• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VENISON SAUSAGE FOR THE ADVENTUROUS SOUL

i have tried that and it did work fine. however here is the thing. potatoes need to be cooked but not to the point of ready to mash them. years ago we used to buy pre cooked potatoes already cut in chunks that would come in 18 lb bags. we used them becouse we made 100 lb. batches at a time. here at home i make a 30 lb. batch and like to know what goes in my sausage so thats why i use my own cooked potatoes. but i agree, buying precooked hash browns work fine. it is when you use raw potatoes that the potatoes will turn un-apetizing looking dark for sure. good luck.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHEASANT SAUSAGE

2 cups onions, diced

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 lb. fresh boned pheasant[could use grouse as well]

3 lbs. boneless pork butt

2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

5 eggs

hog casings

in a saucepan, cover the onions with water and boil 5 minutes, then drain. scald the milk with the bread crumbs, then cool. chop the pheasant and pork in a food processor using the steel blade or grind the meat through the fine plate. in a bowl, mix the pheasant, pork, onions, salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg and the milk soaked bread crumbs. add the eggs one at a time and continue to mix well after each egg. fill the sausage casings and twist into links. you can make patties out of this as well.

you can cook these by using half water and half milk and simmering them till they get white and fully cooked. then brown them on the grill or in a pan with butter. good luck.

SOUTHERN VENISON BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

17 lbs. venison

8 lbs. pork butt

3/4 cup salt

6 tbls. black pepper

5 tbls. rubbed sage

2 tbsp. red pepper

1 tbsp. ground nutmeg

1 tbsp. ground ginger

1 tbsp. mace

hog casings

grind the venison and pork through a course plate. mix all remaining ingrediants in the meat. i usaly add one bottle of beer for moisture. grind everything again through a fine plate or medium plate depending on the texture you want. stuff into casings or make some patties also. good luck. [this is for fresh sausage] if you want to make smoked links or rings make sure you add one ounce of prague powder cure or 1 oz of foran n/n cure [basicly the same stuff]. this cure must be mixed in a cup of water first and then put in the batch of meat and mixed in. i would also add 5 cups of dried milk to the mix if you are going to smoke it. i cup of dried milk per 5 pounds of milk. good luck.

VENISON PARMESAN SAUSAGE

3 lbs. venison

2 lbs. pork butt

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tbls. minced fresh oregano

2 tsp. black pepper

1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese

2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup dry white wine

hog casings

grind meats through course plate. mix all the ingredients with the venison and pork. grind again through a fine plate. pack it down and cover the mix and let stand a couple of hours in the fridge to let the seasonings set. stuff in casinings into links or rings. cook or freeze properly. good luck.

VENISON SAUERKRAUT SAUSAGE

2 lbs. venison

1/2 jar sauerkraut

4 small potatoes[cooked almost fully, or 3/4 done] cooled and peeled.

3 small onions cut up

1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

2 eggs beaten

1 tbls salt

1 tbls black pepper

1 tsp caraway seeds

1/2 tsp. gr. sage

1/2 tsp. marjoram

1/2 tsp. thyme

hog casings

course grind venison, kraut, potatoes and onions. add remaining ingrediants and mix well. grind again through a medium plate. stuff into hog casings making rings by tying ends together with cotton string or make links.

the rings can be gently simmered in water or beer and onions poking little holes in the casings with a needle or fine fork a few times to prevent the casing from bursting open. remember to simmer gently covered and turning the ring over half way through. then brown in a pan with butter or get brown marks on the grill. same with the links. good luck.

KLOBASA VENISON SAUSAGE

1 whole head garlic

water

4 lbs. venison

6 lbs. pork butt

1 tbsp. black pepper

3 tbsp. salt.

1 tsp. ground marjoram

3 cups ice water

hog casings

process the garlic in a little water and let the mixture set for 1 hour. cut the meats into strips and place in a large pan. add the spices, garlic, and water and mix well. let the meat mixture marinat in the refrigerator for an hour. grind the meat with a medium disc and stuff the casings to make 8" to 10" links. store in the refrigerator for to 3 days or package and freeze.

to cook, pan fry by putting a litttle water in a frying pan and adding the sausage. cover and steam the sausage for a few minutes. uncover and boil off water. brown the sausage on one side. then turn and brown the other side.

