• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

swim jigs

KING

I saw swim jigs in the starting 5 post.

I have none of these, can someone post a pic and/or give some recommendations on some good ones and maybe the basic techniques of using them.

THX

i seemed to get burned by admins every time i post a link so below are some pictures of my favorites - some solid ones that i have used are V&m (just like the way it comes through the grass and it is hand crafted by cliff pace so that helps too) and brovarney. I will say that i have had bad luck with monsoor/bps swim jigs - hooks are very lite wire and straighten out easily on hooksets or good fish - so even though bps sells them for like 50 cents i wouldn't get them unles i wanted to feed them to toothies. Those are the only 2 i use and have been very happy good luck with them - they don't catch fish wink

full-8797-9020-v&m.jpg

full-8797-9021-sexy20shad.jpg

You can check out NorthStar Custom Baits swim jigs also, 2 different models the original uses a regular wire hook and small weed guard, the heavy cover uses a 3x hook and heavy weedguard both are wire tied and have 3d eyes that are glued on then epoxied over to keep them from falling off, all built by hand one at a time!

This is one of my go-to's its New Gill

NewGill.jpg

http://www.northstarbaits.com/swimjigs.html

If you look at this thread you will see a 15% off code that is running through Tuesday the 31st

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...ria#Post2593748

As far as fishing techniques go I like them a lot around cover, bump them off cover whether it be weeds, rock, or wood, they usually draw strikes as the bump off, other wise running them around weeds and using a fast erratic retrieve is another good technique

I agree but I have yet to catch any on them What is the secret to a swim jig that I am missing?

Pretend it's a spinnerbait. Find a lake that has a good amount of ambush cover to throw at and give it a day throwing at the cover. It took me a while to get confidence in them but now it's my favorite presentation.

I think that it feels a little wierd at first to throw a swim jig, espically if you are a die hard spinnerbait guy. You don't feel that vibration when the bait is comming threw the water and at first you don't what to expect on teh strike IMO. Once you catch a few fish on them you will gain some confidence and get a feel for the bait. I almost always have one tied on now.

I find swim jigs much more weedless than spinner baits though. They're surprisingly weedless. And more versatile too. You can pitch them into holes, just like any jig, but then swim them like a spinner bait over flats and on the edges of cover. Make sure you have a good trailer on too. A simple curly tail grub is a great one to start with.

I also suggest you jump on that Northstar Baits discount today. Only swim jigs I use now. You will not be disappointed.