• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

circle hooks

I was wondering if anyone has had sucess with circle hooks. Any opinions or facts would be great. Thanks for any reply.

warroadfisherman

[This message has been edited by warroadfisherman (edited 05-05-2002).]

I have only used them on halibut in Alaska. They worked great. No gullet hooks so you could release the ones you wanted to. I still had that urge to "set the hook", which you don't need. I am planning on using them on some live bait this weekend.

------------------

I've used them on my live bait/ Lindy rigs. They work great when you remember not to set the hook and just reel. Kinda tough to do after all of these years of feeding them line and trying to feel what is going on. They work really well with the young or handicapped kids. You don't have to explain hook setting, just have them reel. smile.gif -nunzio

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to use
them a bit for walleye this summer but I dont know if I will be able to not set the hook! Another thing I was wondering if the no more gullet hooks work on walleye too. Good luck this weekend!!

fishingfrenzy

I've got some in my tackle box, but always forget to put 'em on. They work on other fish.... so I don't see why they wouldn't work on walleye. Someone mentioned using them on spinner rigs? How do you go about hooking them... just slowly lift? Or do they just hook themselves? Any further info would be great.

Good Luck,
Rusty

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 05-09-2002).]

I will be introducing my mother-in-law to fishing for the first time this summer. When we get her out I can see it happening she can not set the hook.

I have never used circle hooks before can you give me an idea of what sizes to use for pearch and walleye (minnows, crawlers and leeches will be the baits)? And how effective are they with slip bobber rigs?

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

What I have learned so far about circle hooks in magazine articals and theings like that, when you feel you have a fish you let line out, when you think the fish (walleye in this case) has the bait, you slowly start reeling in. Because of the design, they hook themselves, also 95% of the time they get hooked at the side of the mouth. This is as much as I know, I have never used them but I've read about them. Hopefully someone expierenced with circle hooks can clear all this up.

Circle hooks are extremely effective on eyes...drasticly reduces deep hookups when they're hammering a bait...have fished many "slot" tourneys that require releasing the out of slot fish..also saves time retying lines that were cut to save the fish,,,will work equally well with harnesses or slip bobbers,,,you just don't have to cross their eyes with a hook set,,,when you "feel" the weight, apply tension and reel them in,,, Have Fun!! Good Luck on Opener!! If you're on the West end and spot a 1900 Silver?gold Lund piloted by the biggest guy on the lake stop by and say howdy!! Big Jim!!