• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter River W'eye

mscheda

We are having a VERY warm (40 F) and sunny few days in my neck of the woods (western NY). We have a smallish river (Genesee River) which will surely have open water in the next several days. Any tips for finding and raising walleyes in an early winter warm spell just downstream of a dam?

Do you suppose the warm and sunny will drive them away from or toward the dam? Deeper or shallower? Turn the bite on or turn it off? Presuming I can locate them, what tactics/presentations should I consider?

Thx in advance,

Mark Scheda

Mild temps should make the walleyes more active. I would be more concerned about light conditions especially in clearer water. The first place I would look for walleyes would be current breaks in shallower water(5-15ft depending on the structure ,location and depth of the river). My favorite winter presentation is a jig either hair and/or tipped with a minnow or plastics (plastics being no.1 on the list).

------------------
Jimmy
Marcum