• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's time to buy a power auger :-)

THavas

I have come to the conclusion that myself (and the lady) are ready to buy a power auger. Let's hear what you have...or would like to have. I was leaning towards a Strikemaster...possibly a Pro Lazer 8"...but for the mere difference of $20 should I just go with the 10"...or is it just overkill. Thanks for any suggestions in advance. Purchases like these I reach out to fellow fisherman as yourselves for suggestions based on use and knowledge.

PS: Fishing is still good! :-)

You can't go wrong with any of the Strikemasters these days. I'd recommend the 8 inch over the 10 inch (note: some of the strikemasters are 10.25"), but it all comes down to personal preference. I've never caught a fish that wouldn't fit in a 8 inch hole, not saying it couldn't happen but it totally depends on the type of fishing you do. I have noticed that there is a noticeable difference in weight when you go from the 8 to 10 inch as well, another thing to consider. One other thing I will add, I don't like that my flasher could fit down my 10.25 inch hole either being that your flasher is always sitting right next to the hole. All it takes is one clumsy person in your fish house to stumble and kick it in, but then again, I'd have them buy me a new flasher out of the deal. Good luck with your purchase

Me on the other hand I'd go with the 10", I've owned both and I'd grab the 10" anytime I go up north for tip up fishing or hole hopping when it's cold. Sure a big fish can technically fit through an 8" hole but not when it's fighting and your trying to turn its head, then on top of that 1-2 inches of ice forms all the way around your hole now its a little thing your supposed to pull up a 20lb pike through, good luck.

It definitely depends what kind of fishing you plan on doing and what species your after. I lost a 10lb + walleye on Rainy Lake hole hopping with my 8 inch Nils because the hole ends up being 4-6 inches when it freezes up a bit. The last 2 trips I used my buddies auger that I sold him thats a 10" lol. I'm gonna go get me a new 10 inch in the offseason. So I guess my answer is get both muahahahahha.

You can't go wrong with any of the Strikemasters these days. I'd recommend the 8 inch over the 10 inch (note: some of the strikemasters are 10.25"), but it all comes down to personal preference. I've never caught a fish that wouldn't fit in a 8 inch hole, not saying it couldn't happen but it totally depends on the type of fishing you do. I have noticed that there is a noticeable difference in weight when you go from the 8 to 10 inch as well, another thing to consider. One other thing I will add, I don't like that my flasher could fit down my 10.25 inch hole either being that your flasher is always sitting right next to the hole. All it takes is one clumsy person in your fish house to stumble and kick it in, but then again, I'd have them buy me a new flasher out of the deal. Good luck with your purchase

+1. I couldn't agree more! I have dropped blackberry's down the hole...just think if I told the wife my vex went down! uggggg.

after drilling manually in 2 feet of ice last feb, that was my first purchase this fall, bought used magnum iii (strikemaster) for $100 and took to strikemaster for $60 tune up, perfect ever since. my personal theory is never by new for something only gonna use half the year (snowblower, ice fishing, open water, etc) unless electronics. plenty of sales on HSO-Classifieds now but do your homework. mine is single blade 8 inch and i love it. when i get better & take kids may switch to dual blade, strikemaster ppl said i could do that with same powerhead for $95. drilling 30 holes on single blade can be little tiring.

My partner has a 10 inch srtike master and we drill the holes for the portable with it but use my 8 inch jiffy for all the outside holes. He about broke his ankle a couple years ago by stepping into one of his many 10 inch holes. I also use those little red metal rod holders for my ice rods and when I am deadsticking I will not lose my rod down an 8 inch hole if a fish strikes and runs. But with a 10 inch hole the rig would be pulled in if I didn't get to it fast enough.

I lost a 10lb + walleye on Rainy Lake hole hopping with my 8 inch Nils because the hole ends up being 4-6 inches when it freezes up a bit.

If you keep your hole clean of ice/slush/snow you wouldn't have this issue and the 8 inch hole would suffice.

For what it's worth, I have a 10 inch and I'd trade it in for a 8 inch in a heartbeat if I could

I would get the 8" for now and them when the ice show comes back around in the fall go pick yourself up a 10" bit for $50 like I did. Now you will have both. I like to use the 10" in the wheel house and the 8" in the portable.

Also if you have young kids or are planning to then I would highly advise the 8" for when they are with. A friend of mine saved his kid from a 10" hole at the last second. A 10" hole will swallow a small kid or any other object a lot quicker than an 8" will.

Those darn ice holes are like magnets and anything that drops near them will no doubt be at the bottom of the lake in no time. cool

I bought a new auger last year and went with a StrikeMaster Lazer 8". I have small children who like to find the hole with their foot every other outing so a 8" keeps me more at ease on the ice.

8" has served me very well and I honestly have zero regrets after using for two full seasons. The reduction in weight is a huge plus as well.

