• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VENISON SAUSAGE FOR THE ADVENTUROUS SOUL

Reinhard just have to say thanks again for the amazing thread - just got an electric meat grinder so been making some fresh sausages (chorizo and country-style) and they have been turning out great. Going to try to find some casings this weekend and break in the stuffing tube!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. make sure you keep the tube wet so it's easier to slip the casings on. rinse your casings to get the salt off and then put one end up to the faucet in the sink and run some water in there and squeeze it all out. then keep the casing in cold water overnight and use the next day. this will make the casings a lot easier to handle.

also when you put the casings on the tube, put what you need on the tube and then push the casings forward so most of it's near the front. this way you will have a better flow. just saying this in case you never stuffed from a tube before. also dont fill the casings so full that they are tight. you want some play room so you can make links without breaking the casings. i also poke some holes with small needle like tool so some air can escape. this also makes the casings easier to make links with. i show the device [achualy a meat tenderizer] in the cooking GTG thread laying in a lugger with fresh polish inside. good luck.

Here is a recipe for hot dogs that interested me and will tweek just a little but pretty much keep it intact. instead of powdered dextrose which is a form of sugar but somewhat less sweet. when a recipe calls for powdered dextrose i just sub real sugar but go half the ammount that is called for in dextrose.

this is for 20 pounds finished product.

2 tsp gr. celery seeds

2 T gr mace

8 T paprika

2 tsp garlic powder [ i will use minced garlic that is in jars and wing the amount]

4 tsp instacure [the pink stuff]

2 tsp white pepper

12 T gr mustard seed

8 T powdered dextros [or 4 T plain sugar]

8 T salt

2 tsp black pepper

4 cups powdered milk

i would suggest to get 24-27mm sheep casings. most sheep casings found in stores in those vacume packed small packs are small and you would need a very small stuffing tube diameter. these larger sheep casings are expensive. i paid 50 bucks for a pound and a quarter. the smaller diameter are cheaper but hard to work with and are for pork links. i got them at Isanti Meats.

put the instacure in 3 cups of water [that's what i use for this amount] and mix well and set aside. since i'm out of venison i will use 15 pounds of pork butt and 5 pounds of 75% ground beef. grind the meats through a course plate. put all ingrediants in the meat mix and mix well. i use my hands. then grind through a fine plate once more. i dont emulsify for hot dogs. let the mix set overnight covered in plastic wrap to let the spices blend along with the cure.

next day stuff in casings in links. i put a meat thermometer in one link down the center. put in the smoker at 225 until the internal temp is 165 deg. then pull from the smoker and put in cold water to cool down. then pull from water let dry and wrap for freezing. good luck.

well i made the hot dog recipe over the weekend.full-35080-24282-img_0001.jpg

you can see the redness with the grey looking meat on top. that is because of the cure.full-35080-24283-img_0002.jpg

using the 28mm sheep casings were the key. as you can see by the pen next to a link they make the perfect hot dog size link.

full-35080-24284-img_0003.jpg

ready to be smoked.full-35080-24285-img_0004.jpg

finished product at 165 deg. ready for a cold bath and then to be wrapped. good luck.

Reinhard, several questions if you don't mind...

Is that the internal temp you want to hit--165? I thought I had read 155 before? Just want to make sure. Also, do you keep your thermometer in the whole time? Did you have to flip the links or rotate racks during cooking? Approximately how long did they cook?

Also, after grinding and mixing, do you think you could stuff the casings right then, and then put the links in the fridge overnight? It seems to me the meat gets awful tacky after resting all night and is harder to stuff the next day. Did you run into any problems? My stuffer looks very similar to yours, so if you didn't have problems, I'll try that same way.

Of the two hot dog recipes, which was your favorite? Thanks!

the temp of 165 is my preference since there is pork involved. i never consider them fully cooked. thats why i grill them some or simmer them in water for awhile first before eating. these 28mm sheep casings were very tender and handling the dogs after the cooking finish must be taken with care. i broke a couple taking them off the steel rack to put in the cold bath. they are tender to the bite as well smile.

yes i keep the thermometer in the whole time. stick it in one end in the center of the rack right down the center. the sides seem to get more attention from the heat so i do rotate them once. it took about one hour and 40 minutes, but keep an eye on the temp.

you could stuff them in links and wait till the next day but unless you hang them they sometimes loose their shape and get squeezed if they are put on top of each other. i dont have any problem with stuffing them the next day. the key is to use the proper amount of water or beer and to make sure you rinse, clean, and let your casing sit in water overnight also, so they are easier to work with.

i dont run into any problems like i used to years ago. you learn from your mistakes for sure. the recipe i posted last is the one i favor at this time. always tweeking here and there. going to put some jalapenos in the next batch. i give a lot of what i make to family, friends, and of course the neighbors. make sure you use the 28mm sheep casings. you should have a 1/2 to 3/4 in hole at the end of that tube or you will run into problems trying to get the casings on. any more questions just ask. good luck.

I have a question: If I'm making fresh sausage and I get to the stage where everything is ground and mixed up, but something comes up and I don't have time to stuff it into the casings, can I freeze that batch, and later when I have the time let it thaw and then stuff? Can it sit in the fridge for a couple of days before it gets stuffed?

Thanks

i would not recommend that. if you cant stuff it that day, try doing it the next day or up to 3 days if kept properly refrigerated. i would not freeze it and then thaw stuff and re-freeze it. another thing you can do is package it bulk if time is involved. good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I figured. I was going to do some links last night but some unscheduled things happened. I think I'll have time tomorrow ...otherwise BULK it is!