Klobasa and saurerkraut make a fine dinner. first, put a little water in a frying pan, then add the sausage. cover and boil for about half an hour. take the pan off the stove and drain. add the sauerkraut to the pan. add some more water, and simmer until the saurkraut is heated. good luck.

IRISH VENISON SAUSAGE

1 1/2 lbs. venison

1/2 lb. pork fat

1 oz. unseasoned bread crumbs

1/2 tsp. ground allspice

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. dried sage or marjoram

1/8 to 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/8 to 1/2 tsp. mace

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/8 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper [optional]

coarse grind the meats and add all the ingrediants. mix well. then grind again through a fine plate. let set for a couple of hours and then stuff into hog casings or make patties. good luck.

So I have a sausage question... I've never made it before, and am toying with trying it this year.

So my question is - what constitutes usable scraps for sausage making? I do a lot of canned venison (which I brought up in another thread) so a lot of the typical sausage stuff gets used for that - basically if I can get a 1/2" chunk of meat off cleanly without silver skin or too much fat, it goes in the "canning" pile. But I still have some odds and ends that seems usable. It's just odds and ends of stuff I end up with that isn't really waste like silver skin or fatty stuff - it's just random little scraps of meat here and there.

Is that stuff worth using for sausage? I have maybe 3 or 4 pounds of the stuff so it'd be a small batch of sausage, but it'd be something to get my feet wet with to see if I want to do more next season.

I'm starting from square 1 here with the sausage making thing, so forgive the dumb questions. In the past we've taken scraps to a locker plant to have sausage made, and I have no idea what they do with it from there smile

Thanks -

RK

those are usable. 3-4 lbs of venison will yield 4-6 pounds of sausage. Keep the tallow and silver skin to a minimum for a good outcome. Use good quality pork trim or shoulder and you will be pleased with the outcome.

Good Luck!

Ken

as far as scraps of venison is concerned as long it is meat it's fine. as far as silver skin is concerned, it's ok if there is some on the meat [not just silver skin of course]. however deer fat or tallow is not recommended to be put in sausage. it has an off taste as you probably already know.

generaly as you can see by the recepies for venison sausage, there is pork fat or pork butt to use as a compliment for flavor and moisture. if you look at some of the reciepies there are some were small amounts of meat are used. it's a good idea to make your first batch small to see if you like it and then expand the amounts of meat and ingredients for larger batches. if you dont have a stuffer than make the sausage into patties.

if you have any questions, just ask and i will go step by step with you or PM me and i will give you my phone number. i will take the time to make sure you get started properly. even using casings for the first time, need helpfull tips ect. good luck.

Use good quality pork trim or shoulder

What makes it good quality? How much fat to meat??

Was looking at some summer sausage that I got back from my deer and the local butcher shop, supposedly he adds 1/3 pork to your 2/3 venison, sure looked like a fat to me - for $2 a pound!! Was thinking that if I had them do more, I'd like to ask to see their pork that they grind into the vension trim.

i have no idea what type of pork they use. most likely 50/50 picnic or pork fat. i'm finding it difficult to get pork fat now since a lot of pork now comes in pre-wrapped or in vacume packed containers [whole loins or butts for example].

i'm sure there are some good places to take your trimmings. basicly it comes down to one thing--making a profit. you provide the meat [venison] they provide labor, spices, casings, trim ect. ask around if your not happy with the end result. my guess most use 50/50 picnic and i have known some to use beef fat in the past.

for summer sausage [venison],salami, and thuringer that i made recently i used 20 pounds of venison and 5 pounds of pork fat. also added 5 cups of dryed powdered milk as a binder. turned out great. i personaly dont like that 1/3 pork trim for summer sausage at all. way too much fat but a good way to make money.

i think what was meant by quality pork is strait pork butt. the 1/3 pork trim is more for breakfast sausage, italian and brats for example. i have been also using 80 percent ground beef to my smoked kielbasa to compliment the pork and venison for more flavor. good luck.

