• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins Postseason Thread

Guido

Oh yea....Who here is biting there nails finding out who we get to Play? Sox or Yanks? Who? Why would you want to play them? wink.gif

October is round the corner.

Lets Do it Twins!

Get out those homer hankys and dome cups folks. It is time for some Baseball. Yahoooo!

[This message has been edited by Guido (edited 09-27-2004).]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like the twins to play the yanks. i think our starting pitching will defifinitely be better than theirs, and it would be nice to beat the tar out of them.

1) santana vs. schilling and radke vs. pedro
or
2) santanna vs. mussina and radke vs. hernandez

i like #2

Red Sox = Perrenial Losers
Yankees = Perrenial Winners

Red Sox in the Metrodome
Yankees in Yankee stadium

Forget the pitching matchup, home field is the most import thing to me.

It wasn't long ago (The past decade) that Mussina was Kryptonite to the Twins. I don't want to see him return to that.

slimmer is right, or I mean piker. lol
Take domefield any day of the week.
The last thing you want to do is go into yankee stadium and have to win.

Personally I am looking forward to shilling pithing to guys like Lew, morneau and Stewart.
Bring it on. I cant wait to see how the cubs and redsox lose it this year. It should be a great playoff year. I just hope Anaheim does not beat out Oakland. ff

I think for the Twins to advance to the ALCS they need the homefield in the first round. Now they are tied with the Angels. A's/angels series this weekend will be very intersting . Twins need to win 3 of the last 4 to get the homefield as I think the Angels will beat out the A's, but how bad did Garret Anderson get hurt in Weds game?? The Twins need to play the last 4 games like they have not clinched, or face traveling to Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. Not a good thing.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I don't think home-field advantage is worth "playing like they haven't clinched yet." I just don't want the regulars beat up as they enter the postseason. Besides, while it would definitely be nice to have home field, I just don't think it's that important in this scenario.
Look at it this way: You only need to win 1 of the first 2 games on the road to negate the home team's advantage. We pretty much have a guarantee in Johann and there's no way both Johann and Radke lose. If that would happen, we'd be screwed no matter where we were playing.
It would be nice to have home turf, but not a necessity.

I didn't see the games, but since the Yanks took 2 from the Twins at home yesterday it seems to me homefield could be more important to the Twins. On the other hand, both visitors and home team get 27 outs. But then again, stadium dimensions can play a role. Also,......

I would definitely want to be the home team but you would think at this level it really shoudn't matter too much-at least not like football with all the fan noise.

Gene

In the playoffs, Santana won't come out after the fifth inning...

The divisional playoffs (first round) is a best-of-five; the Championship series is a best-of-seven. Assume you're going to meet the Yanks in the second round if not the first? Maybe better off facing the Yanks in the short series (Radke and Santana twice each), even if you're on the road.

I believe it's a good thing the Twins faced the Yanks last night, get the jitters of facing baseballs #1 team out of the way.

I suppose alot of those young fellas and probably some of the vets also, are awed by the Yanks. On the other hand the Twins are just another team to beat, for them.

The games were'nt that far apart, the Twins were just setting them up for when it really counts! GO TWINS!!!!

Hey, don't get me wrong. The Twins and me are tighter than.. well you get the point.
Last year the Twins won the 1st game in the Bronx. Then the Yanks won 3 in a row. It's Game 5 that I want to be in the dome. I think that's worth going for when your a .5 game up with 4 games left. True- I think Santanna would have beat the Yanks yesterday if allowed to pitch longer--- but the Yanks are different in the playoffs, it's just not the same. Look at the pitchers they have hit in the past 7 years in the playoffs. But it would be great to beat both Boston,Yanks and Cards in one year. I think the Twins have the potential to do it, it's their attitude and power of the mind that makes the difference. Go Twins!!!! and get that 1st round home field advantage.!!!!!

Think the Twins would benefit getting the 2nd best record (have to sweep Cleveland now and that's not even a clinch if one of the A's or Angels sweep) and play Boston rather than the Yankees???? See results from tonights game.
That place is magical for them this time of year. Not only did the yanks clinch, but they broke the single season home run record (I think of 241) of the 1961 Yanks on williams homer in the 9th. Man, I don't want to go their right away on Tuesday, hopefully the Twins will get some time to forget about these past two days and sweep Cleveland. GO TWINS!!!!

I don't think anyone ever said it wouldn't be helpful to have home field advantage, just at what cost?
Would you have left Radke or Santana in past the fifth inning in either of those games? Doing so would put us in a much better position right now in terms of home field advantage, but would it be worth it?
Remember how long Santana lasted in the postseason last year? Four innings ... then he left with cramps. Yes, our boys still won the game, but the bullpen was crippled for the rest of the series and we never recovered.

