• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye

Rick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the experts (if you don't mind) I've fished some deep clear lakes up in northern MN with very limited success. I'm looking at Wabana Lake near Grand Rapids. I would like some advice on tactics, is it necessary to go deep on lakes like these at this time of year? I would prefer to jig or Lindy Rig so I'm not excited about going 50 ft down etc. I would appreciate any advice or even a lake recommendation if you are so inclined. P.S. I have a place on a lake near Aitkin which produces pretty well but I need a break from the weeds! Thank You
Mark

Hi Mark, In clear water lakes your best bet
is to fish low light periods, early morning
and night. Use light line ( 4 lb test) and
natural colors on your baits. If you don't want to go that light on line, try a thin
diameter line, like a super braid.

Guideman.

------------------

www.aceguideservice.com

Does anyone have any idea where to find info,tips/tactics,baits for ten milelake near hackensack for walleyes..I will be up there labor day week..what pattern should i expect..any help would be appreciated

Big fall walleyes, the best way to describe
it is with two words,CRANK BAITS!!
Fall is a great time to fish a crank, after turn over the walleye can be anywhere in the water colum. And one of the best ways to find these fish is with a crankbait. I like to troll with boards, but long lining the baits can also be very effective.
My favorite time is in the evening, you can
cover a lot of water in a short time.
Some of my favorite baits are, shadraps, risto's, thundersticks and bomber long "A"s.
Remember to watch the moon phases, they can be a great indicator of when the big fish will be on the move!

Guideman.

------------------

www.aceguideservice.com

Gary k,

If the cooler weather continues here, walleyes on Ten Mile should begin turning on a bit. Don't think you'll be fishing a turnover situation yet next week, but water temps have started dropping.

In late summer on Ten Mile I've always liked the complex of points and sunken islands jutting off the northwestern shore of the lake. Big dropoffs associated with large flat areas harboring weeds and good sized rock make this area very attractive to baitfish and walleyes.

Ciscoes will start pushing into these vertical structures, too, as waters temps start dipping. And there will nearly always be some large walleyes associated with these schools of ciscoes-- whether suspended in open water or in contact with structural elements. I would suggest possibly trolling a 3-way rig with a #11 Rapala while watching your sonar to find baitfish. Walleyes will be making a fair number of movements from now until after turnover. Best to cover water and expect better fishing in the early am or at night. Enjoy your trip.

-a friend called Toad

Fall Walleye tip!

A good suspending lure on the cheap is the Bombers in the 16-A and 15-A, with a slight modification. Cotton Cordell's Rippling Redfin's are a top pick for this also!

By "pinning" the lure just were you may find the anal opening on a fish, about 1" from the tail, you alow just enough water to enter that it runs and stops much the same as a Husky jerk. Keep the pin hole just that, a pin hole, no larger.

The internal pressure just allows enough water to fill the tail section of the lure producing a neutral buoyancy effect. You can reseal the hole to lock in the desired amount of water by reheating the pin and smearing the plastic over the wound, do this twice from different angles to insure a seal.

I used to always reseal but find it unnesacery now as I feel the water temperature and barometric pressure of the particular day sets the amount for you. Much like a Depth-O-therm if you ever used on of them thingy's in the past.

Pinning hollow chamber baits is a old trick, but were do you think the Husky's came from, yep! Drilling and Doctoring was its roots!

Still works, and I still swear by them in cold water conditions of fall and spring.

OK- This is one of my top tricks guys!!

Don't ever say I don't play fair now!

smile.gif

Backwater Eddy...............><,,>

You're right Eddy. Those neutral bouyancy lures can be deadly in the fall(or year round)especially with the sweep pause while trolling and when making turns. I love the thundesticks and bombers but had never heard of the pinning technique. I'll have to give it a try.

Good Luck!

SO Eddy, are you straight lining your suspended bait(trolling?), using a three way or are you casting them in shallower water? I guess I need more info on how and when you are using this bait? Sounds like a good tip, I'll definitely give it a go! White-tip up baby!!!!

Well the pinning deal is very likely my contribution going back some 15-20 years now. That's probably why?

I changed my style of pinning just a few years back to not closing the hole, pinned a lot of Bombers and T-sticks over the years!

I have a few other alterations to up the strike's on cold water cranks as well! Some are old tricks, some are new tactics. Most of the old shore caster tricks were "incorporated" into well known popular lures, such as Husky Jerks for instance!

I bet I read my first piece on lure Doctoring 20+ years ago in In-Fish? I paid close attention to the boys, then spent a lot of hours in my kitchen sink with a thermometer testing lures in cold water, 40-60 deg., to make sure they worked consistently.

