• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moving to Minot

So I took a job in Minot to help some of the flood wreck victims for the next 2-4 months and I was wondering if there was any good fishing near there. From what I've seen on the map it looks like Lake Sakakawea is the only one nearby. I was wondering what the fishing is like there and what I could expect to catch.

Read the reports from NDLive. Lake Darling, North of Minot, sounds pretty good right now. There is a hot Walleye bite on the Western end of Sakakawea right now. Not so much on the eastern end from the sound of it. There is a nice crop of 2-4 lb Northerns coming on in Sakakawea. I found a good number of Smallies on a recent trip. Sakakawea is going through a transistion from an extended period of low water to very high water. Every trip seems to be a new learning experience. Hard to say what might happen for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the info, I'm still deciding on whether or not I should bring my fishing poles, I don't have a boat so I'm pretty much limited to shore fishing, but I was thinking that once I get settled in I may hire a guide service. Can you recommend a good guide for Sakakawea, Darling or even Devil's Lake?

There are lots of shore fishing opportunities around Devils Lake. Anywhere a bridge crosses the lake or a lake inlet/outlet, you'll find water moving through, and those are good places to find 'eyes, pike and white bass. I've done a lot of boat fishing on D.L., but also have spent countless days with slip bobbers, jigs and cranks pulling in fish from shore at those bridges.

You don't need a guide to do that. Just get a map of D.L. and scope out the bridges. Easy peasy! smile

So I took a job in Minot to help some of the flood wreck victims for the next 2-4 months and I was wondering if there was any good fishing near there. From what I've seen on the map it looks like Lake Sakakawea is the only one nearby. I was wondering what the fishing is like there and what I could expect to catch.

Its big water but it has everything you'll need. Pike, walleye, salmon...all exceptional. Consider yourself very lucky if you get the opportunity hit Sakakawea a few times while you're in the area. It is a reservoir so it is a bit overwhelming at first with all the structure available to fish but it is a ton of fun. I miss it!

There are lots of shore fishing opportunities around Devils Lake. Anywhere a bridge crosses the lake or a lake inlet/outlet, you'll find water moving through, and those are good places to find 'eyes, pike and white bass. I've done a lot of boat fishing on D.L., but also have spent countless days with slip bobbers, jigs and cranks pulling in fish from shore at those bridges.

You don't need a guide to do that. Just get a map of D.L. and scope out the bridges. Easy peasy! smile

Thanks for the info, but Devils Lake is about 2 hours away from Minot, so I most likely won't head that way to do any shore fishing. I think I'll probably hit Sakakawea for salmon, since I've never fished for them before. I figure if they're in there I'll try something different than my occasional walleye and bass fishing.

The Salmon should start running in late Sept. and be accessible from shore near the dam. Talk to Scott at Scott's bait in Pick City, on the west end of the dam.

The Minot Daily News has a pretty good fishing report on Fridays (at least the online version). That may give you some ideas.