• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Maple Syrup Makers here?

EBass, they are in Menomonie, WI. It is right around $27 a gallon. They make the light amber.

35 to 1 ratio is really good! That puts you right around 2.46% sugar content. They were getting about 2.2% (39 to 1).

FYI:

86 / Gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup = sugar content %

or

86 / sugar content % = Gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.

A friend of mine made some for the first time this weekend. They got 11 pints. LOL

I have always had intentions to try and do it, but I never quite seem to make it happen.

We had two maple trees in our back yard at our old house. We used to go through all the work for 3 pints laughgrin . We usually got between 7 and 10 gallons of sap It seemed like our sap had a really high sugar content. The sap that would drip on the metal roof of the shed next to one of the trees would always turn to syrup just from sitting out in the sun. I used a turkey frier outside to do a bulk of the boil and then we would finish it on the stove. We never got a lot of syrup but it was still fun and we would get some really good syrup.

Dark Cloud -

You might need to make a trip next spring. Crappies, gills, tulibees, and maple tappin'.........all within a few hundred yards. I love living here.

When I retire in a few years, i'll be out every spring... Well, we can dream. cool