• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full Synthetic Oil

Easy way of keeping track is a piece of duct tape and Sharpie indicating mileage stuck under the hood. Conventional or syn you still have to check the oil and if this is under the hood you know the last mileage change of oil, oil filter and air filter. Maybe even the last time the tranny has been serviced.?.?.?.? Even the last time the tires have been rotated. Or you could make and execl spread sheet?????????

i just bought a new town and country van with the 4.0 lt motor. looking at the maintenance intervals it does not show the 3000 mile change, it now starts at 6000 then 12000. When the time comes it will be amsoil as i am tired of the conventional oil change thing. I have run mobil 1 in my truck and change it every 12k over 100k on the engine.

I run all my mobile 1 syn 10k-12k, sometimes more. Guess what I tested my syn oil at 15k on the diesel and it came back good. Never did a filter change.

This is exactly why I am changing, the places I get it from you have to order it. I want to be able to go pick up a liter her or there when I want to...

Keeping track of mileage, when I get an oil change I note the mileage. and when ever I think about it between 6-10K i will do a change. typically its more towards the 10K side.

Why dont you need to keep track of it? Im not seeing your logic by just changing it at a random point between 6000 and 10000.

What logic? I could waste my money and change every 3K and be strict about it. What are you getting at. I do what I do and how I do it because I want to and it is my car, my maintenance.

Being a mechanic, I know when I tear down an engine, and it is full of sludge, I know this person wasnt changing oil soon enough. On a base engine intervals arent as important, but when you get into engines with variable cam timing, it is important. Once the engine gets full of sludge, you might as well, just order a new one. Oil changes are cheap, and are easy to do. I see no reason to go more then 10k on any oil.

I am not saying synthetic oil isnt good to past that, but there are other reasons to get your vehicle in. The biggest problem I see with synthetics is people dont check their oil, and they just add when the engine light comes on, or the oil pressure gauge drops at idle. Other concerns are vehicle inspections. Those pesky oil change techs keep telling you that you need brakes very soon, or your ball joint/tie rod ends are ready to fall off. Most all places now inspect your vehicle for free during an oil change. Believe it or not, they are not only doing it to upsell and make money off of you, they are doing it for your safety, and the safety of others. And if you do your own oil changes, I hope this is something you practice, checking out these things. In the end, it is your vehicle, and service it as you please, if you dont maintain it well enough, the repair will be out of your pocket.

If you become an independant amsoil dealer (which only costs $20) you can get the dealer discount from Napa in Bville off hwy 13 too.

Did I mention that they stock it on the shelf? Yes they do!!

Only mentioning again because you suggested you wanted to go in and pick it up instead of having it ordered.

Amsoil is still the best IMHO.

Did I mention that they stock it on the shelf? Yes they do!!

Only mentioning again because you suggested you wanted to go in and pick it up instead of having it ordered.

Amsoil is still the best IMHO.

Several napa's have ams oil. My blend I used is special order.

I will try this lubro moly for a while. since now you can mix oils it wont be an issue changing

Those pesky oil change techs keep telling you that you need brakes very soon, or your ball joint/tie rod ends are ready to fall off. Most all places now inspect your vehicle for free during an oil change. Believe it or not, they are not only doing it to upsell and make money off of you, they are doing it for your safety, and the safety of others.

I would estimate that about 90% of the vehicles that come into the shop on a tow truck with broken front end parts have a quick lube sticker in the window. Quick lubes are great for convenience but they can't beat the inspection you will get at a good full service shop!

Test drive an oil change? Not normally. If this is any kind of quick lube she is going to, the wheels won't even leave the ground.

Car repairs begin with communication. If this is the way you approach shops, you are setting yourself up for dissapointment.

There is no test drive with an oil change and unless they have a big enough parking lot to get the car up to 30mph when pulling it in or it is so bad that it shouldn't have been driven period than I would have to agree with you setting yourself up with disappointment!

I do my own car repairs, then the disappointment is on me lol.

Heck after putting my head on my car I kept my loaner car for one more day so I could test drive and break in my car around town so if it did break down I would be close to home not 30 miles away.

works good except for a minor CEL issue, but could be from my bad Cat.