• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Green fluid coming out of muffler?

I have an 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. I got stuck on LOTW last weekend and when shoveling under the truck just in front of the rear tires there was green liquid on the snow. It did not smell or taste like antifreeze and it appeared to be dripping from the muffler?-- If anyone has any idea what this is please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity I googled your symptoms. Came across a thread with a similiar issue, green fluid from tail pipe ( had orange antifreeze) and the suggestion was refrigerant dye due to leak in ac system.

There was no taste or smell info included.

Thanks for all the responses. The fluid is bright green, like antifreeze, but -- my antifreeze is pink. I don't believe there are any AC lines back there, but I suppose it is possible it could be leaking onto the exhaust and running down and back until it drips there? Very weird but I hope to check it out tomorrow night.

Is the driveshaft throwing it onto the muffler while spinning in place?? Or is it dripping out a weep hole on the muffler, catalyst condensate? Could it be diluted grease rubbing off the rear u-joint onto the snow? is the pinion seal leaking due to the rear axle vent being froze and/or plugged??

Thanks for all the responses. The fluid is bright green, like antifreeze, but -- my antifreeze is pink. I don't believe there are any AC lines back there, but I suppose it is possible it could be leaking onto the exhaust and running down and back until it drips there? Very weird but I hope to check it out tomorrow night.

If it is leaking freely when not running, you would have a big problem I would think. To make it through the entire exhaust (cat and muffler) I would think it would be a substantial leak and you would notice on the level.

The muffler is underneath the bed, and you saw the fluid in front of rear tires.

Are you sure it wasn't something inside bed that broke and dripped off the drain holes, on top of frame, then on top of muffler, and finally on ground ? Something like a Mountain Dew can/bottle, antifreeze bottle, etc ?

Or could it be you were digging into grass and sprayed some slush/grass mix onto muffler which then thawed and dripped on ground ?

I get a kick to the fact you actually "tasted" it.... crazy

Yah, I laughed @ that too, but I have tasted anti freeze... lol

I usually just stick to the smell test. Last night I was helping a friend fix a car and when we finished it up, we had to do some diagnostic on the power steering pump and why it makes so much noise. I popped the cover off, fluid was extremely low. Added power steering fluid and as it got tot he top it was DARK brown. Somebody mixed oil into the power steering reservoir. whoops

Today i noticed a bright green fluid dripping from my exhaust (tail pipe). My antifreeze is pink. Has anyone had this issue before? If you have could you please explain to me what it is and why this green fluid is coming from my tail pipe area. Thank you in advance.