• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does high tech = enjoyment

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

My favorite way to fish is when I go up to Alaska each spring, throw the waders on and walk a mile down river to get completely by myself and cast for monster wall hanger king and red salmon.

Ditto on that, although that's #2 in my book, and I much prefer to have my dad along.

My favorite way to fish is just bottom fishing the gulf of Mexico with cut bait as far out as I'm able to take it. Use a rod holder in the sand, kick back with a book, or just get a tan and nap, and wait for that clicker to start singing!

I really need a kayak though to place my bait in more prime 'big shark' territory. One of these summers I'm going to take a month to target Pensicola great hammerheads and tiger sharks from shore laugh

Wading a river in late July/early August is the best. Old pair of shoes, a skitter pop, a husky jerk, and a bunch of river smallies and a bonus walleye. The only signs of civilization is the occasional group or canoes or kayaks. Catch a few fish and swat a few horse flies. Listen to the Twins on the radio on the ride home. Perfect. Wouldn't want to do it this way all the time, but once in a while it's a heckuva deal.

Not always...there are days when I just want to do as little as possible and totally relax. I won't turn on the humminbird, GPS, or drop the trolling motor. Find one of my old honeyholes on the lake, drop anchor, and use an ultralight rig with a slip-bobber and some live bait, tilt the seat back, and put my feet up....fishing at it's best, the way I grew up with it. smile

For me, the recipe for fun is: Use the simplest set-up you can be productive with.

It's hard to troll a weedline without a depth finder, but a 20 year old Lowrance ($5 at a garage sale) has guided me to hundreds of fish.

I don't have a flasher for ice fishing yet, but this winter, I limited out on crappies more times than not.

I rely more on technology when planning an excursion (reading lake surveys and contour maps on the DNR site) than during actual fishing.

It feels more natural and relaxing with less stuff.