• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Missouri River Flood Volunteers - Help Needed Around Bismarck & Minot ND

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We're getting the word out asking for anyone who can help to please help.

Here are links for ongoing information:

http://www.bismarck.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=776

and current meeting spots:

http://www.bismarck.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=777

From HSO Staffer Rundrave:

I just got back from Bismarck. (that was a lot of driving!) We spent most of our time helping a friend and his family sandbag. Once we got him set up and most of his possessions moved out we just started helping who ever we could. Just hope we made an impact as its not looking good up that way. Absolutely sureal sitaution I cant even put it into words.

LMITOUT pretty much hit the nail on the head. The stories, rumors and info from the city, and core of engineers etc changes all the time and its hard to know what to even believe anymore. We went to feeling relieved, to absoulely terrified, to a glimmer a hope, stop and give up, to we might be ok over and over.

I dont know exactly where we were, but we were 1 block east of the golf course. The golf course isnt flooded yet but water is starting to show up and even seep up through the ground. I dont know what the dikes, and sand bags are going to do, especially when the water is going to come fromt the ground etc. There are some houses with 4-5ft walls of sandbags built and others right next door that have done nothing. Alot of hard working people working together, and of course the few who expect it to get done for them.

I honestly dont know if we were fighting a losing battle but the good lord only knows. I would have loved to stay longer but it just isnt in the cards. There is plenty of work for plenty of people to sand bag etc, or even just help people load stuff up. So if your up for it try to get there and help.

For any one south of the Dakotas near the Missouri or Mississippi river there is a massive $hit load of water about to head south. Ive been following whats happening out in Pierre and Fort Pierre especially and it looks like Ft Pierre drew the short straw and is essentially evacuating the entire town.

I am absoultely exhausted and wore out, I will post pics after I get rested up its been a rough couple of days.

Pray for all those families up that way, as this is gonna be a long battle. Once the water rises, its gonna be there for a very very long time. This isnt going to be a quick ordeal, its gonna be long and painful.

A group of us swung in over the weekend on our way back from an Alaskan bear hunt.

The town is going crazy right now.

We were able to help some relatives out and got some pretty good walls built. As rundrave mentioned, there is plenty to help with.

If you cannot help with the bags there are others things such as delivering food and supplies and directing traffic.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Matt Hruby

Minot orders mandatory evacuation of about 10,000 residents due to rising Souris River

MINOT, N.D. (AP) — Minot's mayor on Tuesday ordered a mandatory evacuation of about a quarter of the city's residents living near the rising Souris River.

Mayor Curt Zimbelman says the evacuation will affect about 10,000 residents on the north-central North Dakota town living along a 4-mile stretch of the river.

Zimbelman says residents are expected be out of their homes by Wednesday night, in part to give construction crews room to raise and reinforce earthen dikes in the area.

Heavy rains fell in the area over the holiday weekend, pushing an already-bloated river to even higher levels. Three bridges and many area streets are closed due to the high water, according to the News.