• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Live~Devils Lake 2011 Fishing Challenge

Three out of the top four teams had a big fish.

God opened the day with a dramatic sunrise accented with a western sky moon over Devils Lake’s 6 mile bay. Launch time is on countdown for an 8 am take off. 28 teams have signed up to fish the 2nd annual ND Fishing Challenge and someone is going home today with $2,500 dollars in first place money.

The Fishing Challenge is a supporting arm of ND Teen Challenge, a Christ-centered recovery program located in Mandan. Funding helps keep hope alive for workers, volunteers and most importantly those searching for freedom from addiction.

The workforce behind today’s event is made up of those same people in different stages of recovery, handling everything from coffee to sack lunches, registration to payout. I have been privileged to get to know some and their quest for life is inspiring.

Behind all the fun of fishing is the purpose of ND Fishing Challenge. Sponsorship dollars raise awareness and money. They also communicate a “We believe in you” concern that encourages those struggling to make their first year clean and sober.

We start the day with light winds and the promise of thunderstorms, followed by extreme heat, all compliments of the National Weather Service. They delivered on all three. Lighting kept eyes to the morning sky but the storms missed us for the most part and by afternoon weigh-in, the sun got its chance at us.

Baskets of fish arrived at weigh-in with both delighted surprise and disappointed frustration, a part of every competition. A couple of heavy baskets are already in topping out at 16 and 17 lbs. Several big fish have been weighed in. In fact of the top four teams, three had a big fish over 6!

So the question on my mind is, “How did they do it?” Gett’n inside the head of a money-winning team is like breaking into the bank. First place team member Mike Zaun of SD was an easy target as I caught him off guard using a quick compliment and photo. “Pitching cranks and lindys,” he shot back. Two radically different approaches. That was too easy; he leaves me thinking he was trying to throw me off.

Big fish of the day went to the Anderson team weighing in at 6.4 pounds, securing a 4th place finish weight at 15.4. Team three, Ramberg-Trana weighed in 5 fish at 16 pounds. 2nd place went to team Haberstroh who complimented their 17. 6 pound weight with a 6 pound fish.

First place went, for the 2nd year in a row, to Pat Shields of Grand Forks and Mike Zaun of SD. The team added Pat’s son this year and looks like it paid off. Mike’s assist with a 6.2 didn’t hurt. One year and you may be lucky. Two years in a row you got something figured out. Way to go guys. They go home smiling with an extra $2,500. in first place money.

This labor day weekend, Saturday September 3rd we will hold our 2nd annual Fishing Quest. We all gather at the Lakewood Park Bible Camp for breakfast. Each volunteer loads his boat with a couple of Teen Challenge students and launches out on Devils Lake for a day of fishing. We could use some boats. Give me a call if you would like to get involved.

We end the daylong event with a fish fry and the satisfaction of knowing we gave more than our time on the water. We communicated an “I believe in you” concern that just might make the difference for those hoping to make their first year clean and sober.

.full-34939-10432-bigfish1.jpg

full-34939-10433-stats.jpg

First place went, for the 2nd year in a row, to Pat Shields of Grand Forks and Mike Zaun of SD. The team added Pat’s son this year and looks like it paid off. Mike’s assist with a 6.2 didn’t hurt. One year and you may be lucky. Two years in a row you got something figured out. Way to go guys. They go home smiling with an extra $2,500. in first place money.

More videos at HSOshow.com™