• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New York Fishing Reports and Ramblings

The turkeys have been strutting and trout season is upon us, spring is here(along with some snow, lol). Lets see some reports guys, been real quiet around here. whistle

Tank and I are hitting the creeks in the morning. Hopefully I will have some picts...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from an outstanding morning! Cold with snow/rain till about noon but the streams were in excelent shape.

We started on our fav finger lake trib and played with some awesome rainbows.

I started things of with this nice 18 inch freshie...

full-1130-7297-001.jpg

About 10 min later I was tight to the biggest stream trout I ever hooked! I stayed calm and after a while beached the beast. A beutifull 26 inch colored up male.

full-1130-7298-005.jpg

I had dropped Tank off up-stream but we had the radios and nobody to take a pict till later. And they never come out good later, plus its a tad blury...

full-1130-7299-016.jpg

Next hole I hit a nice sliver 20ish incher but the hook popped after a nice battle.

Then I got a few smaller but fun ones in the 14-15 inch range.

Tank was into fish also, nothing over twenty but nice.

full-1130-7300-013.jpg

full-1130-7301-014.jpg

Usually the lake run fish are a poke and hope, looking for a fish or two. Today was our best day for size and numbers...

On the way home we hit a small stream and picked up 4 nice holdover browns in the 13-15 inch range. These fish that spent a year of two in the stream are tasty. Looking forward to eating something besides panfish. shockedgrin

full-1130-7302-020.jpg

Great fish Jay and Tank. Was planning on going to the local stream after work but as luck would have it I ended up still at work at 5pm waitin on a southern bound truck. Maybe this weekend..

Jay and Tank - congrats on a great opening day, some excellent fish. That custom made fly rod looks better every time I see it. Jay thanks once again for those shad darts you gave me a couple of years ago, they were magical the last two days on Oneida smilesmile

Finally hit Oneida creek in Munnsville this morning. After breakin the bail on my good ultra light i was able to put a couple 12-14" on the bank. My buddy Scott had the magic lure as he caught about 12 rangeing from 8-14". Great mornin to be out enjoying nature. Might do it again tmro...

Prety nice weekend out there! Anyone get out?

I hit up some finger lakes trout this morning and had a good time. Driftin eggs on the centerpin. cool

A heavy brown!

full-1130-7601-006.jpg

Landlock salmon. These silver bullets go nuts when hooked.

full-1130-7602-005.jpg

PMan - No problem on the darts. They flat out work, I use em alot. We'll get ya some more for christmas, lol...

Ok, TimmyToe is alive and well in NY, where is everyone else???

Yesterday was the PA trout opener. We slid south for the morning and had a good time landing about 20 trout. Mostly 10-12 inchers but I did get this pig brookie...

full-1130-7815-029.jpg

Awesome fish guys as usual. Jay, that is one hell of a brookie. Been out of action for a while since some virus, etc. cooked the hard drive of my computer. Day to day life without a computer is almost as bad as icefishing without electronics!!!

Jay - thanks much for the promise of a early Christmas present - I did real well with the brown colored darts you gave me - used some of the mayfly nymphs the perch spit up and carefully threaded them on the dart and it was pure magic. Also wacked some on those Burke's you know about.

Did the Big Bay shuffle by boat the other day and caught some nice crappies. Unfortunately the pickerel made it almost impossible to fish effectively. Has to be a ton of them on that end of the big O.

crappie1.jpg

Gasing up at the local Hess station yesterday when I heard someone yell to me. Looked up and it was Timmy. Decked out in that bright red Marcum sweatshirt. Good to see him but didn't have any time to talk much.

Jay thats one beauty of a brookie! cool

Well Dave you look great but that crappie your holding... well heck its better looking than the both of us. grin Yeah it was nice running into you at the gas station. Manny and I use to do well in Big Bay Creek in the spring long time ago now..

Thanks Timmy, never actually fished in the creek although I know people do. You fished with Manny? - you talking Manny Ramirez? laughlaugh. Some spring we've had - can't even fish. By the time it gets half way decent it'll be walleye time.

Dave - Mike aka Manny was an old friend of mine not that roided out freak grin I am impressed that Jay got some nice shots with the sun out cause lately all we have seen is clouds and rain in central new york you think it was washington state instead of new york.

Didn't think it was the dreadlocked one. grin

Hope everyone has a nice Easter. Weather looks great as usual for around here.

Timmy, gonna sit down and relax this afternoon and watch Carp & Albert do a number on my mighty Redlegs.

Hope everyone has a nice Easter. Wow can't remember the last time we didn't go out for Easter Dinner so Amanda, Rosa and I are staying home. Dinner at one and Karen and my grand daughter Cecelia stopping over at 4 p.m.

Rubber match Sunday Night Dave and it is on ESPN so I can watch it although my Celtics are going for a sweep over Carmelo but the highlight game for me this weekend was the Bruins double ot win last night. B's go down 0-2 and come back with three straight wins Wow!

Tanks been getting trout all week down in PA. Creeks were high and barely fishable. They dropped nice the last few days. We hit a few creeks this morning and found about 15 trout, browns, brookies, and rainbows...

Tank Got a slob of a brookie - 18 inches!!!

full-1130-8272-002.jpg

full-1130-8273-006.jpg

Jay and I fished for walleye last evening in the Susquehanna. Caught 4 16-20inchers in the first half hr then nothing. Quit at 2 am. At 1/4 of 2 we got checked by 2 conservation officers. They said they checked all the favorite places and said we had the only eyes they saw. River was way higher that we'd like.

Ok Ive been waitin to get these pics from my buddy cause I couldnt tell the story without the pics.

Opening morning of Waldo season. 345 am hit the canal and thru everything at em til day light and no luck. Headed to our family spot on fish creek bout 630. Hooked and lost 3 fish in the first hour. A couple keeper eyes were landed by our clan by about 8:30. Round 830 im working a custom made perch pattern jig along bottom and the rod loads up. I give it the ol Bill Dance hook set and the battle begins.. "This is big" I say to my buddy Scott as the drag is spinnin. Bout 10 mins in, someone says its a carp. Nope, it aint runnin like a carp, maybe its a big ol cat fish, my Uncle says. Im not feeling the catfish shake on this one i reply. After about 30mins we get a look at the tail. Hmm thats a funny looking tail. Kinda looks like a sharks tail, its gotta wierd fork in it. After an hour and 15 minutes of gainin 20 feet of line and then loosein 20 yards of line, I was spent!!! So I cranked the drag down and decided that your either gonna let me land you or ull break me off. Ive had enough... the battle was an hour and a half and the result.......IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Yes it was a sturgon. In the short time it was out of the water, (bout 1 minute total) we estimated it between 40-50lbs and every bit of 48"

I had snagged it in the side just below the rear fin in front of the tail. An amazing adventure and an awsome creature..

Very cool Calli!!!

We spent a few days down to camp. Not too much going on with the walleyes, still a bit high for down there. Did prety good with some wild trout in my favorite rifts...

full-1130-8684-010.jpg

Some bugs hatching, not alot, but enough to get the fish looking up. Nothing better than a 17 inch rainbow from down there on a fly rod! grin

full-1130-8685-004.jpg

Moslty rainbows and a few smaller browns mixed in...

full-1130-8687-002.jpg

full-1130-8686-011.jpg

Also got the camp tidy'd up - grass cut, gutters cleaned, fire wood, ect...