• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AP Compares the NFL to "Modern Day Slavery"...

Lip_Ripper Guy

I'm not saying they aren't overpaid or get payed alot of money to do something cool. Who really cares? He says one little thing in a whole interview and people try to blow it up into something it's not so all the nosey people that care about what people say and do can have something to complain about.

I couldn't care less what Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, AP,ect, do or say. Everyone would say and do alot of stupid stuff if you were in front of a mic and camera your whole life. Get over it.

All he meant was the owners wants them to play 2 more games but not get payed for them, and the owners want to make a bunch more money for themselves and not pay the people that made it for them. I'd be happy to play football for 100k a year, but I'm not them. They have to train everyday and be on the road away from their families for most of the year, it's not like they just show up on Sunday and play football.

All he meant was the owners wants them to play 2 more games but not get payed for them, and the owners want to make a bunch more money for themselves and not pay the people that made it for them. I'd be happy to play football for 100k a year, but I'm not them. They have to train everyday and be on the road away from their families for most of the year, it's not like they just show up on Sunday and play football.

More work, same money or not. They can still WALK AWAY.

Away from their family? Come on. They are only away if they choose not to move where there team is. Which is their choice. They have to stay in a hotel the night before the game. Otherwise they are home every night of the week (maybe late on a couple sunday night games)

Quote:
More work, same money or not. They can still WALK AWAY.
Do you mean quit.

Man if everybody quit and not fought for what they want we would be in a lot worse shape than we are in now that goes for business owners and employees alike. Great message to send out.

Do you mean quit.

Man if everybody quit and not fought for what they want we would be in a lot worse shape than we are in now that goes for business owners and employees alike. Great message to send out.

The message I'm sending out, is slaves didn't have that option. Therefore this is nothing like slavery.

If they want to fight for more, that's OK by me, just don't think of yourself as a slave if you have a choice.

The message I'm sending out, is slaves didn't have that option. Therefore this is nothing like slavery.

If they want to fight for more, that's OK by me, just don't think of yourself as a slave if you have a choice.

The word slavery has no business in any context or language referring to a professional athlete.

I think everyone's taking a bad analogy and making way too big of deal about it. Read the article again...he was merely making an analogy.

Get ready for all kinds of articles like this...remember, there are literally thousands of reporters out there who cover the NFL as their job. This time of year is usually the heart of free-agency and they have lot's of topics to choose to write about. Now, they have nothing to cover and so they'll try and justify their income to their employers by coming up with all types of junk to stay employed.

Don't take the bait.

Heard a good discussion on the Sports Reporters this morning addressing AP's comments. A couple of points that were brought up were:

The average life of an NFL player is now 3 years

The NFL's revenue has tripled in the last 3 years

The players salaries have gone up moderately in that same time period

Sure the higher profile players salaries are going to draw the most attention but a majority of players don't make a quarter of the top salaries. With that being said, they are being paid well to do their job. Too many fans feel they are being paid to play a game. To the players it is a job, a year round job. I've heard fans saying,"I would play the game for a small portion of what the players get paid." Would you feel slighted if the company you worked for were making record profits and you were being given cost of living raises. I don't know where AP was getting this analogy, he was way off but I do believe the players are entitled to be rewarded if the league is doing as well as they are. My opinion is a bit biased as I was paid to play football 34 years ago when salaries were a joke and did get my career shortened by an injury.

Would you feel slighted if the company you worked for were making record profits and you were being given cost of living raises.

Happens to most of America every day. The difference is most of America isn't making a 6 or 7 figure salary. Even the lowest paid players in the NFL are making 6 figure incomes.

The lower paid workers in the rest of/real America are making minimum wage.

Slavery? I don't freakin think so. Overpaid spoonfed cry babies? Easier to believe.

Nearly 7 billion people in the world, only about 1300 are capable of playing the game at the NFL level each year. Rather small supply for the demands the owners and football fans have. The skill level and health risks aren't near as high at Wally world and the Big box stores.

Average playing time 3 years and a shorter life expectency plus having a microscope on you 24/7.

my daughter works at canterbury as a card dealer. AP comes there a few times and she has dealt to him. she said he is a very nice person, polite, and a great personality. i dont know why he said what he said, maby just had a bad day but he was wrong and i bet he would of changed the wording of his statement if he had the chance.

there may be slavery in some parts of the world today, but it doesn't exist in this country. the last contract in our union [i'm retired] had the pensions cut in half, wages frozen for two years, and a week of vacation taken away among some other things. AP is blessed with great talent but there are better ways to debate his financial situation. good luck.

Nearly 7 billion people in the world, only about 1300 are capable of playing the game at the NFL level each year. Rather small supply for the demands the owners and football fans have. The skill level and health risks aren't near as high at Wally world and the Big box stores.

Average playing time 3 years and a shorter life expectency plus having a microscope on you 24/7.

For millions of dollars each year, plus a pretty much full free ride through college, they had better be that good. And if they don't want the money and the spotlight, there is always a job at big box stores, wally world, and meat packing plants for them.

Oh wait, they took the money and the fame. They get the package deal. And the package deal is a far reach from slavery.

there may be slavery in some parts of the world today, but it doesn't exist in this country. the last contract in our union [i'm retired] had the pensions cut in half, wages frozen for two years, and a week of vacation taken away among some other things. AP is blessed with great talent but there are better ways to debate his financial situation. good luck.

^ Bingo. That's reality, not the put on a pedestal professional athletes of today. Are there tradeoffs? Of course. But they are making that choice, not being forced by the threat of physical harm or death.

I have absolutely zero problem with them making the money they do, or even trying to get as much as they can. I do have a problem with them not appreciating the opportunity that has been presented to them, or making outlandish statements portraying themselves as victims.