• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish on Purpose

Catfish on purpose

Two arm hold on the rod, drag cranked down, don’t these things ever give up?

Two places in ND I have never explored is the Red River in extreme east and the Yellowstone in extreme west. I had no idea what I’ve been missing. Williston may have oil but that’s not its only treasure.

This all started with a job working for North Star Caviar. It can get crowded and particularly this year with the high water. I was to give paddlefish fishermen a ride across river so they would have a place to stand on shore and cast.

During the slow days Harold and his grandson Fred would sit on the ramp and wait out catfish. Two days in a row they sat there and not a fish. Lawn chair, rod and reel and a Louis LaMour in hand, Harold could contentedly pass the day. Geez, if I had that kind of disposition.

Eventually we started talking and before long I was gett’n the inside details on how to catch catfish. Harold and I approach fishing from different banks of the river. While talking he told me, “I’ve never caught a walleye except by accident.” My reply, “I’ve never caught a catfish except when fishing for walleye.” One of us was about to change.

Paddlefish season just closed and I had two days to regroup before Thursday’s ND Live called me back to the water. I decided why not, I’m having the time of my life at the confluence of the mighty Missouri and Yellowstone. One more day will just make it all the sweeter.

I had high hopes of meeting Harold at his camp next to the confluence ramp for some advice before I did the about face from my traditional walleye fishing. I’m guessing the meeting was mutually pleasing. By now Harold figures he found himself a disciple he could convert to a catfisherman.

I always preach information is the key to fishing. Harold, with 78 years of life lived, much of that on the water fishing cats, was an encyclopedia. He gave me the when, where, and how-to’s, along with advice on cleaning and cooking. With a smile of anticipation we are off on a new adventure. Catfish on purpose!

Before we left Minot I decided to get some Gulp catfish bait. The choice was between little chicken nuggets that look a lot like Mc Nuggets, go figure, or smelly liver. Liver made it to the checkout. Nightcrawlers were a no-brainer. Also I’ve been wanting to give circle hooks a try. I heard they are the ticket for catfish.

Let the games begin. Circle hook and nightcrawler vs. livebait hook and Gulp liver. 9 fish into the games and the liver got tossed to the back of the boat. Worms have got to be the universal best-ever fishing bait on the planet. My son Levi ate one and said they taste like rubber and dirt. I don’t see what fish could like about that.

Entering the Twilight Zone. This gets a little weird so hang on. I switch to crawlers on both lines but the circle hook line is the only one gett’n bit. Finally, I tie on a circle hook to the dead line and guess what happens, ya I know, big. I’ll leave this to you. Are they feeling the point on the standard hook? Got me, I just know it’s working.

Hardest part of the circle hook was remembering to just lift and pull. I kept trying to set the hook which promptly pulled it out of the fish’s mouth. Patience and a slow steady sweep of the rod was the formula to gett’n the hook set just where you want it.

By now the cooler is filling up with catfish and I have completely forgotten that I’m a walleye fisherman. How could I be missing this for so long? I am struck by two facts: This is way more fun than I expected. Big catfish are tenacious, hard pulling, fight to the death bulldogs. You ain’t gonna pull one of these brutes in with one hand on the pole.

Williston, ND has so much to offer and the river section at the confluence is just a part of all there is to explore. I have yet to get to Trenton Lake and experience its great crappie fishing. Then there is Sakakawea, full of walleyes, calling me to Lewis and Clark State Park.

Like other things in my life, I get set on one way of thinking and don’t allow room for the new or different. I doubt I’m a disciple of catfishing, but I have been enlightened. Thanks Harold.

Harold 78 years of catfish wisdom

full-34939-8875-harold.jpg

full-34939-8876-brute.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun! It's great to get out with people who have been doing it for a long time and learn from them, isn't it?!?

If you ever get over this way and would like to check out the catfishing on the Red River, let me know- I'd love to take you out for some cattin'.

Looks like you are using braid. I have seen a few times where people using a non-stretch braid gave circle hooks a bad name, or swear that circle hooks are the devil, but its them pulling to hard and not letting the hook do its job. I’m glad to see you got the hang of it. I found the best way for me is using big cat mono, and letting the stretch of the mono and the floppiness of a fiber glass rod basically set the hook for me. Anyone who doesn’t like cat fishing probably hasn’t tried it.