• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Live~Williston Walleyes

Williston, you’ve got more than oil!

Biggest Catfish ever and now biggest Walleye of the year. This one has us guessing. Heavy, straight down just like a Walleye but then off for a run to the side just like a Northern. Tenacious, won’t give up, fighting like an all star wrestler. What is it?

Lund’s Landing and Lewis and Clark State Park share the north shore of Lake Sakakawea just miles from Williston. Today we launched out of Lund’s Landing, a sweet spot on the prairie that proudly displays the care of Jim and Analene. Lund’s trademark of distinction, everything homemade with a touch of class. You’ll like it here.

We headed east with no place in particular in mind. Some days you just go fishing and there are few good reports right now. The water on the west end of Sakakawea is a different color than the rest of the lake. It has to do with badlands sediment flowing out of Montana. Not bad, just a different color. It is the first thing I always notice, as water color determines lure color.

The first flat I get to we slip inside the flooded tree line and set up shop in 10-12 feet. I have a couple of jointed 5’s in Firetiger out followed by a Rip Shad and RS-4. It only takes moments for the trees to find their first victim. My just purchased six dollar jointed 5. Geez, you could have waited a while.

If you like Northern fishing this area is going to be spectacular in a few years. We lost track somewhere around 8 and the last two were picture fish. A couple of years and they would be bragging rights. No shortage on Whitebass. They keep us entertained while waiting for our first Walleye.

Turning the corner I see something that reminds me of Parshall Bay in the Van Hook Arm. By late July and August most fishermen with common sense write off back bays. 78 degree water temps and smelt running for deep water are just two good reasons. So why am I smiling inside?

As I zoom out on the GPS I notice a creek channel meandering through the bay and the similarities of Parshall Bay are obvious. Shallow, flat, creek channel, it has it all. We unhook a couple more Northern and Whitebass before we find what we are looking for.

Ever wonder how those crankers pull 4 lines without hair pulling tangles? It is easier than you might think. For me the secret is in the lure choices. I don’t follow the traditional short rod-long rod approach or even running two rods straight out the back and two out the side. There is an easier approach.

I run my back rods level and always have the lure with the deepest dive curve set on these two. My front rods I run at 10 o’clock and they have the shallower dive curve lures. For example right now I’m using jointed 5’s and jointed Grappler Shads. The five’s are set at 30 feet back and the Grapplers are set at 60 feet back.

You can do this with any combination of lures that have different dive curves. 50/50 is ideal, but it is seldom it works out so well. As long as I have separation and can run at the right depth with both lures I’m happy. Just be careful reeling in and letting out and you will be fine.

By now we are way back in the bay, deeper than common sense allows. If you try this at least no one will see you as we didn’t see a boat all day. First fish is confirmation I’ve not lost my mind and a second confirms this is a Parshall Bay look-a-like.

Next fish is heavy, straight down, feels like a Walleye but runs like a Northern. I was more than surprised to see the oversized Carp. Interesting, we were just talking about how we always catch a 20 lb Carp or two on cranks in Parshall Bay. Williston you got something here.

I don’t know what it is with Williston. Early in the season I landed my biggest ever Catfish from the confluence area. To sweeten the memories, I just released my biggest Walleye of the season. Williston, you got more than oil!

full-34939-10758-rods1.jpg

full-34939-10759-nice.jpg