• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

correct windshield hight

Steve Bakken

Just put a windshield on my street bike and I am getting two different opinions on placement. Some are telling me that you want it full highth for protection, and others are telling me that you want to cut it just below your line of sight so that bugs or rain won't obstruct your view and compromise safety. Any opinions?

It's what you like. I have a full windshield on my bike. I have rode in the rain and I have not had a problem. Matter fact I can't imagine riding my bike in the rain without a full windshield. The full windshield help blocked the rain when you driving 60mph.

I would suggest to have your windshield height adjusted so, in the event you're one who doesn't wear a helmet, you don't end up with this in your face:

full-8710-7159-bugsplat.jpg

I'm not sure if it was a large butterfly, grasshopper or even a bird. All I know is it sure rocked my head back when it hit.

I have a full size one on my bike that is about 2 inches lower than my line of sight. Most bugs go up over my head and like most I dont ride in the rain unless I have to. Biggest thing that I like about it is when the wx is cold it will take the brunt of the wind off of ya! Take care and N Joy the Ride././Jimbo

I prefer it just below my line of sight. That way I don't need to clean the shield as often because I'm not actually looking through it. I know people who want it above their eyes, just not me.

The biggest thing is making sure you have it adjusted correctly so you limit the amount of helmet buffeting(sp) you will encounter.

To get technical, I believe that it shoule be no higher than your nose while sitting in your riding position. But As for me on my RoadKing, it is right at eye level. Took some getting use to but I love it! I look over most of the time and never get hit by bugs, the wind comming off of the windsheild launches them over my head/face. As for cold or rain it is nice because I dont really have to change my position, just kind of relax to a less straight up position. As was mentioned above it really boils down to what you like, take it for a ride and see, than make the adjustments till you get it right!!! Ride safe!!!

Didn't find any laws but found this on how to setup your shield. Sorry but the table didn't copy off the site I got it from but it does give some ideas.

How to choose the best windshield height for you.

The yardstick method below gives the correct answer, including adjustments for your riding posture, handlebar height, seat height, etc. The table below is only approximate. To use the table, get a size estimate from the table using your height and pants leg length. If you're between sizes, use the larger size if you live in a colder climate, or the smaller size if you live in a warmer climate. People in Florida or Houston need somewhat shorter windshields, people in Seattle or Juneau need taller windshields. Both the yardstick method and the table are for people who want to look over the windshield. If you want to look through the windshield, add about 3" to your windshield height. Of course the quietest possible ride is when you're looking through the windshield, but only about 1% of our customers are interested in looking through a windshield.

Younger guys (under 35) typically want about an inch or two shorter windshield to get a sportier feel. Older guys (over 45) typically want a more quiet and comfortable ride and prefer about an inch taller shield.

If you want coverage for your body up to your shoulders, but your head in undisturbed full-speed air, then your windshield's top edge should visually hit the ground about 10' - 12' (3 - 4 meters) in front of the front tire contact patch.

Yardstick Method of determining windshield height

If your stock shield is mechanically adjustable, put it in the lowest position. If your windshield is electrically adjustable, put it about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up.

Get a yard (meter) stick - free at Home Depot or most hardware stores.

Park your bike on level ground. Measure 30' (9 meters) from your front wheel contact patch. Drop something on the pavement, keys, a rock, whatever.

Measure 30' (nine meters) more, you're now 60' (18 meters) in front of your bike. Drop something else, wallet, ex-girlfriend, whatever.

Tape the yardstick along the center of the windshield with masking tape or something, with the 20" mark aligned with the top of the windshield and the stick pointing up.

Sit on your bike and look at the two things you dropped on the pavement. Try to sit with your normal riding posture. Don't cheat - if you slouch a bit when riding, slouch a bit now.

You can sight along the yard stick and see how many inches up from the top of the shield you see the 30' and 60' marks. This tells you how many inches taller you would like your windshield.

Your optimum windshield height is somewhere between these two heights. Lower for warmer climates, sportier feel and more air flow. Higher for colder climates / quieter riding / more wind protection. Our shields are typically made in 1.5" (4cm) increments to help you get the best height for you.

I added a sport shield last season well below my line of sight and it blocks much of the wind and bugs. Another thing to consider is whether the shield if clear or tinted. Tinted ones can be harder to see through in the darker hours of the day. Thats why I went with a sport shield below my line of sight. Good addition what ever you choose.