• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Was invited by a friend to head to Algoma early Sunday morning for some Charter Fishing. This will be my 2nd time on the big ol'Michgan, my last time being over 8yrs ago out of Racine. Definitely looking forward to fighting with some Kings and whatever else may bite our lines. I'll report back with the results sometime Monday afternoon.

Good luck, the charters have been doing well and they are bringing in some really really nice fat kings this year. There have already been a few in the upper twenties caught this year. @ weeks and I am getting the itch to get out there!

Tunrevir~

I think Sutty will be out for the 23/24 weekend with a bunch of guys. We are going again on the 29-31 for a three day weekend.

I am working on my dad to make a run out this coming 4th of July weekend if possible. The other possible weekend for us is the 16/17. He hasn't committed to anything yet though. I just want to get out on the water. smile

August is booked solid for me, 2 weddings and a road trip out west with my wife.

Jar Jar, Cheetah, We are staying in the marina at Keewaunee that weekend. My buddy has a boat in dry dock that we are going to sleep on and then take my boat out in the mornings and evenings if the weather cooperates. He usually slips in either Keewaunee or Algoma but due to slow work he opted to drydock it this year. I have a tan and brown Crestliner and the truck is a chevy in silverbirch with Mn plates. If you see our rig parked next to a large boat on blocks near the marina building swing by and say hello. The big boat on blocks is "The Hobby Shop" and normally we aren't that far from the marina office.

Tunrevir~ aka Randy

Sounds good guys, if I make it out on the 16/17 weekend I will post here and look for both of you. We stay at Salmon Harbor as well. My dad runs a dark blue Tahoe and a maroon/tan Crestliner with a tiller motor.

GatorBait, how was your charter trip?

Sorry for the delay, work took over these past few days. Anyways, on to the Good news!!

We got onto the boat and onto the water by 3:30am. We worked straight out just south the shipwreck with an ave 130ft of water. We had 2 20lb Kings 2 10lb Kings and 1 ave steelhead by 4:30am. Things were going great. Then....a small alumacraft boat with a loaner was working his way into us, the Cpt adjusted his autopilot 20 degrees away from him, but yet he continued into us. As he was about 50yds off the side, words were said and he continued trolling past us and then right in front. He then does a 180 degree turn and cuts our birdies and leadcore off. Meanwhile, we are in the middle of a Double, those got caught up and were gone, and then I lost one on the Downrigger which came up with one of his blades. Not sure who was more furious, the Cpt or me. lol. Some people, all that lake and he can't readjust course as we did. So throughout the rerigging and such, things were a bit slow, but we ended the day with 14 fish, mix bag of mostly good size Kings, Steels and 3 Rainbows. Had some 6ft plus rollers, she was very sloppy out there, but no pukers so all was well. Had a great time, and will definiately be making another trip this August. Daddy's got a 20lb King in the smoker, what's not to love!!!!

It can be a zoo out there sometimes.

Your captain still put fish in the boat though and there aren't many places you can go to catch 20lb salmon. 14 fish in the box for a half day on the water is a hell of a lot more fish than a lot of guys will bring in.

Any specific colors he was using? I've heard white flashers and blue or green flies behind dipsys have been good. Spoons not so much.

Mesquite Frog was the the hot color. We never used any spoons. Yeah, listening to the radio chatter and phone convo's it was sounding like we had a great day compared to most. I was far from disappointed with the day, it's only the 2nd time I've fished out there, and both times have been trips to remember for a very long time.

It was mostly a green and white, so Green Ice would probably be the closest to that explanation. I'm sure it was a nickname. It's the same ordeal with my walleye trolling cranks, no idea of the official color but I have a nickname for everyone of them. smile

Sutty, I wouldn't worry about "mesquite frog". All the reports I am reading are saying a mixture of white+blue/green flashers and blue/green combo flies on the riggers and dipsys. Sounds like the spoon bite is picking up a little bit. Lots of steelhead being caught way out deep on boards in the top 40'. A bunch of guys are talking about some wire dipsy setups they are running this year.

My dad and I should be out in Kewaunee on the 16th/17th if the forecast isn't bad. I sorted through all his gear over the weekend and I think that got his mind on fishing instead of house projects.

I know, the bite will change 3 or 4 times before I get out there. But I still like to know so If I hear about it later on I know what color people are talking about.