[This message has been edited by pikehunter (edited 10-01-2004).]

I know what you guys are saying about homefield and how the yankees play on their turf in October. However.......

Santanna TWICE
Radke TWICE

Should be able to take three of these as Santanna is almost automatic.

Ahhh, but you see the difference here, geenie wad, is that this is the Twins. A franchise built and maintained by winners. Not the Cubs, a franchise built and maintained by losers. I realize this may be a difficult distinction to recognize, but a fundamental one nonetheless.

Write it down if you want to: Twins = Winners. Cubs = Losers.

It was nice last year to see the Marlins knock out the SlumTown Flubbies. I mean, a franchise that had been around so long really deserved their second title in about a decade. That's ten long years of hard work and dedication. Their fans deserved another pennant. smile.gif

Wade,

Name calling by another Twins fan, huh? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Why are you so insecure to put down people that root for one team over another? Its just baseball.

You are obviously another unarmed man but you are right about one thing. The Twins have won more than the Cubs. You can keep the Twins then. For the playoffs, I'll take the Yanks. A little wager to show how committed you are to your "winners"? Steak dinner for me and my wife if the Twins lose.

Time to put up or shut up. I can understand if you have to check with your boyfriend first so let me know.

Gene

I think I tend to agree with Geno on this, thou not all the remarks were needed. I may be guilty of that also. But as a realistic, Twins fan, nothing in the postseason is automatic. Gene is right about Prior and Wood last year. Yeah, the team may have a history of being losers, but down here in DES BORING IOWA (home of the AAA Cubs) people were allready preparing for the World Series as Cubs fans. Not so fast. I agree, Santanna and Radke should get at least 1 on the road, but it's more than that. It's finshing off teams with that killer instinct, something the Twins have struggled with the past few postseasons. They were even up on the Angels 1-0. Anyhew-- to say you feel confident as a Twins fan facing the Yankees in the playoffs is good. But I'll feel better after were up 2-0 and 10-0 in Game 3 with Nathan on mound 2 outs, top of the 9th and 0-2 count agst Enrique Wilson before I get any further down the excitement road.
Gene- it was fun expressing and reading our point of views.

Thanks Mud,
I will try my best to revert to civility as I see you can too. Let's keep talking.

I would just like to see real good ballgames. At least this year has peaked my interest in ALL series. Lots of big name players involved this year. Really kind of like to see someone besides the Yanks win it though. Maybe the Twins???

Gene

Twins fans,
There's only one thing that makes me nervous (o.k. veeeerrrryyyyy nervous)
J.C. is NOT on a HOT streak, in fact he's on a "bottom of the barrel" streak. That fact makes the Twin's very vulnerable. Radke and Santana won't pitch complete games, and the bullpen is too thin now. I would put Mulholland in J.C.'s place and cross my fingers, he's the ONLY option for a lefty right now.
The Twins will give whoever they play ,all they want this year. They have better hitting and pitching than the last 2 years. I especially like the way they pitch Morneau, very carefully. Will be fun.

twins pulled it out tonight, but I am not liking the way gardy is managing this team. he is sitting to many starters, they need to play to stay on there game. why jones and stewart did not play tonight is a mystery to me, jones probally needed to play with his fathers death, instead of sitting in the dugout. santana and radke have pitched at least 7 innings as long as I can remeber, so why pitch them only 5 innings?
we have everything to play for, like home field in the first round against the sox, let the yanks get beat by them west teams. well if we win the next two, we will play the sox at home, silva tomorrow, you know will probally only pitch 5 innings, we better score some runs.

Knoppers,
I here ya loud and clear. Stew is nursing a injury and Jones has reason to be out. But, I think it would make a big thing in playing at home and including a possible 5th game. I will be upset if HI HO Silva doesn't pitch more than 5 innings if he's pitching good. He will not pitch until next FRI if things go like they should. The TWins need to get playing playoff baseball now. They had a glimmer of that friday night. When they see the crowd going nuts like they did friday night, that should be incentive to finish off the season and hope that they get home field !!!!!! Koskie looks like he's going to be a force to reckon with.
GO TWINS!!!!!!!!!!

Go TWINS!!!
I think the Twin's can match the Yank's pitching, the hitters will decide the series. If we go 1 for 11 with people in scoring position again , we'll lose, no matter who we play. They better have quality umps for this series, consistency is the key.
Will be fun, much better than seeing our team at home watching t.v. And yes, you can "put it on the board".