• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Please Please Gardy

zamboni

Billy Koch and his 97MPH straight 4 seamer and his career ended way early, seems bizarre some can't get a stellar 2nd pitch going as they are hitting 90+ as a high schooler in most cases. Maybe work on that fellas. Played with Kerry Taylor Roseau guy he was cranking out 94 as a 17 year old in the lions all-star game in Chaska, never a quality 2nd pitch, short career unfortunately.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once we have all the players off the DL we will have a glut of outfielders. Capps/Young package for some younger talent. Those in the pennant run will cough up some good prospects if it looks like we may be out of it. When are the trading deadlines?

we'll find out if they're buyers or sellers as they have a lot of games against the central before the deadline.

either way, they'll be making some trades. i gotta think delmon and slowey are at the top of the list.

closers and the 'save' statistic are overrated. it's that simple.

Agreed!

Get rid of the idea of a "closer" on our team altogether. The 9th inning is just an inning, let the pitchers know that and just have them pitch their stuff. We don't need superman feats, we just need to get a measly three outs.

I've been thinking more and more about how it might be nice to let Capps, Nathan, or Perkins pitch innings 1 and possibly 2, and put in a starter for the rest of the game.

I couldn't disagree more. The closer position is unbelievably important. If anything this year proves it beyound any reasonable doubt. And where are all Joe Nathan basher's now a days? We have like 9 blown saves to Detroit's ZERO which would put us close to 1st place if we had Nathan in an ordinary year for him.

Yeah Capps held a 4 run lead this time.... grin

I couldn't disagree more. The closer position is unbelievably important. If anything this year proves it beyound any reasonable doubt. And where are all Joe Nathan basher's now a days? We have like 9 blown saves to Detroit's ZERO which would put us close to 1st place if we had Nathan in an ordinary year for him.

Yeah Capps held a 4 run lead this time.... grin

capps is/was held to a higher standard because he was an all star 'closer' for the nationals. his stats are pretty mediocre. he's been hyped and overrated because he has 'closer' experience. he gets paid more for it too.

BTW, the tigers have 5 blown saves.

I agree Capps is/was overrated I thought you were trivializing the closer position like a lot of fans do.

i am trivializing it in a way. the bullpen as a whole is way more important than a great closer.

a closer on a bad team can rack up just as many saves as a closer on a good team.

Another reason the closer role/player is important, probably the most important in my opinion is it's unbelievably demoralizing to the team and fans when you have a lead late in the game and your guy BLOWS it.

Of course, stating the obvious, a deep bull-pen, starting pitching, hitting and defense factor in to a good team and are crucial factors in the success of a team... smile

I know you've been dramatized by Nathans post season performances...... me too.

I'll have to reflect further on the plight of Joe Nathan this weekend as I'm listening to the series finale on the waters of Kabetogama

I too like the idea of scrapping the idea of just one closer on the team. I think perkins has the pi$$ on you type of attitude that he could do well in 9th inning situations and not get rattled even if he blows one which everyone knows will happen on occasion. still not confident we'll ever see the old nathan again but don't have a problem with him taking the 9th at times but don't care for the idea that we automatically bring him out every time in the 9th if it's a 1 or 2 run lead.

I know you've been dramatized by Nathans post season performances...... me too.

I don't know if I've been dramatized, but I've sure been traumatized eek

And yes, Burnett needs to go...to AA ball...until he learns to locate ANY of his pitches. Yikes.

It's time to get some trade value for Capps before the deadline passes. He can't get the job done on a consistant basis and there are no more games to waste. Nathan is back and Perkins is good at cleaning up late inning messes.