• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New jigging rod

jmg

Kind of looking for a new jigging rod and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with the rods sold by Grandt Industries from Illinois? They were at the NW sports show last year and had some pretty nice, sensitive products for sale. Almost bought a ML 7' rod, but was a little leary, since I had never heard of them before and the rods weren't exactly cheap. Any input would be appreciated since the sports show will be here soon.

I bought a Grandt spinning rod at the sportsman show back in 98 (if I remember right). Nice rod and still have it, but I prefer my St.Croix's over it. Now the Grandt is only used by my wife or kids and they do fine with it.

Kind of looking for a new jigging rod and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with the rods sold by Grandt Industries from Illinois? They were at the NW sports show last year and had some pretty nice, sensitive products for sale. Almost bought a ML 7' rod, but was a little leary, since I had never heard of them before and the rods weren't exactly cheap. Any input would be appreciated since the sports show will be here soon.

if your in the market for a ML 7' rod check out Limit Creek's "smoothie". it is 6'9ML" very nice rod at the right price. it is a very light rod. easy to hang on to all day long.

I agree with Mike. I have a couple "Smoothies" and I like them very much. Great rod for the $. Actually I have been very happy with all my Limit Creek rods. I have a few 5' "Shorties" that I leadcore with and they have been a blast to use.

+2 on the Smoothies, and Limit Creek in general. Great general purpose / jigging rod for the $$$.

Northlander, have you used the new LM trolling rods?? Heard good things about them as leadcore rods. I got 2, and Shorty was free over at Deanstacklebox.

Looking forward to using them. Now if we could just use 2 lines. lol. Might be time to get serious about "The Manny (the Manequin) Fishin' Pardner" idea. He's always on time, never hung-over, never running his mouth, and has endless patience. Sleeps in boat when not fishing. wink

For those who have used the Limit Creek Smoothie... what quality of rod would you compare this to? Is it comparable to a St Croix Avid? A Shimano Compre?

When I bought my Smoothie, I had a similar length/action Avid and a Triumph all in my hands at the same time for comparison. On the showroom floor, you'd have a heck of a time telling any sort of difference between a Smoothie and Avid IMO. Then one look at the price tag and you ask yourself if one of those 2 rods is really worth twice the price of the other. That was how I felt at the time.

I've never jigged with a Smoothie in one hand and an Avid in the other but I think I'd be having the same discussion in my head.

Smoothie's are, IMO, way more sensitive and higher quality than the St. Croix Premieres. I've got several Premeires, and although okay rods, the Smoothies definately out perform them. Never had a Triumph, so no help there.

I agree the Smoothies are more sensitive than the Premieres. The Smoothie is a goo all purpose rod and really excells at casting jigs. However, I prefer the 6'6" medium for vertical jigging. I only have one and really need to get a second one. This rod is super lightweight and very sensitive.

mw

How about the smoothie vs the fenwick elite tech? I am stuck with a gift card to a place that only sell croix, loomis, fenwick, and scheels rods (and I can't fork out the extra cash for a loomis). Anyone tried a scheels rod? Thanks for the help guys!!!

Ugh...what I would give to cash this darn thing in and buy a smoothie!

How about the smoothie vs the fenwick elite tech? I am stuck with a gift card to a place that only sell croix, loomis, fenwick, and scheels rods (and I can't fork out the extra cash for a loomis). Anyone tried a scheels rod? Thanks for the help guys!!!

If you got a gift card that will cover the cost of an Elite Tech or even an Avid, might as well just get one. You won't be disappointed at all. I sort of look at it as cash out of my pocket, I'm going biggest bang for the buck. If I got a gift card, I don't mind splurging a bit.

I don't have experience with the smoothie, but in doing a lot of comparison, I'd say you can't go wrong with an avid or elite tech. I can't wait to get my elite tech out on the water. Just from feel compared to HMG's, St Croix Premier's, and Loomis GL2's, I'd say the Elite Tech is superior to all of them by more than a thin margin. You get a free pullover (in the mail) with the elite tech's right now also. After just doing all the research myself, I'd say go Elite Tech (Avid is excellent as well).

I don't have experience with the smoothie, but in doing a lot of comparison, I'd say you can't go wrong with an avid or elite tech. I can't wait to get my elite tech out on the water. Just from feel compared to HMG's, St Croix Premier's, and Loomis GL2's, I'd say the Elite Tech is superior to all of them by more than a thin margin. You get a free pullover (in the mail) with the elite tech's right now also. After just doing all the research myself, I'd say go Elite Tech (Avid is excellent as well).

Right now you can get a free hat and long sleeve T-shirt with the purchase of an Avid.

Well it's between the croix Avid, and the fenwick elite tech. I will be going to the store to compare any day here. Any last opinions on either? By the looks of it, you can't really go wrong with either. Can't wait to obtain and use my new tool!

honestly, the ugly stick or rino rods are fine with me. i know the higher priced ones are great with the lightness and sensitivity and all of that and are worth the money. my brother and his buddies are walking around with their loomis and other 200 dollar rods for the steelhead and loopers. but my $25 dollar rods i have are a few years old along with my reels and work fine. they might last longer than me grin. i got about 15 of the combos so i'tl be awhile. good luck.

Well it's between the croix Avid, and the fenwick elite tech. I will be going to the store to compare any day here. Any last opinions on either? By the looks of it, you can't really go wrong with either. Can't wait to obtain and use my new tool!

fishinfey, you won't be disappointed with the Elite tech Jigging series. Get the medium action rod in either 6'3" or 6'6"...

They are perfect for jigging, rigging, and bobber fishing.

bought an elite tech walleye jigging rod almost 2years ago and love it. most sensitive rod i've ever used. however cannot help but buy a new rod everyother season or so. bought the new Guide Series IM8 6'6' medium action for only $60. If i remember correctly my fenwick was around $130? maybe $150?? anyways the Guide Series is pretty much the exact same. You can never go wrong with Gander Mountain rods. As long as they're above the $45 range. anything cheaper youre just shooting yourself in the foot. Quality rods=finesse fishing.

Take a good look at the Scheels rods. They have some nice upper end stuff. Big thing is compare warranty. get one with over the counter if you can. If not compare cost to get a new one sent to ya if you should ever have a issue with it.

I have used so many jiggin rods it aint funny. My 3 all time favorites are a old St. Croix Avid, a old Fenwick HMG and now I use my "Smoothie" for most drifting or casting of jigs. I go a bit beefier when vertical jigging or using bigger jigs or spoons/blades.

I would say for over all bang for the buck that Limit Creek Smoothie was the best buy. I need to get one of their mediums to try out.