• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grubs???

nunzio

Does anyone know for sure about these white grubs that are in the perch? I've also found them in some walleye over the years.
I've heard many guestimates of their origin..the droppings from gulls, geese, herons, pelicans. I have also heard that they have a cycle, I mean times of the year when they are not found in the fish..From what I've noticed is that once they are in a lake they are there to stay. I've heard that they are edible and wouldn't harm you if you eat them... my stomach isn't convinced. Any facts on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you. -nunzio

Not 100 % sure on that, but I have heard some talk about white spots in meat on perch. Someone told me that thats worms, not many northern lakes got wormy perch. Maybe around the cities. I have never eat'n perch with them. Only found them in the meat one time. Didn't eat. Usually enough clean perch around that I won't bother with those ones. If you eat and yak, let me know. Some dandy perch out of ottertail area and they were all clean. Tasty too. If your not sure, don't eat it. Too many crappies around to be eatin unsure meat from perch. Maybe someone out there can verify for SURE if it is ok. Thanx all.

------------------
[email protected]

The white "grubs" are worms. They get into perch more often then walleye and they get the worms around mid summer. It happens in different lakes around Minnesota, even some northern lakes. I never eat the perch that have worms in them.

warroadfisherman

[This message has been edited by warroadfisherman (edited 05-04-2002).]

Aaron thanks for answering. Do you know where these worms come from? Do they have a cycle? I've seen some perch that are just loaded with them. They are curled up into a little ball. When you dig them out of the fillet they uncurl and wiggle around like a tiny white leech. I don't care to eat these either. Most of the time you can see them externally around the gill covers and the "chin" area, as well as the base of the tale. I guess the thing that I'd like to know most is if a lake's perch has them, will they always have them? Thanks again -nunzio

I live on Lake of the Woods and the cycle happens every summer but Im almost 100% sure they lose them when winter comes along. Usually like you said you can see the worms on the gills so you should just throw those ones back. warroadfisherman

I read that those white grubs/worms/bugs whatever are a parasite carried by Kingfishers or Blue Herons can't remember which. The article said both bird species carry fish parasites ( Grubs/Black spot things ).

SUPOSEDLY they it's ok if you eat fish that have them but make sure your fish is cooked thoroughly.
Personaly I don't care what anybody says.
I aint eatin no bugs ! LOL

I've caught Gills in Iowa and Perch and Whitefish in Canada icefishing that had those white grubs in em.
Also caught Northerns and Gills in Wisconsin that had the black spots through the ice too.

Thank you all for the responses.
Geeman, I'm of the same mind, I don't care to eat no stinking bugs!
I have noticed that I don't see the "black spots" during the winter. I'd still like to find out if the white grubs are there to stay. I live near a small lake that has some nice perch but they were loaded with grubs 2 winters ago. I enjoy catch and release but also enjoy those tasty perch fillets (minus the grubs). -nunzio

I've asked around a bit and they do lose the worms every late fall and winter, year in year out.

warroadfisherman

Thanks everyone for the replys. That is what I was hoping to hear. Now I'll just have to try that lake again during the hard water season. Thanks again and good luck on Sat. -nunzio