• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the best raingear?

openorice

I bought a rain suit at gander mountain for $10 (and yes, they still sell them), they are ultra lightweight and condensed into a sack about the size of a football. I'm on year 3 (including usage on construction jobs) and have had absolutely no problems wink My wife has the same suit also, and no problems there either. If you want my opinion, don't bother with the expensive stuff!

I bought an Eddie Bauer suite at Target several years ago for around $30 and it has been great. I've had it at least 5-10 years and its in perfect shape and I do alot of hiking through the woods to get to some fishing spots. I've used it in all temps and in all kinds of rain/wind/snow and have always stayed perfectly dry.

Its not insulated but I just wear it over another jacket or sweatshirt if its cold enough. In a warm ran is seems to breathe just fine becuase I've never sweat in it.

For the price its not a bad suite at all. In my experience paying more for a rain suit doesn't always mean you get a better suit.

I'm looking for a breathable rainsuit that is really waterproof and won't leak after a couple years of use. I'm tired of paying big bucks for stuff that isn't waterproof.

The most economic breathable full body suit for summer use is the Frog Tog Pro suit, good suit.

I would personally recommend the Frabill FXE StormSuit for a premium grade long term suit investment option. It is a truly great suit.

grundens...nuff said! thats what they use up in alaska or exactly what they use in the deadliest catch. little spendy but you wont need another pair for a long long time

+1 : Waterproof(true) and breathable after a few seasons is tough to obtain. I brought my Grunden's and Xtra Tufs w/ me from AK and I stay nice and dry in the nastiest MN weather.

Frabill FXE Storm Suit or Cabelas Guidewear are what I would go with!

FYI - Today is the last day of the Cabelas Anniversary sale where you can purchase Guiedewear jackets for $100 off retail and the same for the bibs. I've wanted this stuff for years, but never wanted to pay full price so I was finally able to pull the trigger on it.

Insulated stuff is onsale too, if you want something thicker for the ice. In store and online.

Not that you need Raingear in MN, since it doesn't rain here :P. However, it will be getting cold.

Is the helly hanson stuff breathable and flexible? The reason I ask is the stuff I saw looked like classic heavy coated fabric that would probably be great if you are in a blow pulling crab pots or something but maybe not the most comfortable paddling a canoe or backtrolling a weedline.

Quote:
Fully taped Gore-Tex or bust.

If it isn't fully "taped" they can't use the name Gore-Tex. It is a trade marked name. They are kind of sticklers on that point. Other wise it is breathable rain gear.

You didn't say where you would be using it. In a boat? Walking fields? or standing in a blind?

For a boat I go with a poncho. Easy on, easy off, it covers the seat and keeps it dry. When sitting it is more then long enough. In the field I have a Gander H2O rain suit (same as Gore-Tex but wasn't evaluated to earn the Gore-Tex name (money saver)) which doubles as an outer shell in non-subzero temps.