• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Might be moving to DT Anchorage from Minneapolis for a job here in a couple weeks. Stay could be anywhere from a year or two to who knows.

I've read of a couple people here mentioning doing similar and I know there are some locals on here as well, so I guess I'm asking for any tips or suggestions you can give me on preparing for my outdoors sporting.

Is my 30/30 adequate for deer, caribou, elk? Do I need a sidearm/ bear spray if I plan on spending much time exploring the rivers and woods? What caliber? Do I even bring the 20 gauge? I hunt upland, turkey, and deer here- so Moose and bear might be a little beyond my skill set as I begin.

Fishing: Not a fly fisherman (I can, just prefer spinning/baitcasting gear). Any recommendations on what kind of pole/ reel would be best to start with? I'm assuming my walleye/panfish pole- spinning rigs and medium weight baitcaster are inadequate for the big runs around town. Besides the runs, what kind of fishing can I find around the Anchorage area? Lakes, rivers, streams, etc.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Hiking and exploring:

All you need are some good shoes. As far as safety goes, yes there are risks in bear country, but I never even carry any bear mace, much less a sidearm. Just be smart, alert, and respectful. I say this as someone who regularly encounters brown bears while out at salmon streams.

Hunting (take my advice as a non-hunter with hunter friends in AK):

Waterfowl hunting is pretty popular, great scenery and great adventures with a dog if you like that sort of thing.

I don't know anyone who lives in Anchorage and hunts deer, as the only species available is the Sitka deer, and the populations are not near Anchorage. A few acquaintances who live on the island of Kodiak sure enjoy hunting 'em though. I'd guess a 30-30 would be great, as I don't think they are a big deer, but you might feel more comfortable with a 30-06 or a 300 win mag when hunting in bear territory, and a little extra range/flatter trajectory might be nice.

For any of the other big game, it's probably smart to up the caliber a bit, but I have no doubt a 130gr 30-30 round would kill a caribou or elk with a lung shot.

Fishing:

This is what I do the most in AK. In particular, I chase silver salmon in streams just about every summer. You do not need anything expensive for stream silver salmon runs. I don't even travel with my better fishing equipment, I use $35 rod/reel spinning combos from the wal-mart up there, typically marketed as "silver salmon combos" or something like that, and come with some lures/odds and ends. All I need is a long stout rod, a reel that won't break on me, cheap heavy mono (I think maybe 20lb or so?), snap swivels, and some lures.

My favorite lures for silver salmon are Blue Fox vibrax inline spinners (#5 blades, not bucktail types), Blue Fox pixie spoons, and Dardevles. Pink, purple, blue, and silver are my favorite colors, and it does seem to matter at times. I stay away from orange, black, gold, yellow, and green.

You can also use salmon roe (eggs) under a bobber or on a sinker/drifting the current, but I usually stick to lures as I hate re-baiting.

You might have to travel a bit out of Anchorage to find good fishing. The local streams, particularly Bird Creek and Ship Creek, that have salmon runs have been pathetic this year. I'm a huge fan of Bird Creek but it seems that the silvers from this year are just missing.

As for non-salmon fishing, there are great inland pike waters (much of which can be a bit of a trip to get to), and ocean trips for halibut/cod/rock fish/lingcod out of Seward are some of the most entertaining fishing I have ever had. Salmon sharks are also something I need to try one of these summers in Prince William Sound.

Definitely check out the local sportsman's warehouse or just about any place that sells tackle to get information on where the salmon are running at the time. Many will have a chalk board right at the entrance, listing rivers and creeks and which species of salmon are running in them. You might need to drive up to two hours, but finding a good run is important to actually catching 'em.

If silvers are running and are fairly fresh in from the ocean, fishing with spoons and inline spinners is pretty much just as easy as cast, retrieve, repeat. When a small school works its way upstream going past you, you'll catch a fish.

Leave 30-30 home. Take .20 gauge. Anchorage just like MSP with better scenery. No deer within reasonable distance. Heavy pressure on moose and caribou in road accessible areas; you'll have to fly out for best hunting. Fishing within drivable areas pretty much "combat fishing."

Trout fishing and ptarmigan fishing, waterfowl along Cook Inlet or up near FBKS.

Most of the fishing tackle you use here in MN will be of no use to you there. Take a light or medium spinning outfit if you have one-skip the bass and muskie casting outfits.

Contact Alaska Department of Fish and Game for correct, useful information when you get there or before you leave if you have time. Sporting goods places can provide plenty of help when you get there.

You will always find something to do in the outdoors living in Anchorage....just get used to the fact that you will be living in the busiest area of Alaska and 99.3% of the OTHER people want to do the same things you do.

Have fun. Respect the State and the land. There is nowhere on earth like it.

Forty years a sourdoug.

Thanks for the help guys. Brought the .20, and a cheap medium spinning pole (probably more for northern and trout than anything) and waiting to get a good salmon setup.

Arrived in Anchorage last night by land. I wouldn't wish that drive on my worst enemies. 3300 miles of which maybe 300 were enjoyable. About 2500 of single lane highway. 1000 of those are poorly maintained or under construction, and constantly so from what I hear. The Yukon section is pretty much miserable north of Whitehorse other than the western view of the border ranges. Although I was hesitant to ever let my guard down due to poor road conditions and the fear of blowouts or windshield damage, parts of it were very enjoyable.

The drive down into Anchorage from Glenallen is something everyone should experience- about 120 miles of looking across a valley at the Chugach range and Denali from another elevation. Whitehorse, Yukon on the Yukon River was an interesting city- almost cosmopolitan in a preserved natural setting. And Muncho Lake, B.C. as well as the drive up, down, up, down to it, up again, and then down from it was incredible, and also the only place I viewed significant wildlife (black bears, goats, bison and dall sheep all over, a few moose, caribou, and mountain goats, and one brown sow with cubs).

Looking forward to some combat fishing this fall and not having to use my pepper spray.

Smails.

I don't think the return drive is happening anytime soon seeing as I'm working here for a few years at a minimum. I may feel like a tourist, but I guess I'm going to be here for a while. Sorry if I steal your spot at the river.