• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VENISON SAUSAGE FOR THE ADVENTUROUS SOUL

i'll be posting different reciepies i have collected over the years for those who dare to be different. here is one of them: Remember it wont be long bow season will be here.

PORTUGUESE LINGUICA VENISON SAUSAGE WITH SPANISH SHERRY

1 1/2 lbs. ground venison

1/2 lb. fatty pork

1 tsp. coarse salt

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

4 oz. port or Harvey's Bristol Cream

2 1/4 tsp. paprika

hog casings

mix all ingredients and grind with a coarse disc. try a good port for a true taste of portugal cool. the taste of horvey's bristol cream is unique and aabsolutely unforgettable. stuff into hog casings. store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or package and freeze. good luck.

keep in mind all venison reciepies are able to be replaced with beef if venison is not available.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i'm fine here, besides i dont know if a couple of neighbors would like it. never to early to get ready for venison ideas. here's one for those who would like to try a smaller amount and increase the recipie if all is well on the taste buds.

CHORIZO--MEXICAN VENISON SAUSAGE

3/4 lb. venison

1/4 lb. pork butt

1 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. cumin

1 tbsp. minced fresh oregano

3 garlic cloves, pressed

2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

grind the meat once. add the rest of the ingrediants, mix well and grind again. make into patties or stuff in hog casings. great with eggs in the morning. if you cant wait. just get some ground beef and ground pork in those portions and go for it. good luck.

pork fat is nice to have. for those who may not know, you can call a butcher for example at cubs and order a specific amount for the portion you need. unless you use it within a day or two make sure you freeze it properly until you are ready to use it. good luck.

SWEET SPANISH VENISON SAUSAGE WITH WHITE RAISINS

1 1/2 lb venison

1/2 lb fatty pork

1 tsp coarse salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ginger

2 garlic cloves, crushed

6 tbls dark raisins

1 tsp. sugar

grind the meats once. mix all the ingrediants and meat well. grind again and stuff in hog casings or make some patties. refrigerate for use up to 3 days or freeze properly. good luck.

VENISON SAUSAGE BALLS

1 lb. hot or mild venison sausage

1 lb. sharp cheese, grated

3 cups busquick mix

2 tabls. water

fry and crumble sausage. mix all ingredients together in a bow. roll into balls with hands. bake at 350 deg for 30 minutes or until brown. good luck.

PHEASANT SAUSAGE

yea, i know it's supposed to be about venison but i should of called it wild game i guess. pheasant season is comming up also anyway.

2 cups onions, diced

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1 lb. fresh boned pheasant

3 lbs. boneless pork butt

2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. white pepper

1 1/2 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

5 eggs

hog casings

in a saucepan, cover the onions with water and boil 5 min. then drain. scald the milk with the bread crumbs, then cool. chop the pheasant and pork in a food processor using the steel blade. in a bowl, mix the pheasant, pork, onions, salt, pepper, alspice, nutmeg and the milk-soaked bread crumbs. add the eggs one at a time and continue to mix well after each egg.fill the sausage casings and twist into 6 in links. optional, use a fine blade of a meat grinder to grind the pheasant and pork. the sausage filling can also be made into patties without using the sausage casings.

to cook, bring 1 quart of water and 2 cups of milk to a boil. add about 12 links of sausage and simmer gently for 20 minutes. serve plain or brush with melted butter and broil for 2 minutes until brown [or brown them on the grill]. good luck.

VENISON CHEDDER JALAPENO SUMMER SAUSAGE

1 cup cold water

3 tbls tender quick

2 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp course gr. black pepper

2 tsp liquid smoke

3 lb. venison

1 cup chedder cheese

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced

stir in water curing mix, mustard seeds, garlic powder , black pepper, and liquid smoke in large bowl. mix in the ground venison, cheese, jalapeno peppers, mix until well blended and somewhat sticky. divide mixture in half and roll each half into 2 in. thick logs. wrap each log tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 24 hours.

preheat oven to 300 deg. line a baking sheet with foil, then remove the foil from logs, and put logs on baking sheet. bake in pre-heated oven until internal temp reaches 170 deg. f. 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. cool logs on a rack until they reach room temp. dabbing with a paper towel once in awhile to absorb excess grease. good luck.

