• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Wisconsin weekend

I left for Ashland on Thursday to fish Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior. I have never ice fished the big lake before, and only fished it on a charter boat once out of Bayfield. I met up with a group of women from Wisconsin Women Fish and 3 of my good friends from Minnesota and headed out Friday morning to catch some fish. I was apprehensive about driving my car out so I took my wheeler, the weather was fairly nice so it was a fun trip out. With the long and snowy winter I have hardly ridden my wheeler and the feeling was great.

We spent the whole day running and gunning without a lot of luck. We had to come in at 4 to meet and greet some of the late comers. Some of the gals stayed out and had more luck than us, some coho's, whitefish, and brown trout. Diner was a fish fry at the Chequamegon Hotel and it was great.

Saturday we woke up to a snow and drizzle mix and the prediction of a windy and raw day. We headed out to the spot where Dawn had such good luck the night before and started drilling holes.There was 14 of us and I will say that all of these women fished their hearts out. I caught my first whitefish and a ton of perch (little ones). One of the gals got a 26" northern and several of the new gals caught whitefish also. We stayed in pretty much the same location and peppered the area with holes. With about 8 tents set up and the windy conditions we decided not to move. We spent around 10 hours out there before we headed in.

Sunday a few stayed to fish and the 4 of us from Minnesota decided to head back home again. I was pretty sore and stiff from drilling holes and sitting on a bucket all day Saturday.

While I only caught 2 whitefish and 1 keeper perch it was a great weekend. I met a bunch of new gals and connected up with several good friends. It was good company, good eats, a lot of new knowledge about ice fishing and a real desire to go back and try it again. Thank you Barb Carey from Wisconsin for organizing this.

PS I caught the 2 whitefish on a Hali Jig which I have never used before and I love it.

Sounds like you had a good time. I went to college there ans lived for 5 years. My wife is from Ashland too so we get back up there often and 2 weeks ago I took my 10 year old son out fishing on the bay right next to the oredock. Glad you had fun.

It was a fun time, I too was very tired after the weekend but the highlight for me was catching Barbs shack before it blew away with her in it. Wish I could have had more energy but with the back and head injuries that I had and was taking meds for prevented me from being crazy at all.