• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cuddy

Scott K

Quote:
Joe Christensen Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that the Twins have offered Michael Cuddyer a two-year, $16 million extension.

Cuddyer is making $10.5 million this season in a year that he's batted .301 with 18 homers and 60 RBI while making the All-Star team. The offer to the 32-year-old seems fair, but we also don't blame him for not jumping on it, because he could likely get more elsewhere. Ultimately, it would be a surprise if Cuddyer winds up signing with another team, as the Twins have made re-upping with him one of their top priorities.

I wonder if Cuddy and his agent laughed in their face or waited until after they left to laugh at the offer.

Given that he is 32 and just had a career year, and is able to play 1B, 2B, 3B, OF and even pitch, he definitely has leverage in negociating. I think he is without a doubt going to test the free agency waters. Given his age, I'm going to guess he is going to want 4 years and I doubt his annual rate will be less than what he is making this yr

Just as I expected...

Quote:
And according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune their attempt to keep Cuddyer in Minnesota began with a two-year, $16 million extension offer.

Christensen reports that “the conversations went no further” with Cuddyer “preferring to hold those negotiations in the offseason.”

And he’s smart to do so. Committing to Cuddyer for much more than two years and $16 million would be a big risk for the Twins, but he’s earning $10.5 million this season and there’s no reason for him to accept a pay cut before at least seeing what the open market is like.

I'm surprised they didn't offer him 8-9 mil/year for 4 years. A place on the team for four years would trump a slight yearly pay cut I'm sure, and this 2 year deal just seems too low for even the fans to not laugh at.

I doubt anyone would have expected Cuddy to accept that pay cut and only two years.

I can see Cuddy sticking it out as a career Twin...hope he does. I think he wants to be remembered as one of those core guys to have played for the Twins and have a chance at the Twins Ring of Honor...or whatever they may call it.

I think they're going to have to pony up a little extra cash to get his deal done and as a result, I think that spells the last of Kubel...and maybe someone else (Morneau). Way too much $$$ being spent on Morneau right now to justify him as being a priority as far a salary goes. Cuddy can play 1st base just fine...especially as he ages.

Lot's of tough decisions ahead...just wish Morneau had SOME actual trade value right now...he has none after the last few seasons.

Witn Mauer's pay and Morneau's, it will be very hard for the Twins to sign a larger contract for Cuddy or Kubel.

We also need a good starting pitcher and that will cost also.

In regards to Niki, I sure hope he starts to hit the ball as to date, he has been a dud at the plate.

Lots of dollars to spend to sign the better players. Someone will be leaving.

My guess is Morenau will not play well enough compared to his pay. Hope I am wrong.

the offer they gave him was a good one other than they could have given incentives based on production. he's having probably his best season this year but he's 32 years old and seems to be one of those guys that plays much better in contract years so the incentive laden contract would be right. I'd like to see them now offer kubel a similar incentive laden contract. think it was a mistake to not trade cuddyer while he's got the high numbers but by the sounds of it, the other teams just didn't value him as much as the twins do.

They should have traded Cuddy rather than just let him go to FA

+1. His value would never have been higher than this year, and would likely have landed the Twins a couple slid prospects. Instead, they continued to chase a silly pipe dream that they are a contending team this season, and will lose Cuddy for nothing but a compensatory pick.

Just because you don't care for the guy, trade him? Puhleese. Dudes only person on the team earning his paychecks this year.

Besides, we all know how well our trades turn out.

100% agree...Cuddy DESERVES every penny he can get out of the Twins and I hope he gets it. He plays EVERY game hard...good or bad...and that is something that needs to be respected more AND rub off on his teammates!! He has put together a very respectable career!!

He's not great...not a "superstar"...but think of where the Twins would be without him. He IS the "core" of the Twins...like it or not.

Pay him.

I've never been a huge Cuddyer fan, always thought he was okay but nothing to spend much on. This year, he has earned my respect and he seems to be the only guy with any toughness or zest for the game. Here's a comparison going back to the beginning of the 2010 season:

Cuddyer: Mauer: Morneau:

G: 265 - 192 - 136

AB:1016 - 709 - 509

R: 161 - 112 - 69

H: 287 - 224 - 150

2B:60 - 50 - 37

HR:32 - 10 - 22

RBI:141 - 96 - 77

AVG:.282 - .316 - .295

Cuddyer will be getting at least 4 years/40 million, and he probably has earned it. Man we have a lot of dollars in M&M for mediocre production.

Just because you don't care for the guy, trade him? Puhleese. Dudes only person on the team earning his paychecks this year.

Besides, we all know how well our trades turn out.

not because of like or dislike of the guy. it's simple economics. this team needs to rid itself of some payroll and re-stock for the future. he's playing at a level that is higher than his career averages so just like with the stock market, you sell high. just look at delmon for example. they could have gotten much more for him last year when he was having his great season (better numbers than cuddy will have this year). now it sounds like they get rid of him in the offseason for very little in return.

he's also 32 years old and by far the highest paid of the outfielders that they have too many of right now. many will say that he's carried this team this season and I won't argue that but I also will point out that he's carried them to a record that currently is double digits in games below .500 and getting close to having the royals catch up with them. Heck, you could say you were doing the guy a favor had they traded him to a contending team and given him the ultimate reward of getting a ring.

he's also 32 years old and by far the highest paid of the outfielders that they have too many of right now. many will say that he's carried this team this season and I won't argue that but I also will point out that he's carried them to a record that currently is double digits in games below .500 and getting close to having the royals catch up with them. Heck, you could say you were doing the guy a favor had they traded him to a contending team and given him the ultimate reward of getting a ring.

Imagine where they would be right now with out him.

Imagine where they would be without him? Well, Baseball Encyclopedia has his batting WAR (wins above replacement) at just over three wins, and I'm guessing his fielding is either neutral or slightly negative. So, the answer is without Cuddyer, the Twins would be in the same boat as they are now - out of the race.

In my mind, that is a slap in the face to Cuddy what they offered him. Look at his numbers compared to the over paid Mauer and Morneau over the past 3 years. If Cuddy leaves good for him. Go where you can win a ring because its not going to be in Minnesota while you can still play.

If you throw out his injury plagued 2008 season, Cuddyer has put up exceptional numbers 5 of the last 6 seasons. If there is a leader in the clubhouse, it is Michael Cuddyer. He can truely say he goes out there and leaves everything on the field every day. And I as a fan see it and appreciate it.

I would be quite shocked if the Twins didn't re sign him.