Sounds a bit whacked --AH?

Well maybe so?

Walleye seem to get to ya after while.

Eddy,

Boy do you bring back memories. I remember reading those old infisherman article on doctoring lures. I still can't believe how many I ruined before I got it figured out. Those doctored raps of mine caught a lot of fish(most casting from shore). Not only were they neutral bouyancy but they finally had a little weight to them so they casted better. You'll find me on the water as soon as I get my honey do list finished(before Sept. full moon)until ice up. I can't understand people putting their boats away so early. But I guess we all make mistakes.
Good Luck!

This is it the harvest moon, the best time of the year to catch that walleye of a lifetime.
The best way to get that big sow is trolling cranks at night, often in shallow water.
My favorite baits are shadraps, risto's and
thundersticks. You can use many others and
have success, but these are the ones I like.
The key is to use the right bait at the right depths. Boards are an option when you
are fishing shallow water and you don't want to spook the fish.
What ever you use try to get out this weekend and try some trolling, I don't think you'll regret it.

Guideman.

------------------

www.aceguideservice.com

Do you start searching for walleyes in shallow dishpan lakes the way you would in a classic structure lake with good weeds, rock bars and sand points? Do you think if most of the water you are pursuing walleyes in is less than ten feet of water can you still get by with the outbard, or is stealth with the electric motor a better choice?

Hi Run n gun, The best way is to start in the shallow water and work your way out.
I like to use boards in water less than 15ft
because it gets your bait away from the boat.
If boards are not an option, run your baits as far back as you can get away with. If you
have an electric that can troll at 1.5 to
2.0 mph that would also work well.
In deep water spooking the fish is not a problem, just long line the baits.
The main thing is to get your baits down where the fish are, most cranks are at their best with 10lb mono. The new super lines are
great for trolling, the thinner diameter
will run deeper than mono of the same #test.
The only problem with them is that with no strech, they can pull the bait out of the fishes mouth. So when using a low strech line you must use a rod with a soft tip,and
keep your drag lose.

Guideman.

------------------

www.aceguideservice.com

This may sound a bit odd, but me and my dad were up at Mille Lacs Lake, fishing for muskie/pike. We where staying in Hennipen State Park, (beautiful park) and we usually fish in Isle Bay. So were in Isle bay, I take out my big muskie line, and put on a firetiger crankbait, about 10 in. long, and start casting it out. Well, I think it was my 7 cast and I get a hit. I crank her in and its a walleye.....7.70Ibs (27.5")!!!!!!!
Anyone ever had this happen before?

This time of year ya, all the time! I use 6+ crank's all the time for walleye.

Big walleye eat big in the fall!

Some guy's refuse to believe it but you just got a lesson on piggy chow fall style!

May want to try some SJ-13 Jointed Rapala's at night some time now that you know they eat big?

Them piggy bellie's come from somewere don't they?

BE.............><,,>

My big walleye bait on mille lacs is the #18 rapala's or the J-13 raps. When you see what they spit up in your livewell(7-12" tullibees) it doesn't surprise me that you catch some on muskie baits. But turn around is fair play. My buddy caught a 44" muskie on a #5 shad rap fishing for walleyes last week(yahoo!). Few photos and back she went. Good Luck guys!

Looking for some simple guidance. I really don't have much experience in jigging for Walleyes during ice fishing. Can someone provide the basics, as far as what I need for jigging spoons and bait? I have several Swedish Pimples and other small vertical spoons currently. 6-8lb line on a jigging rod? Jigging action the same as w/ panfish? Please send email to [email protected]

Thanks.

Nubbinbuck, sounds like you are off to a good start with spoons. Don't forget to always have a good assortment of Northland jigs when walleye fishing. YES, even in winter - can be fished with a live minnow. Jigging Rapalas are another must. Vertical jig them with a minnow chunk on the center hook. Jig near the bottom and occassionaly let the jig hit the bottom to kick up a cloud of silt - this can really draw attention. If you have a depth finder, always reel up to targets off the bottom. They can be walleyes or some other nice surprise. Perch, chartreuse, and glow-in-the-dark are colors that you want to have in every walleye bait you own.

------------------
www.rainylakefishing.com
Int'l
Angling Adventures

It won't be long to opener. I've yet to catch a good size Walleye on Titonka during this time or any for that matter. I've seen other people catch good size ones. I think I've tryed everything. Got any good ideas for me to try this year? <>< Mary <><