• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alaska in mid-June

I'm going to Alaska (anchorage/soldotna) in a few weeks, and I have to do some king salmon fishing while I'm there, and possibly some halibut fishing and white-water rafting, and some hiking while I'm there too. I'll be up for 5 days starting June 16th...

I'd really appreciate any info on fishing guides for the area and ideas on other activities too. I've google-searched for salmon guides for the anchorage area and mostly end up with kenai/kasilof guides, but I'm wondering if that is the best choice? How about the Wasilla/Talkeetna area? Again any advice would be appreciated, this is once-in-a-lifetime for me and I want to do it right...

THANKS!

Mike, Been there, done that. If you wish, I will get you in touch with my friend Tony near Soldotna. His family are native Alaskans and is the best in listening to his customer needs and fulfilling them. Trust me on this one! Jim Cell 763.486.0672

Jim, thanks for the reply. I was on the phone with my cousin in Soldotna when you called back and I couldn't hang up...anyways my cousin might be able take us out fishing but he's pretty busy this time of year, so I'd like to get Tony's contact info for a back-up plan...I'll be available day tomorrow to talk. thanks.

One thing I'm wondering about: if I have only 1 day to fish, should I go halibut or salmon fishing? I want to do both but it might not be possible...any opinions? thanks

if you go king fishing in the fresh you can only keep one a day or maybe not catch one even. if you go halibut fishing you will most likely catch halibut, and different species of rock fish and ling cod but you can keep the lings that time of the year. you might be able to find a charter that will do a multi species charter where you go fish for halibut half of the day and troll for salmon the other half that way you will get a chance at both types of fish you are looking for. personally if i were you i would go halibut fishing.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/show...r-Captain-in-AK

check out this site it will give you all the information you would ever need in fishing and hunting up here. its locals plus a few guides on this site so you will have more info then you can handle and will find the right person to go with.

My opinion is if you're going to AK and only have 1 day to fish you REALLY need a new trip planner!!

hahaha yes you are right! To be more clear, we'll most likely have 1 day to take a guided trip. We might spend another day or two fishing on our own, but that would probably be for pike or rainbows...and we all have agreed we want to get in plenty of hiking and wildlife viewing, and a whitewater rafting trip.

Fishkid, thanks for the idea of a multi-species trip. I'm definitely going to look into that idea this evening - calling some outfitters and seeing what they can swing for us. That would be ideal - and I've heard rock fish are mighty tasty.