• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Google Chrome not playing nice with pdf's

Since sometime last fall I cannot open links to .pdf files online using Google Chrome. I can only assume that this started happening after an update was pushed out for Chrome. This is happening on my desktop and laptop, so it's not an issue with a specific machine.

Does anybody else who uses Chrome have this problem and/or have a solution for this? I've checked around online but didn't find much for answers. It gets old having to copy the link and paste it directly into Reader to view pdfs. Using Internet Explorer is not an acceptable solution. sickgrin

What version of Chrome are you running?

Type about:plugins into the address bar and look for and option called Adobe Acrobat. You can enable or disable the built-in PDF support and run the full Adobe Reader version instead.

Yep, I've played aroung with the plugin settings but didn't have any luck. It's the latest and greatest version of Chrome (v10) but this has been happening for 4-5 months at least and a few revisions back....about the time Chrome integrated their own pdf viewer that I haven't seen work yet. I've disabled the Chrome pdf viewer and enabled the adobe viewer and all other combinations but nothing matters.

My desktop is older running XP and my laptop is about two years old running Win7 (was Vista).

It just seems to me that an update to Chrome was pushed out last fall and since then I've not been able to open links to pdfs so that they open up in the browser window.

What happens now is that after a link to a pdf is selected, a new tab opens with the full address in the address bar as it should but just a blank screen shows up. It acts like the browser is not linked to Adobe Acrobat.

Do you use Chrome?

I use Chrome quite a bit. I used to use Firefox, but it got slow so I tried Chrome and like it. It is definitely faster than Firefox. IE9 is pretty fast as well. The only thing that doesn't work as well in Chrome is the printing, which I use very little. There is not print Preview and the experimental Print Preview caused problems on my machine so I shut it off.

I am using the beta version of Chrome (latest is 10.0.648.134 beta). I use it on XP and Windows 7 without problems. Maybe try uninstalling both Chrome and Acrobat Reader and reintstall them. Chrome shouldn't need Acrobat Read installed.

Have you tried installing an alternate pdf reader plugin?

I just use firefox, its always been fast for me, never slow...

what would cause a browser to slow down?

Chrome isn't supposed to need a plug-in for PDFs.

Firefox is getting pretty outdated compared to other browsers. There development cycle has gotten pretty long and they seem to be having trouble getting their new version out. Firefox 4 is supposed to be out soon, but they have been saying that for 6 months. Firefox is just slow starting up and slower rendering pages than Chrome or IE9.

I don't use chrome or that garbage IE except to make sure webpages work on IE when I make them.

Firefox 4. beta is out for trial btw. just an FYI

Why do you hate IE so much? Have you tried IE9 yet? It seems to work well for me and is much faster than IE8.

I have tried the Firefox 4 beta and currently have the RC loaded like you. It is faster than 3.6, but I still have stability issues with it. Many times when closing it, it will hang and I have to go into Task Manager and kill it before I can start it up again. It used to be the only browser I used, but I have found myself using it less and less since Chrome.

My wife and kids use IE9 and I have been using mostly Chrome. It has grown on me. Google has a really aggressive development cycle and they are constantly fixing and adding features.

I have never had FF hang up on me when closing. must be something on your computers end, not the software its self.

Because designing in web standards according to World Wide Web Consortium using HTML and CSS 2.0 +. IE sucked for reading style sheets. It still does in 8, maybe 9 is different.

FF will always read HTML and CSS accurately because there are web developers behind FF. Basically I make a HSOforum viewing it in FF. It comes out perfect. After completion I go into IE and see where its all whack and make the coding changes to accomodate IE, because well it needs to since that is the major browser used.

It use to be a 1 pixel difference in FF could mean a 10 pixel difference in IE. It was that bad.

Also firefox allows awesome designing and development tools for a web designer.

Microsoft simply supply's a browser! frown a crappy one in my opinion.

It maybe some combination of software on my machines that causes the hang. I have 4 machines that started doing this with FF. It started after the 3.6 update a long time ago. I used to use FF exclusively. I have only done limited web development.

That is the great thing about many different browsers being available, You can pick the one that works best for you. That is why they are called personal computers.

It maybe some combination of software on my machines that causes the hang. I have 4 machines that started doing this with FF. It started after the 3.6 update a long time ago. I used to use FF exclusively. I have only done limited web development.

That is the great thing about many different browsers being available, You can pick the one that works best for you. That is why they are called personal computers.

True, except for you have to develop a HSOforum for all different platfroms which sucks. None are the same. But you have to develop to the major diversity that uses IE because they do not know any better..

I am using the beta version of Chrome (latest is 10.0.648.134 beta). I use it on XP and Windows 7 without problems. Maybe try uninstalling both Chrome and Acrobat Reader and reintstall them. Chrome shouldn't need Acrobat Read installed.

My laptop is a fresh installation from the OS on up. I've tried uninstalling Acrobat to possible prevent a conflict but that didn't help.

I have the same version of Chrome as you do.

For what it is worth, I just fired up chrome(I usually use ff) and opened a dnr fisheries investigational report number 368 on "fishing in 3 mississippi reservoirs". And it worked just fine.

Not the world's fanciest PDF but it worked for me.

one thing i hate about the new FF is they changed the Open new window and open new tab around. Open window use to be on the top of the properties drop down, and the new tab was below it. Now i automatically do it that way and open a bunch of windows instead!

mad

Have you installed the latest Adobe Reader v10? For some reason, ever since I installed that version I started having some problems with Chrome but I noticed that when I tried to open a .pdf file in Chrome I received a message asking if I wanted to open it in Adobe Reader instead. I chose yes and then it asked if I always wanted to use Reader and I chose yes and haven't had any more issues. This all happened in the last week.

Call me crazy ....but I've found IE to be my most stable and QUICKEST browser of late. To me FF gets worse with every update. I still prefer Avant overall.

I like IE9. It seems right on par with Chrome for speed. Maybe even faster, but they feel about the same.