• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VENISON SAUSAGE FOR THE ADVENTUROUS SOUL

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reinhard, I was smoking a 50lb box of ribs last Saturday, so I

decided to try your cheddar brat recipe. Excellent, I followed your

recipe exactly, except I added high temp. cheddar cheese. I linked it

up in hog casings, and smoked about 1 hour at 195 degrees.

Thanks for the great recipe, definetly will be doing that again.

GARLIC AND PEPPER SAUSAGE

3 pounds pork butt with fat on

2 pounds venison [or beef chuck if your out of venison]

8 tsp minced garlic, about 10 cloves

5 tbls fresh course pepper, ground

3 tsp red pepper flakes

5 tsp salt [or 5 tbls morton tenderquick if you are going to smoke it]

5 tbls paprika

1/2 cup chopped fresh chives

1 cup red wine

grind the meats through course plate. mix the rest of the ingrediants well by hand. then grind through course plate again and let set overnight in the fridge. stuff the next day in hog casings. this is one recepie that requires more pork than venison or beef. it can be made with just pork also but the venison or beef is just so much better for texture and flavor in the mix. good luck.

MAPLE VENISON SAUSAGE

3 lb venison

2 lb fatty pork butt

2 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried marjoram

2 tbls kosher salt

2 tbls rubbed sage

1 tbls black pepper

1/2 cup real maple syrup

1/2 cup ice water

grind the meats through a course plate. combine the spices in a small container and mix with 1/2 cup ice water and the 1/2 cup maple syrup. pour everything in the meat mix. mix real well with your hands and grind mix through a fine plate. stuff in hog casing or sheep casings [for thinner links] or you can make patties. but this sausage tastes the best in casings. store in freezer.

This is absolutely AMAZING!!!! I just made up a batch last night and I seriously could eat it all day, every day for the rest of my life! Love the subtle hits of sage and maple syrup. Thank you so much for posting this and all of your recipes RH1! smile

glad you like it. i have made this baked in the oven to make it fully cooked in rings. you use the same spices except the kosher salt. in place of the salt you put 5 tablspoons of tenderquick [cure] [one tabls per pound of meat for tenderquick]. after grinding and mixing, let the mix set overnight and stuff in a hog casings. before twisting in links or tying two ends for a ring use a needle and make a few holes hear and there and then twist into links or leave an inch of casing on each end of a 10 inch stuffed link and form a circle and tie the ends with cotton string. put on a metal mesh. put a meat thermometer in length wise into a link. put the oven at 220 and wait for the internal temp to reach 160.

then when that temp is reached put the sausage imeadiatly into cold water until the internal temp is about 80 deg. dont take long. then let the sausage air dry for about 20 minutes and then wrap for freezing. to cook simply simmer in water until hot [do not boil]. or simmer in onions in beer for 15 minutes or so. just a different way of doing it. you will notice a different flavor by this method but still good. good luck.

i wanted to try a different addition to sausage i make so i added garlic herb instant mashed potatoes [straight from the box powdered] instead of powdered milk.

no name for this sausage yet

3 pounds of 70/30 ground beef

[if using venison i would go with 2 pounds venison and 1 pound pork butt]

3/4 cup powdered instant garlic/herb mashed potatoes

1 1/2 tbls paprika

3 tbls garlic pepper

3 tbls tenderquick

1 1/2 cups water

1 good tabls minced garlic [from the jar]

this is how i prepared it.

did not use the grinder. had a 3 pound tube of the burger. put the burger in a large bowl. broke the roll up a bit. spread all the ingrediants on the burger except the tenderquick. i put the tenderquick in the 1 1/2 cups of water and mixed it good. then i put in in with the burger. mixed everything well. covered the mix with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.

next day got my verticle stuffer out. soaked the hog casings till soft and plyable. rinsed the casings internaly with the faucet nozzel in the sink with cold water. put the casings back in some water. stuffed the sausage in hog casings in links. put the oven on at 220. put the sausage on a wire rack in the oven with some foil on the lower rack to catch any drippings. i put a meat thermometer right down the center of one link inserting it in one end. when the internal temp reached 160 deg. i took the sausage out of the oven and put them in the sink with cold water. the internal temp reached 80 deg. and i set them back on the wire rack to dry. then i wrapped them for the freezer. good luck.

the above sausage turned out well and i had good comments on it last night when i served it with my german/bacon sourkraut at a church meeting. so altering this a little i thought today i would try the same reciepe with only adding garlic/herb bread cumbs in place of the powdered galic/herb instant mashed potato's. alos the meat ratio and texture will change also. using the course plate only instead of the medium. also the meat mix being pork and beef.

No Name for it so far sausage 2

2 lbs. course ground pork butt

1 lb. course ground beef chuck [or one pound venison]

3/4 cup garlic/herb ground bread crumbs

2 tbls paprika

3 tbls garlic pepper

3 tbls tenderquick

1 cup water

1 good tbls minced garlic [from jar]

grind meat once through course plate. put all remaining ingrediants in meat mix except water and tenderquick. put the 3 tbls tenderquick in the one cup of water and mix well. put the water with tenderquick into the mix. mix everything well. grind once more with course plate. put the mix in a glass or plastic bowl and cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight so the cure and spices can blend.

next day stuff into hog casings. i cooked them in the oven. put the links still conected on a wire rack. put a meat thermometer in the center in one end of a link sliding it in length wise in the center. put the oven at 225. take the links out when the temp reaches 160 deg. then put them right away into cold water in the sink. take them out when the internal temp is 80 deg. put the links back on the wire rack and let them cool down further while drying, a few minutes. wrap for freezing.