Great time to buy with all the sales going on. Don't be afraid to shoot them an offer. I was able to get 20% off the floor model which was just as good as one in the box. Also I would personally recommend the Strikemaster Lazer Pro 8". It is a screaming, ice cutting machine. Took mine out for the first time the other day and could not believe how well it cut. The new Solo is a great motor. Just my opinion.

To be honest any one of the new model Jiffy, Eskimo, Nils, Strikemaster will serve you well. Eskimo and Strikemaster are Local in MN/WI with great customer service.

U cant really go wrong with either those brands as long as their the current models for each company.

I purchased a used Strikemaster this season that came with both 8 and 10 inch drills. I put new blades on both to see which I prefer and I now use only the 8". I do not have small kids to worry about. I fish out of a Quickflip 2 and like the fact that there is more floor space with the 8" holes, my flasher will not fit down the hole, etc. Did I mention that the 8" cuts holes WAAAAAAAY quicker as well.

Jiffy is also in Wisconsin and every bit as good as any other mentioned. I always go with an 8. No need to open half the lake for kids and other valuables to fall through. They weigh less and cut faster as well. Never a problem landing even big fish.

i have had a jiffy lightning xt for 2 seasons now. i broke the recoil, they promptly sent me a new one under warranty. and its not really idling now like it used to... maybe bad gas.

i beat it up quite a bit and its held up well. but after tearing into it a bit i am less than impressed with the plastic housings. but none of it has broken yet!

that being said i would still take it over a strikemaster lazer, you get tougher handles and the blades are durable, easy to sharpen, and dont need adjustments.

if i needed a new one right now i would take a good look at the eskimos!

I had an eight inch for years and switched to ten last year for the wheel house. Every now and then the house doesn't get a good seal and I have holes shrink over the weekend. With the ten inch I can afford to have the hole shrink a bit. I k ow some will say keep your holes cleaned out and won't freeze but on occasions overnight in minus thirty or forty degrees on lotw those thiNgs happen.

If you keep your hole clean of ice/slush/snow you wouldn't have this issue and the 8 inch hole would suffice.

For what it's worth, I have a 10 inch and I'd trade it in for a 8 inch in a heartbeat if I could

I'm talking real world here, lets see you drill 50 holes to hole hop and keep them all clean when it's below zero outside. If your down to do that you can come fishing with me anyday lol.

Same goes for the people that step into holes, you can just say watch where you walk and you don't have to worry about it, my Marcum or Vex has never even moved from the spot I set it while I'm fishing. If you lose your flasher down a hole you got issues.

I got an 8 inch Nils if you got a 10" solo to trade.

I'm talking real world here, lets see you drill 50 holes to hole hop and keep them all clean when it's below zero outside. If your down to do that you can come fishing with me anyday lol.

Same goes for the people that step into holes, you can just say watch where you walk and you don't have to worry about it, my Marcum or Vex has never even moved from the spot I set it while I'm fishing. If you lose your flasher down a hole you got issues.

I got an 8 inch Nils if you got a 10" solo to trade.

I never have to drill 50 holes to find the fish! Haha just kidding. But seriously, if you are losing so many monster fish in your 8 inch hole, I guess that's your problem and maybe you should bring me fishing with you and you can use my 10 inch auger wink. Smaller augers aren't for everyone. If a person only targets panfish, why would they need a 10 inch hole? I doubt there is a panfish on this planet that couldn't fit thru a 8 inch hole

I'd trade you for your Nils in a heartbeat but I think they don't work on strikemaster power heads because they spin the wrong way. I could be mistaken tho. Can anyone confirm this? I have always wanted a Nils

As for losing your flasher down the hole, it doesn't have to be you that loses it, could be a fishing partner that accidently kicks it in or your kid, wife or even a dog. I'v never lost a flasher down the hole but looking at the thread about it from yesterday, it shows it can happen, and I firmly believe everyone who posted that they have fished a flasher out of the water doesnt have issues (just bad luck). All it takes is one clumsy step. Bad things/luck happen once in a while, and it doesn't mean you have issues. If you read my post, all I said is I don't like the fact that a flasher can fit thru a 10 inch hole.

Same goes for stepping in a 10 inch hole, it doesn't have to be your fault. You could come to a fishing spot and accidently step into someones old hole that they stupidly filled with snow before they left. Once again, it doesn't mean you have issues. Crazier things have been known to happen. Yes stepping in someone elses hole is irrelevant to the auger size you have, but I'm just making a point.

Good info here. I was told by someone it depends on what you're fishing for. He told me that if all I was going to fish for was pan fish it was better to get a 6" because then when you get the slabs there's only one way they can travel. Which was up and not be able to make that turn back around and head back down.

But from the comments on here an 8" sounds like the best deal I assume.