I have gone to my butcher and asked for pork butt or shoulder or some good quality pork trim. He has always gave me what looks to be about 2/3rds lean to one third fat. Always at a pretty good price too... $1.19 to $1.49 / pound.

Reinhard will be able to answer meat questions much better than I. I adjust the amount of pork used each year based on how much fat is in the pork... generally I add 30-40% pork to Venison to get what I'm looking for... bacon burgers are 4 lbs venison to 1 lb pepper bacon. That is as light as I go, but it also has a lot more fat in the bacon...

Good Luck!

Ken

where do you go for that price? that is realy a great price for the leaness you describe. i have bought a 60 pound box of bonless picnic for that price but that's usualy 50/50 but it does vary at times. i go to sams for pork butt and it's usualy under 1.70 a pound. but what your getting is a great price and the way it sounds good trim as well. good luck.

TEQUILA CHORIZO VENISON SAUSAGE

2 pounds venison

10 oz pork fat

2 med onions chopped

8 garlic cloves, pressed

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup tequila

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. allspice

1 tbls salt

sheep casings

grind meat with coarse plate. mix all remaining ingredieants well. grind one more time through fine plate. put into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. store overnight in fridge. next day stuff into sheep casings, wrap and freeze. fry like any other sausage. good luck.

Reinhard,

You have some great recipes. I to love to make sausage and try new

recipes. I am going to give a couple yours a try, the first will be

the chorizo, I have never found a good recipe for it before. Fun

question for you, what is the biggest sausage failure you have ever had?

Mine was the first time my brother and I tried to make summer sausage.

We got a recipe from a guy who when he wrote it down wrote 1 c. as in

cup of corriander instead of one table spoon. It was so bad we tried

to use it for bear bait and they would not even eat it.

i made 30 pounds of swedish sausage one time [in the garage at the time because i wanted everything to stay at a cold temp]. had it all ready to stuff in the lugger and while only haveing to walk 10 feet to my stuffer i had set up on a table so i could tie each ring, i triped over a case of beer that just happen to be in the way.

everything went on that floor along with a few choice words. a lot of prep work went into that batch. that floor sure smelled good for awhile though. shoveled it all in the garbage, cleaned the grinder parts and re-salted my casings and a week later made another batch without incident. this happened a long time ago and it was a alcahol related incident grin. back then i couln't make sausage unless i had a beer next to me at all times. good luck.

VENISON BRATS WITH CHEDDAR CHEESE

2 1/2 lbs. venison

1/2 lb. pork fat

1/2 tsp ground allspice

1/2 tsp crushed caraway seeds

1/2 tsp. dried marjoram

1 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. salt.

hog casings or none needed if making patties

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

grind the meats together with a coarse plate. add all the rest of the spices and cheese and mix well with your hands. then grind again through a fine plate. let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend in [covered]. then stuff into links with hog casings or make patties.

in general as far as adding cheese in fresh sausage i use 1 cup of shredded cheese per 3 pounds of meat. dont be afraid to smoke or bake your sausage. if you have any questions on that go to the venison sausage questions thread. there will be someone to help you there with that and anything related to the making of sausage and equipment used. good luck.

for the recipie above in that amount i would use just pork fat. however if i was making a larger amount say 25 pounds i would use 12 pounds of venison-8 pounds of pork butt leaving all fat on and 5 pounds of pork fat. now that's just me for my personal preference.

after you make a few batches of sausage you will get the "urge" to experiment, and adding this and that for spices, more faty pork and even start to incorporate beef in your sausage which before was always only pork or only venison and pork.

i have and old folder with sausage notes made by my grandfather from germany. he had a meat market after the war. with the help of my parents i had to switch the wording from German into English. one thing i noticed after reading the mixes in English is he used beef trim along with pork in his sausage. i think there are some of the guys who contribute here on the cooking form, use beef trim as well i bet.

right now i'm working on a formula for a "holiday sausage" of my own. so i may mess up the first time, but i'm going with a small amount first and then go into a larger amount later after i get the results i want. so give a small amount a try like the reciepe above and then make a larger amount when your satisfied with the outcome. good luck.