• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Fishing LoW

BertBuddy

I am planning on going to LoW the weekend of April 1st, to do some Northern fishing. I have never done this before, what do you guys think I need, or I will forget. I am thinking I will just use tip ups, but is there a rod you think i should use? Thanks for any advice in advance =)

If you are going to be in an area with northerns I would think almost any lure you use on walleyes will work for them as well. This year at local lakes we had better luck hitting northerns on crappie minnows then on sucker minnows. If it were me I would bring a stiff pole with 12 to 14 lb test and as many big ice jigs as you can and fish one line with a pole and the other with a tipup. If the tip ups are more active then put a second one down.

Yea that is what i was hearing but i was hoping that it would still be around. Maybe we will get a bunch of cold weather instead

There's always a good chance that there is ice left. Its not like the metro areas where its warmer. I was hoping we be able to drive on the hardwater for another week but with these warm ups I may have to resort to waterproof boots and ice cleats in the metro. Also choosing smaller lakes where I can drag my sled & equipment from the shore so I dont have to walk too far to get to a favorable spot.

Just because its forecasted to be maybe 60 degrees in the cities doesn't mean that temp is statewide?? Daytime highs in Warroad for the upcoming week is maybe 40 degrees on wednesday, colder the rest of the days.