• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Convert

Hammy

I picked up my first bow yesterday and am really looking forward to learning the art. I read a lot here and there about this bow and that but went with what felt right. I picked up a G5 rev from Bwana's and can't wait to get those groupings a little tighter.

Thanks to everyone that has been posting tips and giving good advice to those of us starting out. There is a lot of "my way or the highway" advice out there and it is nice to know I can come back here and interact with some folks who know what they're doing.

welcome hammy, but i must warn you....this club is more like a cult...bowhunting is kind of addicting smile

Welcome from Rippiinlip too, but I must admit what matchset said is more like it!

Welcome to the "cult" of bowhunting!

You have come to great site with alot of bowhunters from all levels so the perspective is seen from all eyes.

Thanks all. I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else, but what do you think about learning and practicing to shoot with your ankles together like they will be in a stand? It made sense to me, but what do I know?

Hammy,

Practice everyway you can think of...sitting, standing, feet apart, feet together and every other way you can imagine. Because that first time you have a deer in front of you with bow in hand, your going to draw no matter what position and feel the rush like no other. Welcome to the cult!!

If you're just starting out, stand up straight right in front of the target. Learn to shoot first before you start trying different positions. Concentrate on every shot, and once you start shooting good groups, then you can start to shake things up.

I'd suggest joining a local archery club and get on an outdoor league this summer. Start shooting 3D shoots. These are the best ways to face as close as possible hunting situations.

Good luck!

I concur, I have bought at least 3 bows from them...fine folks indeed. Welcomeo the circle of bowhunters!

I'll echo a bit of what Donbo stated...As far as practicing, work on proper shooting technique...ie anchoring point, not tourqing bow, ect waaay before you start moving onto shooting from different positions...IMHO...gain confidence in one thing first, then move on. But it is indeed very helpful to shoot from various positions!

A question on draw length. I do not know what I am at now, it is whatever Junior set it at when he set up the bow.

I "feel" like another .5 inch would help me engage my back. I mentioned this at teh range and was [PoorWordUsage]-pooed.

Also, after 3 trips to the range, I have noticed a "hiccup." When I'm at full draw and I'm squeezing the release and waiting to fire, occasionaly the bow string jumps out of full draw and I need to pull back again to get to full draw. It is only an inch and I don't know how to explain it other than a hiccup. My draw weight is just over 50#'s on a 60# bow and I can comfortably and with control draw the weight of the bow, even towards the end of the range session. Someone at the range saw me do this and suggested a longer draw length might help.

Thoughts? Thanks

I am still shooting at 10 yards , I told myself I needed to bust a nock before I shoot 15 or 20. I've ripped a couple flecthes but still have 6 good nocks. This is a lot of fun!!!

To get an estimate at your draw length take a tap measure and hold the tape end in your left hand and draw back the other end as if you were using your bow. Once at full draw note the area at the corner of your mouth. That gives you the added distance for your release. That will tell you your draw length. If you get to much on your draw length it will mess up your shot once you start getting out at longer ranges. At close ranges the flaws don't show up as much but once you start increasing your range in shots, the flaws show up in where your arrow hits. I have lost a lot of arrows learning proper mechanics in shooting smile

Learning how to shoot takes time. When you get to full draw try "squeezing your shoulder blades together some to add some tension in your draw and keep them flexed. It sounds like the same problem I used to have when I first started. I would slightly relax my tension and it seemed my bow would want to hiccup. Once I tried increasing my tension in my upper back, it went away.

Another tip don't worry about trying to bust your nocks before moving out to a farther range. Try and get good tight groupings with your shots and then move out in range. I would suggest trying to move out to 20 yards then 30 yards and so on. When shooting at longer ranges try to keep your arrows within say a pie tin in diameter when first starting out. Once you get more practice your shot groupings will get better and better. I remember reading somewhere that the average distance a deer is shot is somewhere around 20 yards. The point is get comfortable shooting at 20, 30 to 40 yard ranges (depending on how far your bow can shoot and how comfortable you are shooting at long distances). Then if you want to focus on the fine tuning of shooting.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I wish I had known about a HSOforum like this years ago when I first started shooting. It would have saved a lot of time and lots of lost arrows. Good luck and I hope this helps.

im in the same boat as Hammy. i got my first bow yesterday a bowtech general! im so happy!! i got it from my buddy who let me shoot it a couple of times over winter break at gander moutain and loved it. he is buying a new bow this summer and asked if i would want to buy it. he is giving me everthing execpt broadheads. i love reading all the tips you guys put on the forms. i have one question he is giving me 75 gr. goldtip arrows should i go out and buy 100 gr. arrows?

im in the same boat as Hammy. i got my first bow yesterday a bowtech general! im so happy!! i got it from my buddy who let me shoot it a couple of times over winter break at gander moutain and loved it. he is buying a new bow this summer and asked if i would want to buy it. he is giving me everthing execpt broadheads. i love reading all the tips you guys put on the forms. i have one question he is giving me 75 gr. goldtip arrows should i go out and buy 100 gr. arrows?

Good choice, from what I hear that is a super smooth bow.