• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Length and Girth

Does anybody know where a person can get a chart on figuring out fish size buy taking their length and girth measurements? I was always told to take the LENGTH x GIRTH x GIRTH and divide that by 800. It has been very close when compared to certified and digital scales. This works on walleyes and pike.

Northland prints one I keep handy in my wallet. Also, some of the printed tape measures that adhere to hard surfaces will have conversions (length = weight) for different species.

As previously stated Northland makes a good one for the wallet. Cabelas used to make a stick-on ruler with walleye, northern and bass per inch conversions.

Personanly, I don't get caught up in the weight thing. Inches work fine.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Check out the link below...it is a generic table for walleye length and weight. But also has a calculator if you know the length and girth. The LENGTH * GIRTH * GIRTH / 800 works well for walleyes...but many sources say to divide by 900 for pike.

http://sportfisherman.net/sportfish/fish/walleye/weight%20table.htm

Thanks guys, I have a chart that reads in inches that I carry in my box too. I was looking for something for girth. Some of the pike we caught this last month varied a great deal in weight when the length was the same.

Fisky, what stories are you looking for?

I have used the LxGxG divided by 800 for several years. It's never varied more than half a pound from digital scale readings on walleyes, northerns and catfish. It's far better than a length conversion alone because, as you say, fish of the same length vary a lot in girth. I just keep a little calculator in my tackle with the formula taped on the back. Of course, I've used it so many times now that it's committed to memory. Never tried it on short tall fish like pannies, but they say it works on all species. I like tech stuff as much as the next fisherman, but just haven't been able to see my way clear to laying out big money for an accurate scale that'll weigh up to 50 pounds.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 05-09-2002).]

What you'd you think that a 28" walleye would weigh? I caught one on lake minnewaska last fall that weighd 3lb's 1oz. What would cause a 8plus pound walleye to weigh 5lbs less than it should?

Good morning Lip Ripper, fish weight using girth measurements? Strange as it sounds - although not that strange when I think about it, girth, is not a valid measurement for all species of fish - mostly for those that are called 'round bodied fish'. We use 'girth' measurement a lot in CPR off-shore fishing - But, the WI DNR has published a chart for species that we catch most ... hope it helps, carry your calculator smile.gif - BB-LDF

Can you tell me how much my fish weighs?
Answer: Fish are somtimes damaged when weighed. Using the appropriate formula for your species below, you can quickly calculate the "approximate" weight of your fish by using a ruler. You may also wish to download our "trophy converter" in which we've done the math for you. To download this file, you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available for free on Adobe's HSOforum.

Please note when using the formulas:

Length & girth are measured in inches,
Girth is the distance around the body of the fish at its largest point, and all answers are in pounds. To measure your fish:

A = length and B = girth

Forumulas:

Bass weight = (length x length x girth) / 1,200

Pike weight = (length x length x length) / 3,500

Sunfish weight = (length x length x length) / 1,200

Trout weight = (length x girth x girth) / 800

Walleye weight = (length x length x length) / 2,7000

For example, you catch a 16 inch walleye. Using the formula for walleye above: (16 x 16 x 16) / 2,7000 = 1.5 pounds. Your walleye weighs approximately 1.5 pounds.

For more information, please contact: Monique Currie, Fisheries Web Coordinator.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us

Hello Radke22,

I am not a fishery biologist, but from what I have read and heard, your fish may fall into one of three catagories.

Either the fish is very old, and just like humans when they age, their muscle tissue starts to detiorate.

Or... The lake you are fishing is lacking in substantial forage to support bigger fish (but you would probably see this with other fish that are caught in the same lake)

Or...The fish might just be sickly, and on its way out.