there are a few sabrett type hot dogs around like Nathens for example. i think they are basicly a lean, beef hot dog and i have no idea what the reciepe is. i even googled it and just saw the sabrett onion sauce [which i think makes the hot dog taste so good]. i do have a venison reciepe of a lean frank you can make. now you can use all beef, for example 85% lean and do this recipie but otherwise do this:

17 lbs. venison

8 lbs. beef

1 qt. ice

1 cup salt

3/4 lb. nonfat dry milk

3 tbls. sugar

5 level tsp. prague powder #2 disolved in 1 cup of water [that's the pink colored quick cure]

8 tsp. ground coriander

5 tbls. white pepper

2 tabls. garlic powder

grind the meat once through a coarse plate. mix all remaining ingredients well. then grind again through a fine plate. stuff into casings and twist in about 6 in links. use sheep casings for dogs. hang them in the smoker until the internal temp is 180 degrees. you can also cook them by simmering them until the internal temp is 160 degrees. after the cooking or smoking methods chill them in ice water and then pagage them for freezing. good luck.

that temp is good. not a good idea to do at at higher temps. i have a temp probe that i can set and check while i'm doing something else. as long as the internal temp is at 160 your good. i do let it reach 170 just because i have felt more comfortable with it. make sure you give the dogs an ice bath after you reach the temp as stated. it prevents shrinkage as often happens. dry milk is the reason in the formula to prevent shrinkage and to absorb excess fat and moisture. i still use the ice bath even though i got the dry milk thing down. habit i guess and doesn't hurt a thing.

every recipie you can adjust. spices to your liking and the amount of dry milk also. keep records of what you use. after awhile you get it down, even if you dont measure every aspect of the event. you have to keep in mind you are doing two pounds vs more. i'm still learning and trying to get it right. i dont know if i will ever get satisfied to the point of perfection. probably not a bad thing, sausage is an art. one thing about smoked sausage. even though you have reached the proper temps. you need to let it cool down. freeze or refrigerate if you will use it soon. good luck.

I would not go higher than 175 degrees in the smoker.Any higher and you will render out the fat onto the bottom of the smoker and your dogs will be dry and crumbly.

Let us know how they turn out. smile

Ken, looks like you chimed in a little too late grin Yeah, ended up with something like a hotdog/meatstick cross. In my typical fashion, just started adding spices, did test it along the way so the flavor was good, but certainly dry. RH1, thanks for explaining the powdered milk, i ended up using sour cream because that is the only milk product i had in the house crazy So what is the scoop with the casings? The only thing i found in my haste was the collagen. Will find a source of natural, but just wondering the difference between the two. All in all, love doing new things and this was fun, but have a lot of room for improvement. I salvaged the meal by making a dog that consisted of a good brat bun, mustard, slow cooked kraut, tomatoes, havarti, and hot peppers.

full-27018-10961-2011_08_06_22_24_20_623

hey, still looks yummy. i dont use collagen casings at all. they have a memory and untwist if twisted into links. i think more people use them for pepperoni and beef sticks for no twisting is required. the natural casings i use are hog casings for the most part. hog casings can be purchased in the meat dept. of some stores [ cubs for example]. they usualy come in a vacume packed packet with salt. to use them you must rinse them good and let them sit in water so they become softer and easier for stuffing. i also rinse them internaly once by putting one end up on the faucet in the sink and running some water in one end. once you see the casing expand with water simply push that water through to the other end.

there are also sheep casings used mainly for breakfast sausage links and franks as you made. i dont use sheep casing because i like larger links. so it's hog casings for me. there are also beef casings or sometimes they are called beef rounds. they are used mostly for ring liver, larger swedish sausage, and ring bologna for example. so i would suggest to stay away from collogen casings unless you plan to make pepperoni or venison sticks.

there are also a fibrous casings in many sizes for things like summer sausage logs, thuringer logs, and salami logs. these are not edible. these are what i used yesterday in making my summer sausage. dry milk powder is used to soak up moisture in the making of smoked summer or even smoked hot dogs or polish. i actualy called one of my old fellow workers who still makes sausage for some of the cub food stores and he reminded of me of the use of dry milk. now i dont use it for fresh sausage but i remember in the old days we put that in there as a "filler". was cheaper then i would guess. the box i used for the summer was 1 lb 9oz and cost over $5 bucks and it was a cub brand. i used the full box for 25 pounds of summer.

the ice bath after the smoking process prevents the sausages from "wrinkling" after the smoking process. good luck.

