• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Live~Van Hook Arm

3 fish in as many minutes.

I normally go to the lake with a plan in mind. Usually it is a combination of several factors. Weather, and in particular wind, shapes the end result. We had wind yesterday out of the west at 25 plus so the east shoreline had my attention. I even had it narrowed down to a flat a few miles south of Brendles Bay Resort. Today’s wind was WNW so I’m even more convinced of my reasoning.

The season we are in is also a big part of the strategy. What was working this time last year? A quick look in the mind’s data base normally pulls up some success stories with all the details firmly in place. Location, depth, speed and even number of cranks lost. Really good days will have icons or waypoints on the Lowrance screen.

Fishing reports are a big factor. They come in all shapes and colors with a blend of fiction and nonfiction mixed in for flavoring. Sorting it out can be challenging. Today’s summary of internet info and cell phone conversation is all over the board. Fish in 12, fish in 30. Fish on crawlers in the trees. Fish on cranks, deep on sunken islands. Where do I start?

Last is something I have yet to master and find it difficult to explain. Follow your heart. Geez, I don’t speak the language of the heart let alone have the ears for listening. Is God speaking? Is this just me directing traffic? Sorting out fiction and nonfiction is challenging but sorting out those inner thoughts. Not likely.

Here is why I at least make the attempt. Occasionally it turns out with spectacular results. Me and the neighbor are pulling cranks a few weeks ago. We have 3 or so in the boat and it has slowed down. I keep gett’n these subtle thoughts, “Leadcore.” I’m only in 12 feet so no need for depth. I dismiss the subtle thoughts. Logic rules.

After another half hour of no fish I lift the rod locker and see the leadcore rods buried in the bottom. Too much work pulling out all that equipment just for a very small and quiet inner message. Another half hour of no fish and yep, you guessed it, out comes the lead.

Within the next half hour we are limited out. Seriously, that fast. It was minutes and we had a double. I have more stories like that in the data base so why isn’t listening to the heart first in the priority line?

Today’s first stop is memories. Back bay of Shell Creek in 12 feet to start and then shallow up in 7-9 on the east shore. I still have that “yesterday’s wind blowing from the west” stuck in the mind. No fish, not even a skip jack. Should have know, even the pelicans are missing.

South it is to the flat. This is going to be so easy. We get there and I’m even more convinced. Water is dirty with yesterday’s mud line extending out for half a mile or more! I was planning to start out in 25 feet but with dirty water I drop 4 lines down in 9. It takes a while for reality to resister. No Fish here Schoneck.

After that it is a run and gun. Trees in 7 with jigs. Cranks in 12, cranks in 9, fish must be deep. This is gett’n frustrating. I check in with the heart but no messages. We decide to make a change and move deeper. 17 feet on the top of Props, a sunken island. Nope. Next move is to Moore in 19 feet. Same results. I remember one of the reports talking deep in 28 feet. Out we go.

Fish are everywhere. Easy targets on the screen at least. Bait is scattered in small balls which is what I like to see. Usually means the predators have been working for a meal. Fish are from 25 to 35 feet so I let down in 28-30 with deep diving reef runners followed by bombers out 150 feet. Didn’t set the world on fire but at least there was payback for the effort.

We call it a day and head into Brendles for the night. I have clients in the morning who are eager to experience what everyone is telling them will be unbelievable fishing. Word is out that all you need is a boat. Fish are everywhere. Expectations---Ya, that’s another story.

Bodie, Lori and 13 year old Colby are fired up. Colby more so than mom. Today’s fishing trip is a birthday present Colby is eager to unwrap. I’m not so eager. Yesterday was all work for a few fish and I don’t have much of a plan. A quick check with the heart. No messages.

We kick off with a pull up a narrow lane through the trees on Rodeo. Next play is in 9 feet, move to 12 and then out to 16 all with the same results. Wind is out of the east and picking up fast for this early in the morning. I’m not all that eager to hit the open water and face the rollers of the big water.

Duty calls, people are paying you to do something Schoneck. Out we go to open water on Props in 28 feet. A few waves break over and test the bilge pumps before we even get started. Big lures down and up comes our first fish of the day. Two more pulls for nothing and I’m now on mental “reserve tank” with no good ideas.

We head into the wind; I see Gull Island and think, “Head straight to it, at least it will break the waves.” Finally a reprieve from the NE wind as we settle into 12 feet. I had no plan to fish here but the quiet water looks inviting.

Out comes the jointed 5’s in Firetiger for a pull in 12 feet. The first present to get unwrapped is impressive. Turns out this is one party you don’t want to miss. By the end of the day everyone has had all the fun ND fishing regs allow. Mom, Dad, and Colby all pose for the family photo.

The ending was the most dramatic. I’m ready to leave and Lori has 3 fish to go. Somewhere from inside, maybe the heart, a message comes through. Take it shallow Schoneck. 3 fish in as many minutes. Limited out right on schedule!

So looking back, the battering by the wind drove us to shelter, resulting in a birthday party surpassing even my expectations. Seems like tuff things in life often bring a surprising reward. Ya, you can call it fate. I think hearing the heart was in the playbook. Oh—I should mention a significant item yet to be discussed. My wife, Julie. She has been home praying all day for the team.

full-34939-10627-bait.jpg

full-34939-10628-smiles.jpg