• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Once-in-a-lifetime moose license

Hi All,

I recently found out that I drew a once-in-a-lifetime ND moose license. I'm very excited about this! The tag is for M6, which is for the SE part of the state (border by Grand Forks West to Devil's Lake, then South through Valley City down to the SD border). I would be extremely appreciative of any useful info for this tag! Also, I'd be very grateful for anyone reading this to keep their eyes open for me and please PM me if you see any bull moose this Summer.

I'm a bowhunter and I will do everything I can to fill my tag with the stick and string in the month of Sep. Only 15 people drew this tag and I imagine not many of them will be using archery tackle, so I don't anticipate much competition in Sep. The hard part will simply be to find some moose to hunt- the moose density per acre isn't exactly high in M6.

Any info by then would be greatly appreciated. I'll occasionally bump this thread up to the top in hopes of reminding people to keep their eyes open for me. Thanks much!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky you! I can only imagine that having a good recon trip prior to the opener, good intel and a good block of time to do it will all be required. My big fear is always, "How am I going to get that outta the woods".

smile Good luck Scoot and keep us updated!

My big fear is always, "How am I going to get that outta the woods".

Thanks Michael, I'm excited about it! I know a lot of people have been overwhelmed when they discover just how big a moose is, and once it's on the ground they are ill prepared to deal with it. However, I'm really not too worried about that end of it. I've taken care of seven different elk and the pack out with the elk was always multiple miles and at least a 1000' verticle foot climb. I know moose are bigger, but I am very confident I won't be climbing more than about 30' in the unit I have a tag for... Plus, once it's time to hunt, I've got a bunch of buddies who want to come along and all of us have frame packs. Actually, it's kind of sick, but I love the burn in my legs and the fire in my lungs from hauling out a critter in a pack. The best workout I could ever ask for!

I totally agree with you though- I'll need good intel, scouting, time, and a healthy dose of luck! Hopefully all who read this will think of me if/when they see moose in Eastern ND this year and shoot me a PM.

Between Langdon and can do is where we typically duck hunt and every year we see one or two moose. I do be leave that there is a wild life area NE of can do. Last year a guy pulled a nice big bull out of there. I know it's not much but it's a start. Good luck and let me know how you end up.

Yes, OA, it is. Basically the zone goes along HWY 2 from Grand Forks to Devil's Lake, then South. Anything South of HWY 2 and at all East of Devil's Lake or Valley City is in M6. I'd greatly appreciate any info you or anyone could dig up, particularly once July or Aug rolls around.

Thanks again!

I have to be honest- I'm not sure. I know a guy who shot a 47" bull NW of Fargo about an hour or so two years ago. The land owner showed me a pic of it and he said there was one considerably bigger on his property that nobody ever got.

That being said, it's my impression that not too many 50" bulls have been shot in ND...

I know of people who have taken bulls from Mcville area to around Larimore. It seems to be good concertration there. I'm sure there's big ones around but I never have heard of anything as big as 47" taken. That is nice where ever that bull is taken besides Alaska. I think they have to be atleast a 52" spread minimum.

The cool part is only 15 people got a tag for your area and there's a good chance your the only bowhunter of the 15. This makes getting tips and reports a big plus. Hopefully anybody reading this board that knows something gives you a PM. I hope we see some nice pics this fall from you.

Just curious do you tune up your bow at all for Moose or do you keep it all the same as you would for white tails? What grain broad heads?

The cool part is only 15 people got a tag for your area and there's a good chance your the only bowhunter of the 15. This makes getting tips and reports a big plus. Hopefully anybody reading this board that knows something gives you a PM. I hope we see some nice pics this fall from you.

I'm sure that's more info than you were looking for, but that's the skinny on my current set up. I can't wait to try put it to use on a big bull! I sent my check in yesterday to get my tag-- $23 to hunt moose in ND! Unbelievable... I NEVER get lucky with stuff like this. Well, never except this time!

That was the response I was hoping for Scoot. Thanks for the lengthy reply. I'm just getting into gun hunting and will try bow hunting one day so I appreciate all the info. Lots of varibles bowhunting.

Yes, lots! If you decide you'd like to give archery tackle a try, let me know- I'd be happy to walk through some of the options and things to consider. Maybe we could discuss it while chucking musky lures some day...

Excellent- thanks much Tom! I keep hearing about the Page, Hope, Galesburg area a pocket that tends to have a little higher density of moose. I'll be curious to hear if your sources say the same thing.

Hey Scoot. I haven't forgot about this thread. The only moose I saw this year so far is a cow south of the Grand Forks airbase. I'm looking for a nice bull to message you. I've been working inthe Devils lake area lately. I haven't seen anything that would be in your unit yet.