RH1....couldn't have said it better.I don't use collagen either except when making sticks,where you want them to dry out.Sheep casings are a pain because of the small size.I use small 27-29mm hog casings to make sausage or hot dogs.The packets from the store are almost always a mixed size.All over 30mm.

I usually buy a hank at a time from a butcher supply house,since they keep forever packed in salt.That way they are all the same size.

I also add powdered milk to all my sausages.1 cup per 5lbs.

VENISON SALAMI:

1 cup salt

5 cups dry milk powder

2/3 cup sugar

16 lbs. venison

9 lbs. beef chuck [leave any fat on the meat]

1 quart cold water

1/4 cup black pepper

4 tbls. garlic powder

3 tbls. whole coriander seed

4 tsp ground mace

4 tsp ground cardamom

5 level tsp. prague powder [the pink stuff] disolved in one cup of water.

fibrus non edibal casings enough to stuff aprox. 3 lb

grind the meat with a course plate. put all ingredients in the meat and mix well. make sure you let your fibrus casings soak in water for a few minutes so they are flexibal and not dry. stuff the casings so all have as close to equal amount of meat in them. hang them in your smoker. put a meat thermometer in one. i have a digital one that i can run the wire out of the smoker so i can look at the temperature from the outside and beeps when it reaches 160 deg. when it reaches that temp. put the logs in ice water to quickly cool them down. this prevents wrinkling of the casings. good luck.

SOMETHING FOR BREAKFAST OR GRILL

2 lbs venison

2 lbs pork butt

3 cups unseasoned bread crumbs

2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp ground nutmeg

3 tsp. ground coriander

3 tsp salt

2 tsp garlic powder

1 1/4 cup water

grind the meat with a coarse plate. mix all ingrediants. grind in a fine plate. line a baking pan or two depending how many you make with aluminum foil. smooth the venison into the pan and place in the freezer until just beginning to set. lift the edges of the foil. remove the sausage from the pan, and cut into slices. freeze or use right away. to cook, fry the slices in a little oil until brown on both sides. serve with bacon and eggs or grilled with onions on split large dinner rolls. good luck.

MAPLE VENISON SAUSAGE

3 lb venison

2 lb fatty pork butt

2 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried marjoram

2 tbls kosher salt

2 tbls rubbed sage

1 tbls black pepper

1/2 cup real maple syrup

1/2 cup ice water

grind the meats through a course plate. combine the spices in a small container and mix with 1/2 cup ice water and the 1/2 cup maple syrup. pour everything in the meat mix. mix real well with your hands and grind mix through a fine plate. stuff in hog casing or sheep casings [for thinner links] or you can make patties. but this sausage tastes the best in casings. store in freezer.

VENISON SWEDEISH SAUSAGE

9 lbs. patatoes

2 tbsp. salt

3 lbs. venison

1 1/2 lbs. pork butt

1 large onion chopped

1 1/2 tbls. black pepper

1 1/2 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. allspice

hog casings

peel the potatoes, boil in salted water for about 10 minutes or until they are still very firm in the center, and chop. mix the potatoes and all the other ingredients together and grind through a fine plate. stuff into hog casings. i usualy at first pull out the casings from the stuffing tube about a couple inches of the casings then stuff about a foot of the casing and then leave another couple of inches on that end and then cut it off the stuffing tube and repeat the process. i then when i'm done stuffing everything, form a ring on every link and tie the ends together. good luck.

Learned a great tip from an old time meat guy for Potatoe sausage.

Buy the cheapest frozen hash browns (cubed or shredded) to grind in the meat... you will never have brown or mushy potatoes...

Done it several times and it works great.

Good Luck!

Ken