prepare by simmering them in water for 15 minutes or simmering them in beer and onions for 15 minutes and serve on a bun or with fried potatoes which i will do tommorrow. good luck.

i will be doing all my cooked sausage in the Masterbuilt once i get it. this does give the option for those who dont have a smoker. yesterday i cut up 3/4 lb. of bacon and fried it until golden brown. then i sliced up some potato's and fried the potato's in the crispy bacon grease. when just about done i sliced up some of the sausage above and mixed it in with the potato's and letting it fry for another 15 minutes or so. my wife and her mom gave the sausage and potato's a thumbs up.

making small amounts is a great way to try new recipies and make larger batches if all goes well in the taste department. the fine ground bread crumbs [garlic/herb] acted as a binder and added flavor as well. good luck.

Fresh Polish Sausage

3 lbs. venison

2 lbs. pork trim [50/50]

2 tbls. garlic powder

2 tbls. kosher salt

2 tbls. sugar

1 tbls. course ground black pepper

2 tbls. paprika

1 tsp. marjoram

1 tsp. ground mace

1 tsp. celery seed

1 cup cold water

[if you want to make this a smoked sausage skip the kosher salt and in it's place add 5 level tbls. of tenderquick that is mixed with 1 cup of cold water]

grind the meat once through a coarse plate. put all the remaining ingrediants into the meat mix. mix well. grind again through a medium plate. if making it fresh i let it sit for a couple of hours in the fridge [covered] to let the flavors blend and then stuff into hog casings and make links. freeze.

if you are going to smoke or bake in oven, let the mix set overnight so the flavors and the cure blend in. then stuff into hog casings. then bake or smoke until the internal temp of a link is 160 deg. i do this in the oven on a metal jerky rack at 225 deg. until the internal temp is 160 deg. when i do this in a verticle smoker i will do this at 180 degrees so it's a longer cooking time but half that time will be with smoke. good luck.

try the "Traditional Southern-Style Venison Breakfast Sausage" on page 2 of this thread. the term "country sausage" is realy a breakfast sausage. for example years ago when i worked in a small meat market the same ingrediants that went into the pork links went into the country rings as well. just different size casings. pork links sheep casings and country in hog casings. good luck.

in the last two weeks i have made 25 pounds of venison kielbasa, 25 pounds of venison old fashion franks, and today finishing up 25 pounds of polish which i added extra garlic and 2 pounds of shredded chedder cheese.

i was a little hesitant to use regular cheddar shredded cheese instead of high temp cheese but after tasting the results i will use it again. not one drop of cheese leaked out of the casings during the cooking proccess. most of it melted inside the casings and blended in with the meat. tasted wonderfull. i have taken a bunch of pictures and just cant seem to get them on here. i am determined to do so. real frustrating. good luck.

Here's the recipe I have... I may have even gotten it from Reinhard:

VENISON WIENERS

• 2 lbs fatty pork

• 3 lbs venison

• 3 tablespoons paprika

• 3 tablespoons corn syrup

• 2 teaspoons garlic powder

• 1 tablespoon ground dried mustard

• 1 tablespoon kosher salt

• 2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper

• 2 teaspoons ground coriander

• 1 teaspoon ground mace

• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom

• 1 cup non-fat dried milk powder

• 1 teaspoon #1 Instacure (pink cure)

• Ice water (up to 2 cups)

1. Cut the pork and venison into 1-2 inch cubes and grind it twice through the smallest plate on your meat grinder.

2. Combine all the spices and cure, except for the corn syrup, and mix well.

3. Pour the spices, cure and the corn syrup into the meat and mix it all by hand very thoroughly. Then place the mixture into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

4. Working in small batches, emulsify the meat mixture in the food processor. Add small amounts of water as needed to get a nice consistency.

5. Stuff the emulsified meat mixture into casings and prepare them for the smoke house. You should allow the links to air dry for at least 30 minutes.

6. Make sure to cook the wieners in the smoker until they reach an internal temperature of 152-155 degrees F.

Ken, the frank recipe i have is on page one on this thread. i do not emulsify the meat. i like the old fashion style of semi course texture. i have been adding 1 cup of dried powdered milk to every 5 pounds of meat mix [as you have pointed out in previous posts]. also instacure for smoking or cooking in the oven. i have done this with sheep casings. but now i use hog casings. just like a bigger link in the bun. good luck.

i like your recipe. the only thing i dont do is emulsify the meat. but that is up to one's liking. nothing wrong with that. another thing that is a good idea to do is to give the dogs a cold bath in water after cooking. this helps in cutting down on shrinkage plus it keeps the link smooth. after the cold bath [about 5 to 8 min] let them dry before wrapping. good luck.

full-35080-19781-sausage2017.jpg

full-35080-19782-sausage2027.jpg

full-35080-19783-sausage2015.jpg

full-35080-19784-sausage2018.jpg

top pic- getting ready to stuff smoked kielbasa

next-overnight in the fridge for the seasoning and the cure to set. see the redish color from the cure.

some stuffed with meat thermometer ready to smoke

last finished product. smoked venison kielbasa. good luck.

Kielbasa is basically a Polish sausage.It is a amoke and garlic flavor.

Tenderquick contains a cure mixed with salt.You smoke at low temps.No more than 175 degrees.The smoker is at low temps with little oxygen because of all the smoke.This is an environment for food poisoning.The cure keeps that from happening.It also turns the sausage red.