• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mouth calls

FLnick87

I have been using the mouth calls for 3 or 4 years and have been pretty successful with certain ones. However, I try to buy some different ones to try and get some different pitches and some just sound terrible. One has such a squeeky high pitch it almost hurts the ears hah! is there anyway to attempt to modify them before tossing them out. they aren't cheep!

If they have the metal band that holds the reed in you can bend them a little and that will change the pitch. With the plastic one your kinda hosed you can put them back in your mouth farther so you get less pressure on the reed but you might gag on it also.

Nick,

The squeaky one sounds like the ticket for making whines and perts and other low volume calls that are great finishers....I always have 2 in my mouth at once. One a raspy, coarse tone and one a straight triple that I make those whines, perts and wildcat calls with.

WD

just before I tossed one, I cut a small slit in the elastic... Doesnt sound great, but I have heard live hens that I thought sounded worse. Might give it a try when calls 1, 2, and 3 dont work..

great point, I've heard some really horrible calling, and thought great some guy is ruining my hunt... only to find its a live bird. They don't always sound like what we hear on turkey hunting dvds smile

some days i think you could call em in with nails on a chalkboard, you just never know

High pitch is a good call to do a ki ki run, the poults make the sound when they are lost and when you do it right the family will come lookin! dont pitch it! it could be just what that turkeys lookin to hear on that day!