• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full Synthetic Oil

I typically run Amsoil in my motor. My cousin use to be a dealer and would give me a great deal. However, now he doesn't do it anymore and trying to get my blend seems to be more of a chore if anything. Having the convenience of an auto parts store to get my oil is what I'm looking for.

From personal opinions, to professional opinions.

"What is the best easily ready synthetic in your opinion and why?"

This is a Ford vs Chevy thing. You will get a zillion opinions. The fact is that all are pretty good including the conventional oils. The only way to tell is to do an oil analysis and measure wear and how it holds up over extended miles.

I use mainly Valvoline SynPower because it is on sale and has rebates often around here, but I have used Mobil 1 too. If you are stuck on Amsoil, many NAPA Stores carry it. Penzoil Platinum is good as well. Check out Bob is the Oil Guy for everything and more you want to know about oil.

I guess i just want to know if there is an oil that performs just as well as amsoil that doesn't require frequent oil changes. When I popped my head off my car, I was expecting lots of gunk and sludge just because it is a car that is 10 years old.

There was nothing, not a spec of sludge, just dirty oil because I'm due for a change. I believe its because of my synthetic Ive ran in it for the 10 years Ive had it.

Synthetic definitely helps, but I bet it would look almost as good with a good quality conventional changed every 3-4,000 miles. Oils are much better now than they used to be.

I have been using Valvoline Synpower and everything is very clean. Inspections under the valve covers are very clean. I don't put a lot of miles on and usually change every 5,000. This usually takes me through the winter so I don't have to freeze my butt off changing oil in the cold. Many of my miles are city driving.

I wouldn't be afraid to use any of the major brand synthetics. If you have sludge and gunk with today's oils it is because of neglect or an engine problem.

I used to run amsoil, but for easy I now run mobile 1 syn. 5-40 in the tank and 0-20 in the go cart. Moblie 1 syn tranny fluid in both. The tank has 270,000 on her, oem engine and tranny. It gets beat hard nine months out of the year. Knock on wood, I hope the tranny gets one more season.

That is my point, I don't want to change it every 3-4K. I was going extremely high miles with just a filter change in between...

I am sure I could do that with regular or conventional oil as well. But I do not dare smile

So go with Mobil 1 or SynPower and you will be fine for 5-7000 miles. You could probably go more, but I would only do that after a used oil analysis says you are good to go. Just because it says you can go 25,000 miles on a change on the bottle doesn't make this a blanket statement.

How long were you running Amsoil?

The Amsoil is a bit of a hassle to get ahold of, so I switched to Mobil 1 awhile back. Instead of the 10-20,000 intervals, I did about 7,500. No problems, and easy to get ahold of. I'm debating on what I'll be running in the new truck, but I'm leaning towards Amsoil again.

I mean how many miles between changes.

That depends lol.

I never really kept an accurate reading. My trip odometer always reset after so many miles. Id say anywhere in between 6-10K.

Sometimes id do a complete change, sometimes id just do an oil filter change.

Isn't contamination a concern with any oil, especially in the winter and with a lot of short trips?

Yes, but todays oil and engines are much better than they were in the past.

So they resist or tolerate the contamination better? Or do newer cars not produce as much oil contamination due to things like crankcase ventilation?

That depends lol.

I never really kept an accurate reading. My trip odometer always reset after so many miles. Id say anywhere in between 6-10K.

Sometimes id do a complete change, sometimes id just do an oil filter change.

Ummmm....... your concerned about which oil is the best out there and you dont even keep track of when you change it?

quote=spearchucker]

no, and I would guess that stuff is harder to find than Amsoil. /quote]

napa

If you become an independant amsoil dealer (which only costs $20) you can get the dealer discount from Napa in Bville off hwy 13 too.

Ummmm....... your concerned about which oil is the best out there and you dont even keep track of when you change it?

Nope, I do not need to. I am concerned about finding a decent oil that is easily accessible in most places. I don't need to keep track of it. With the higher end synthetics you can go higher mileages before having to change the oil. Typically I just change a filter, add more oil. Go a few months and then do a complete change.

Nope, I do not need to. I am concerned about finding a decent oil that is easily accessible in most places. I don't need to keep track of it. With the higher end synthetics you can go higher mileages before having to change the oil. Typically I just change a filter, add more oil. Go a few months and then do a complete change.

Why dont you need to keep track of it? Im not seeing your logic by just changing it at a random point between 6000 and 10000.

I run all my mobile 1 syn 10k-12k, sometimes more. Guess what I tested my syn oil at 15k on the diesel and it came back good. Never did a filter change. The only reason I changed from amsoil is easy of getting. 10k filters are very easy to come buy these day's. People are so trained to change oil at 3000. Popular science did a report a few years ago on NY taxi's. The conventional oil was tested and at 7500 miles it was still found good. Oil companies sell oil so the more you change it the more they make. The spec in the owners manual are there for the protection of the manufactures and the warranties. With the advance of air filter's and oil filter's this is not your dad's car of the 70-80's or beyond. There is all this talk about changing oil between 3-7K. How often do air filters get changed?????? I remember those thing getting replaced every oil change, BACK IN THE DAY. Now it has become 15k -20K if not more depending on type. I up graded my diesel to a Donaldson and it gets 60K easy every time. Conventional or syn the additives are so different that now that many people just don't understand. A high quatilty air filter and oil filter are the difference maker's.