• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WCHA early departures

cbrooks

Matt Read signed a 3 year one way contract for 2.7 million with the Flyers after he finished his senior season. That is guaranteed money whether he plays in the AHL or NHL. I don't know about most... but some still get the one way deals.

Looks like you are right, he is too old to sign a rookie contract so he can go to the highest bidder, good for him.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two really big departures for UMD and I wonder who's next. According to Pates at the D.N.T., he believes there will be no further departures from Duluth. If that remains true, we could have another pretty solid team next year. Other potential departures remaining include Jack Connolly (Jr), Brady Lamb (Jr), and JT Brown (Fr). If they can keep Jack and JT, at least we won't be starting over.

There is also the risk of Sandelin being woo'ed away by Penn State. Wish they'd hurry up and hire Gwoz or Mark Johnson already.

Brooks, losing Dell would hurt big time. Guy was a rock between the pipes.

This could be a brutal off season for UND departure's. Dell is being rumored to have a two year contract offer from Montreal.Not too often he hear a college goaltender being courted by a NHL team. Tough to turn that down also. If UND loses him they have Theif River native Zane Gothberg(Fargo Force)to replace him.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=87797

Per UND, Dell is staying put.

I'm glad that shorelunch is right. Dell will return for his Jr year.

Interesting how the Matt Read one way contract situation work for him. He was too old for a rookie contract so his age worked in his advantage. Whats the maxium age for a rookie contract? This is something to think about as a college fan of the game. Those 22 year Canadian freshman don't look so bad now grin

UND got pledges to come back next season from Aaron Del, Ben Blood(can't believe he came back), and Danny Kristo. Brad Eidness and Jason Gergiore are the two that are at risk. I'm gonna say Jason Geregiore isn't coming back since the Islanders has his rights. That franchise has a habit of pulling its college drafted players out of school and putting them in the AHL, example Kyle Oskoso, Matt Donavan, and goalie Rick Dipietro(sp).

Dangit Brooks, quit bumping this thread! You're giving me chest pains. Badgers, we don't need no stinking Badgers. Also missing that Pride on Ice signature. That looked awful sharp.

I thought for sure this would have been the Jcon departure I've been dreading now for 2 weeks. Without him I'm afraid the Dogs would have a pretty dismal season next year. Oleksuk would center line 1 and then a huge fall off to line 2. With Jcon they might at least make things interesting if a couple of guys step up like I think they will (Seidel, Hendrikson, and Basaraba). This team will need a legit 2nd center to elevate some of the younger wingers.

On the flip, how are those Sioux going to be next year? Looks like you'll be running Gregoire, Knight, Kristo, and Nelson? If Gregoire stays it seems like a decent crew. If he leaves you have a pretty decent gap it seems from years past. But with Dell between the pipes anything is possible.

How are those Goph's looking for next year? No more Barriball, seems like he's been there for a decade. Bjugs and Haula going to be line 1 guys anchoring the team as Sophomores?

Also missing that Pride on Ice signature. That looked awful sharp.

How are those Goph's looking for next year? No more Barriball, seems like he's been there for a decade. Bjugs and Haula going to be line 1 guys anchoring the team as Sophomores?

Hmmm good question on the sig, I though he was suppose to keep it for a month. If the Sioux lost on 4/7 I would think 5/7 would be the date to pull the sig, unless brooks is using Sioux math. grin

Here is my take on the Gophs, our D will be young and probably not all that great. Marshall looks like a great player and should step in and hopefully put some decent numbers up but he can't be the leader and we will need everyone else to step up and improve on last year if they want to actually have some kind of post season success.

I was half way excited about our forward group last year but this year I have my doubts. We lost 3 key seniors and I know guys will step up somewhat I just don't know if they will step up enough for us to be considered any kind of contender.

I see Bjugs, Haula, Moped(Budish), Hanson, Condon and Matson as having the ability to step up their games, but the real question is how much will they step up. Just enough to hang around or sign with their NHL teams or will they step up enough to really lead the team and win us games. As for the rookies it's hard not to imagine Rau having a nice year and if Ambroz can clean up some garbage in front of the net I would be thrilled if he could net 10 goals. The other two, Boyd and Isackson don't come in with as much hype but I could see them pushing some of the lower line players/seniors for ice time and that could be a good thing.

Loving Patterson in net, please stay healthy.

Overall I have been a gopher optimist the past 3-4 years and they let me know every time. This year I just don't see it but I hope I am surprised. If we can get the current soph and freshman classed to hang around another year or two we might have a high quality team again but who knows if that is possible or if any of them will develop enough to get to that level.

My expert opinion says we will be b etter this upcming year. My biggest concern is player development. Rau will be an impact and ambroz will get a minimum of 15 goals. Put him out there with bjugs and hansen. I could see isackson putting up 7-10 goals too.

Not sure wht to think about defense. I think we will be better there. We didn't loose any good defense. And we have a bunch of semi experinced guys coming back. I think alt is going to be a all leaguer this year

That Ambroz Bjugs Hanson line does sound kind of beastly! Hanson didn't put up huge numbers last year but he really stepped up his play, I would love to see a big year out of him. You could trade out any of those guys for Budish and have a killer line too.

What happened to that optomistic bear with antlers.

On a terrific side note. My lenton commitments of no booze have experied. I would expect happier and funnier messages from me again. I don't think I can drink enough to stop bashing the sioux, but I will try to refrain until june. That's a tough goal.

Now on to my bottle of woodford reserve and ginger ale-don't ask.

I think my negativity is a lame attempt to reverse psych the gophers into the ncaa's next year.

For the gophs to do any damage next year Marshall and Rau will have to place 1 and 2 for rookie of the year and Bjugs is going to need to be an All American. Oh ya and a whole bunch of other guys are going to have career years.

Rumors are that Mike Cichy may follow, lack of playing.

Yeah, that would be too bad. He's been Jeckyl and Hyde, but he's shown up and had a few decent games, and then disappears. Wonder what going on there. Theoretically, he should get some considerable ice time this coming year.

Wasn't he the USHL MVP and the Canadians Jrs wanted him along with all the top colleges. He had high expectations that didn't pan out yet. he maybe played six games last year. I couldn't tell you if he looked good or bad. never heard anything from him. Kind of a mystery.