Kubel)

--The most porous left fielder in MLB

Granted, Delmon will probably hit like crazy now for a few days and we will question the move at first, but that won't last long and we will realize it was a step in the right direction for a team that is many steps away from contending. Agreed, however, that trading him to Detroit is questionable judgement.

I wish Mr. Young the best in Detroit. Frankly I quite like them as a ball club, they just are a division rival. He wasn't going to get hot sitting here in MN, but if a change of scenery fires up his bat and he leads Detroit in BA and RBIs through the rest of the regular season and pushes some key runs in for postseason wins, I still won't be wishing we held on to him.

I think the move is as good for him as it is for us. I have no idea if it's good for Detroit or not.

Why not trade a terrible outfielder to a division rival.....we can now watch him misplay our shots to left field and actually help us!!!

That was kinda what I was thinking.

Oh and the first 2 throws can be junk pitches that he can swing and miss at just about every time he bats.

Hope he doesnt blow up and get reallygood.

LOL.

Always kinda liked him, I hope he does blow up and get really good. good for him then.

All you guys do down here is complain. Is there anybody on the team that enjoys some level of unanimous support?

Definitely won't miss Delmon's defense. Maybe this is a sign the Twins are going to go back to playing "Twins" baseball. Defense and fundamentals first and then offense. I sure hope the player to be named later swings this deal back in favor of the Twins.

My money says Delmon will pick up his offense the rest of this year. Hitting in front of Cabrera will help anybody!

Why not trade a terrible outfielder to a division rival.....we can now watch him misplay our shots to left field and actually help us!!!

Don't you think that's wishful thinking. We have to hit it there before he can screw it up. The way the twins have been playing I think Delmon is in good shape.

I won't miss the pinball game in left field. Have fun with one of the most frustrating players to watch in MLB Detroit. First McKinny gone now this... good to see these talent wasters go. Tigers are batting him 3rd tonight. lol.